GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Backup cam stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-16, 03:21 PM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Backup cam stopped working

ive had the worst luck with my car this past month, today I had my gf driving my car and she goes to leave our driveway, backup camera is black and flickering, could just see tiny glimpses of what should be there but 95% black.. Rest of nav, touch screen functions still work fine. Do you think it's just the camera has gone bad or wiring? I'm hoping my warranty will cover this or it won't be too expensive
Old 09-20-16, 03:32 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Happens with mine from time to time. It's actually pretty common with these cars. Happened to mine for a couple days straight, but has been fine for almost a year. Had it happen once randomly after, but it's been pretty good for the most part. It won't just come back if you shift back into park, then back into reverse; you need to turn the car off and give it a few. Sounds like a lame workaround, but it's worked for myself and several others on here. Funny thing is, it happened the first time when I let me gf drive the car, and I get a text with a pic that said "I SWEAR I DIDN'T TOUCH ANYTHING!" haha. If it keeps acting up for a few days, you might want to check the wiring yourself, or have a tech look at it. Good luck.
Old 09-20-16, 03:51 PM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Yeah my girlfriend said the same thing haha, (she broke my vent for my a/c a couple weeks ago pushing the clip away) and next two times we started the car it worked fine, so I'm guessing it must be something with the wiring, still shouldn't happen though.
Old 09-20-16, 05:25 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

It happened once every few months on my IS250. As long as it doesn't happen on a regular basis, I wouldn't worry about it
Old 09-20-16, 05:53 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

It might sound dumb, but I noticed it only happens during the transitions between seasons. Goes from mid 70s and dry, to upper 40s and damp in a blink of an eye here in WA. Might mess with the wiring and other materials within the car. Maybe they're not the best of quality? Either way, I never see it do this during winter or summer, just fall mostly. Then again, it could be coincidental... Maybe I need to pray to the Toyota gods more? After all, "it's just a Toyota."
Old 09-21-16, 04:36 AM
Stoodo
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 43 Posts

I rarely use my trunk. Mine happens most often when I slam the trunk. I have to get out and slam it again. That weird belt thing on the driver's side of the trunk is the ribbon cable that connects everything. You can try to unplug and replug that connector.
Old 09-23-16, 12:10 AM
Sodium
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Stoodo
That weird belt thing on the driver's side of the trunk is the ribbon cable that connects everything. You can try to unplug and replug that connector.
Yep, I was going to suggest this exact same thing, or at least check that the cable is fully connected

Originally Posted by Lukas99GS
(she broke my vent for my a/c a couple weeks ago pushing the clip away)
Haha and the casualties keep piling up. Maybe she subconsciously wants to kill your GS because, at least on some level, she can't stand the thought of you loving anything besides her!

Were you able to replace the vent?
Old 09-23-16, 06:07 AM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Im waiting to get a new vent because I just had to drop an absurd amount of money at the dealership last week, kind of raced a guy on the highway and went way too fast, and my underbody shield and fender liner came loose and basically got torn up, so Lexus replaced those and claimed my tire was shot from it rubbing so two new Michelin pilot sports up front :'( can't really be mad at anyone but myself for that though
Old 09-23-16, 02:43 PM
Sodium
Lead Lap

Im waiting to get a new vent because I just had to drop an absurd amount of money at the dealership last week, kind of raced a guy on the highway and went way too fast, and my underbody shield and fender liner came loose and basically got torn up, so Lexus replaced those and claimed my tire was shot from it rubbing so two new Michelin pilot sports up front :'( can't really be mad at anyone but myself for that though
Damn, sorry to hear that bro if you don't mind my asking, how fast were you going?

If you're not the first owner, it may actually not be your fault. I got mine at ~50,000 miles, and all but one of the tabs that attach the underbody panel to the front bumper had been sheared off, and the middle of the underbody panel was actually sagging because several of the clips and screws were missing – presumably the first owner used the "keep going until the nose scrapes on the curb/cinderblock" method to know he had pulled far enough into a parking spot. You were probably also missing some clips.

And actually I see this a lot more frequently than I should, cars on the freeway with one of the underbody panels hanging off, flapping around in the wind – most of them are either Audi A4s or VW hatchbacks
Old 09-23-16, 09:56 PM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

I know at least one clip was broken from the bumper that screws into the underbody shield from scraping a curb. Possibly more were, I plan on getting a new bumper and getting it painted eventually anyway, and I believe I hit 155. Definitely the fastest I've ever gone in a car. Not proud of it but I didn't want to let a Chrysler 200 think it could beat a GS
Old 09-24-16, 10:50 AM
Sodium
Lead Lap

I know at least one clip was broken from the bumper that screws into the underbody shield from scraping a curb. Possibly more were, I plan on getting a new bumper and getting it painted eventually anyway, and I believe I hit 155. Definitely the fastest I've ever gone in a car. Not proud of it but I didn't want to let a Chrysler 200 think it could beat a GS
Yeah I'm going to need both bumpers replaced at some point, but since I have the tricoat paint it's going to cost around $45 million to have them painted ah well, thus is life!

And you should most definitely be proud! You defended the honor not only of your car, but the cars of everyone else here as well. And anyways there's nothing wrong with going 155 since the whole "speed kills" thing is a load of bullcrap – it's actually acceleration that kills.
Old 09-24-16, 12:21 PM
tayslexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine sometimes flicks when I reverse inside my building's garage and it happened once when I was parking underground in a mall. It's weird only happens indoor.

Not proud of it but I didn't want to let a Chrysler 200 think it could beat a GS
lol you don't have to go full throttle to beat that car, half way you still gonna win. I'm sick of seeing small car owners go so fast trying to pass EVERYONE on the street, they think they have an LFA or something, also cornering with 195 width tires. Their a** should be kicked sometimes.
Old 09-24-16, 02:31 PM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Originally Posted by tayslexus
Mine sometimes flicks when I reverse inside my building's garage and it happened once when I was parking underground in a mall. It's weird only happens indoor.

lol you don't have to go full throttle to beat that car, half way you still gonna win. I'm sick of seeing small car owners go so fast trying to pass EVERYONE on the street, they think they have an LFA or something, also cornering with 195 width tires. Their a** should be kicked sometimes.
yeah it gets annoying, he saw me pass someone going like 80 then flew past me going 100 so he had a big head start, I'm pretty sure his car topped out around 130-140, he had to get behind me then I calmly put my sunshade up.