GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Tire recommendations for ride/treadlife ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-16, 09:23 AM
gr8fulRed
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Tire recommendations for ride/treadlife ?

The Michelin Pilot Sport 3 A/S's are all but done. I'm with a few thousand miles of these tires being shot and they will have about 43k on them. The tire is a 45k mile rated tire. Car always kept in alignment, rotated every 5k like clockwork, proper air levels, etc...plus...70% of my mileage is probably highway, so I kind of expected to get 45k easily...maybe even with miles to spare as I have often with other tires. I'm looking to sacrifice a bit of performance (handling, cornering, etc) for better tread life and as forgiving a ride as possible...while still staying with an OEM size tire (245/45/18). I'm leaning towards the Continental Pure Contact. Has good reviews and a 70k tread rating. Anyone have any experience with these on the GS's?? Good, bad or indifferent?? Any other tire I should consider for what it is I'm looking for?

Thanks !!
Old 09-21-16, 09:54 AM
pbxcomm
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had purchased (recently) a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 3+ A/S.. This is the new generation of Michelin's Pilot A/S. So far, as they break in, the ride is formidable, forgiving..
The side walls may be a bit soft for this vehicle. These are also very quiet on most any road surface. As far as mileage, I keep these at 30lbs., and am getting around 23 local driving to upwards of 32 on the hwy (average). I would recommend these..
Old 09-21-16, 01:19 PM
tayslexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gr8fulRed
The Michelin Pilot Sport 3 A/S's are all but done. I'm with a few thousand miles of these tires being shot and they will have about 43k on them. The tire is a 45k mile rated tire. Car always kept in alignment, rotated every 5k like clockwork, proper air levels, etc...plus...70% of my mileage is probably highway, so I kind of expected to get 45k easily...maybe even with miles to spare as I have often with other tires. I'm looking to sacrifice a bit of performance (handling, cornering, etc) for better tread life and as forgiving a ride as possible...while still staying with an OEM size tire (245/45/18). I'm leaning towards the Continental Pure Contact. Has good reviews and a 70k tread rating. Anyone have any experience with these on the GS's?? Good, bad or indifferent?? Any other tire I should consider for what it is I'm looking for?

Thanks !!
Isn't the OEM tire size 245/40/18?
Old 09-22-16, 11:46 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

damn, that's great that you're almost getting full life out of your tires.

I have conti DWS on mine, and they're half gone already with regular rotation every 5k, and I haven't even driven 12000 miles on them. Most of my driving is local though, so lots of turns and such.
it's a 50k rated tire, came with 11/32 tread, and I'm already down to 6-7/32 after 12k.

I don't expect to get even 30k out of the DWS, just like the factory dunlops it came with.
I don't think the camber and toe gives us good tire life
Old 10-26-16, 02:19 AM
Kelziam
Driver School Candidate

I would like a very quiet however long lasting tire such as Yokohama or Michelin.
Old 10-26-16, 08:04 AM
SILENTM
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Pirelli P7
Old 10-26-16, 10:41 AM
Hasman69
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

So I have a 2 part question. I got a flat tire last night. Took it to the local Discount Tire and they are saying its not repairable and need to be replaced. Now I have 2 options, either just replace the 1 tire which is a Dunlop 5000 run-flat for $350 or replace all 4 of them with Yokohama YK740 All Season Tires with a 60,000 mile warranty for about $775.
So my question is a) I purchased the 2009 GS 350 last year as a Certified Used Lexus so still under the L-Certified warranty and when I look at the service history, looks like the previous owner had all 4 tires replaced in Feb 2014 at 27000 miles at the Lexus dealer where I purchased it from. so will this by any chance be covered under warranty? I am currently at 37000 miles. I called them and they are asking me to bring it in for them to take a look and its a 2 hour drive that I will have to make while on my spare wheel that I am only going to make if I have more than a good chance of this being covered and not them trying to just sell me a new tire.
And say, if with my luck, it's not covered under warranty then, b) Should I replace just the 1 damaged run-flat with same or go ahead and replace all 4 with all-season. Just trying to figure out how much of a ride difference will it be.
Are all season tires better on the GS ?

Thanks in advance.
Hasman69.
Old 10-26-16, 07:53 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by gr8fulRed
I'm leaning towards the Continental Pure Contact.
My brother has these on his 2GS for a year now (minus 5 months of winter tires). They're pretty whiny and loud in my books.
Old 10-26-16, 09:16 PM
SILENTM
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Hasman69
So I have a 2 part question. I got a flat tire last night. Took it to the local Discount Tire and they are saying its not repairable and need to be replaced. Now I have 2 options, either just replace the 1 tire which is a Dunlop 5000 run-flat for $350 or replace all 4 of them with Yokohama YK740 All Season Tires with a 60,000 mile warranty for about $775.
So my question is a) I purchased the 2009 GS 350 last year as a Certified Used Lexus so still under the L-Certified warranty and when I look at the service history, looks like the previous owner had all 4 tires replaced in Feb 2014 at 27000 miles at the Lexus dealer where I purchased it from. so will this by any chance be covered under warranty? I am currently at 37000 miles. I called them and they are asking me to bring it in for them to take a look and its a 2 hour drive that I will have to make while on my spare wheel that I am only going to make if I have more than a good chance of this being covered and not them trying to just sell me a new tire.
And say, if with my luck, it's not covered under warranty then, b) Should I replace just the 1 damaged run-flat with same or go ahead and replace all 4 with all-season. Just trying to figure out how much of a ride difference will it be.

Thanks in advance.
Hasman69.
In the long run the regular all season non-run flat would be better for cost, comfort and tread wear since you have a spare it's not really necessary to keep the run-flats. If anything just replace the pair front or back with the all season. I doubt the tires would be under their warranty since it was by outside influence. They should be able to tell you over the phone if its covered don't know why they would need to see it.
Hope this helps
Old 10-27-16, 07:55 AM
Hasman69
Driver

Thanks in advance.
Hasman69.
So negative on the warranty, I guess I am in the market for 4 new tires.
I have been looking all over the internet and even at TireRack.com unfortunately not too many reviews on the GS.
I had my mind set on the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 until I saw the TireRack Test video. Now I am starting to lean towards the Pirelli P Zero but from the reviews I read, not too good on the snow
Is it too much to ask for a quiet all season tire with good wet/dry and snow traction without loosing on the sporty feel ?

SILENTM - Thanks for the info.

Gr8gulred - Have you decided on which ones to go with ?
Old 10-27-16, 12:21 PM
MrBk
Driver School Candidate

So negative on the warranty, I guess I am in the market for 4 new tires.
I have been looking all over the internet and even at TireRack.com unfortunately not too many reviews on the GS.
I had my mind set on the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 until I saw the TireRack Test video. Now I am starting to lean towards the Pirelli P Zero but from the reviews I read, not too good on the snow
Is it too much to ask for a quiet all season tire with good wet/dry and snow traction without loosing on the sporty feel ?

SILENTM - Thanks for the info.

Gr8gulred - Have you decided on which ones to go with ?
I was in the exact same boat. After tons of research, I'm getting the Pirelli P7 All-Season Plus installed this weekend.
Old 10-28-16, 01:50 PM
Hasman69
Driver

So went to Discount Tire today and got 4 new Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 to replace my run flat Dunlop 5000.
Just drove back home and I already hate them. The ride is too soft and mushy.
I believe Discount Tire does exchanges, or atlease I am hoping they will.
Seriously thinking of going back to the Dunlop run flats, but really dont want to spend $1400 on 4 tires.

MrBk - Let me know once you get the Pirelli P7 installed. First impressions on the ride.
Old 10-28-16, 02:17 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 772 Likes on 665 Posts

DWS are garbage! I hated mine! I bought a set of Michelins and very pleased with them.
Old 10-28-16, 02:20 PM
Hasman69
Driver

Originally Posted by ibidu1
DWS are garbage! I hated mine! I bought a set of Michelins and very pleased with them.
ibidu1 - Which Michelins to be exact ? And if you dont mind, for perspective, what did you have on before and can you tell me a little about the ride quality on the Michelins.
The GS has a sporty ride and I dont want to loose that. I was hoping for something a little more quiet and a little less stiff but not be mushy.
Old 10-29-16, 01:17 AM
Lead Lap

Received 780 Likes on 529 Posts

pilot sport 4.

Quick Reply: Tire recommendations for ride/treadlife ?