GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Creaking/Clicking Noise when braking

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-16, 07:52 PM
hvargas
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Creaking/Clicking Noise when braking

Hi everyone:

So I just had my mechanic replace my front-left wheel bearing. Upon leaving the shop, I noticed that there was a "clicking" noise whenever I would brake. I took it back to the shop and he said that the "creaking" noise is when the space between the brake pad and the caliper is too dry. He lubricated it which at first seemed to solve the problem but shortly after the noise returned. I'm probably going to try and bring it back to have him inspect it again but curious if anyone else has had this noise come up for them before.

I found a youtube video online that demonstrates the sound:

Thanks!
Old 09-09-16, 11:30 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

that much clicking is not normal.

however at low speed in the driveway, i notice two clicks at most as the brake grabs
Old 09-09-16, 12:25 PM
Sodium
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by hvargas
Hi everyone:

So I just had my mechanic replace my front-left wheel bearing. Upon leaving the shop, I noticed that there was a "clicking" noise whenever I would brake. I took it back to the shop and he said that the "creaking" noise is when the space between the brake pad and the caliper is too dry. He lubricated it which at first seemed to solve the problem but shortly after the noise returned. I'm probably going to try and bring it back to have him inspect it again but curious if anyone else has had this noise come up for them before.

I found a youtube video online that demonstrates the sound: Brake Clicking Noise!!! - YouTube

Thanks!
I've never had clicking like that on my GS, but my sister's Camry had a clicking sound from the left front wheel well that sounded almost exactly like the one in the video – turned out that the bracket holding a temperature probe (the one that detects the ambient temperature for the outside air temp. display) had broken and the probe would swing around under braking and cause the noise.

After he lubriacated the calipers, how many km did you drive before the clicking came back?
Old 09-09-16, 02:59 PM
hvargas
Driver

Originally Posted by Sodium
I've never had clicking like that on my GS, but my sister's Camry had a clicking sound from the left front wheel well that sounded almost exactly like the one in the video – turned out that the bracket holding a temperature probe (the one that detects the ambient temperature for the outside air temp. display) had broken and the probe would swing around under braking and cause the noise.

After he lubriacated the calipers, how many km did you drive before the clicking came back?
Probably less than 5KM - it started pretty much right away again.

Hmmm in that video's user comments, apparently it turned out to be the "brake spindles". Not sure if that's a possibility with this car?

My mechanic seems confident that it isn't anything that could damage the car - he was pretty sure that it was what he said it was in my original post. I'll probably bring it in next week to have him look at it but it's a little frustrating that it started up right after the original problem was fixed (the wheel bearing).
Old 09-09-16, 06:04 PM
Sodium
Lead Lap

Probably less than 5KM - it started pretty much right away again.

Hmmm in that video's user comments, apparently it turned out to be the "brake spindles". Not sure if that's a possibility with this car?

My mechanic seems confident that it isn't anything that could damage the car - he was pretty sure that it was what he said it was in my original post. I'll probably bring it in next week to have him look at it but it's a little frustrating that it started up right after the original problem was fixed (the wheel bearing).
I believe the brake spindle is another term for the steering knuckle on our cars.

Unless he applied a microscopic amount of lube or used the wrong kind of lube, there's no way it should start clicking again after 5km – caliper lube should lubricate for the life of the pads.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if a bolt or nut wasn't torqued to spec. Could be that the bolts holding the caliper to the steering knuckle are a bit loose, and so braking causes the calipers to move a bit and click against the bolt. Or maybe the anti-rattle spring got bent a bit so the pads are now able to rattle. If you have a torque wrench, you could check both of those in 15 minutes, and check that all the other bolts are properly torqued as well

And yeah I'd be more than a little frustrated myself – apart from the repair causing a new problem, a clicking noise would annoy me far more than a whirring.

Good luck!
Old 09-14-16, 02:53 PM
hvargas
Driver

Just an update - sound is gone!

Turned out to be what my mechanic said it was the first time - space between pad and caliper dries up and begins to creak. This time instead of just lubing it, he cleaned it out first and then lubed it and it seems to have done the trick... I've put 200KM+ on it and no screams coming from my front-left tire when I brake so I'm happy
Old 09-15-16, 02:16 AM
Sodium
Lead Lap

Just an update - sound is gone!

Turned out to be what my mechanic said it was the first time - space between pad and caliper dries up and begins to creak. This time instead of just lubing it, he cleaned it out first and then lubed it and it seems to have done the trick... I've put 200KM+ on it and no screams coming from my front-left tire when I brake so I'm happy
Haha dude your mechanic sounds kinda lazy – I would've thought he would clean the caliper/pad/shims before lubing them
up the first time

Glad to hear everything's back to normal though!
Old 02-08-17, 05:04 PM
hvargas
Driver

Hmmm...posting here because sound is back!

It actually came back a few weeks ago, my mechanic did the same procedure and the sound was gone. Today however, I notice that it's back and creaking really loudly (I was doing a lot of stop and go today).

Just reviving this thread to see if anyone knows a permanent solution to this. My mechanic is probably going to replace the front brakes in a month or 2 - should I stick with OEM or is there another brand that might avoid this problem in the future?
Old 02-09-17, 09:06 PM
Gs3500
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Oem if u really want to minimize noise issues