GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Won't turnover in cold ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-16, 03:54 PM
Mrridinlow
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ibidu1
Thats a new one to me! Did he tell you when that code popped up? I do see on ebay they sell ignition switches so it maybe a possibility it goes bad

Try taking apart your remote fob and the electrical with electrical cleaner or alcohol
no didn't ask how long. but the car is there, since he said it's either or, they will Trouble shoot by tomorrow and let me know which it is before changing. He said since it wasn't starting and it started when I put the fob against button, having that code makes sense. Piece of me don't think it that but need my car for winter. One mech thinks it's the coolant temp sensor also. Idk bro.
Old 12-12-16, 03:55 PM
Mrridinlow
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 02SDGS
By keypad do you mean the battery in your actual keyfob? Could be a place to start
well dealer thinks it could be that , but either switch or Certification ecu
Old 12-16-16, 10:53 AM
Mrridinlow
Driver School Candidate

UPDATE 12/16: need your opinion fellas. Dealer just called me , they cant figure it out. They said CODE is B2784 . They need to pull the dash to check the immobilizer. That is 12hrs at $147ea hour. Plus parts if it is the immobilizer and they need recommend to change Certification ECU same time , Imobil cost 160.. cert ECU cost 980.. plus 300 of previous diagnostic. so 300+1764+160+890 = #3114 and they not 100% sure that is the problem.. Should I get a second opinion or that sounds about right?

He also said car "possibly " been in an accident , but purchased from same dealer and that rep said never been in an accident, car fax they gave me is clean . Should I contact a lawyer? had car for 8months now
Old 12-16-16, 11:57 AM
Gs3500
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Get second opinion and make sure they find the root cause FiRSt before replacing any parts!

Originally Posted by Mrridinlow
UPDATE 12/16: need your opinion fellas. Dealer just called me , they cant figure it out. They said CODE is B2784 . They need to pull the dash to check the immobilizer. That is 12hrs at $147ea hour. Plus parts if it is the immobilizer and they need recommend to change Certification ECU same time , Imobil cost 160.. cert ECU cost 980.. plus 300 of previous diagnostic. so 300+1764+160+890 = #3114 and they not 100% sure that is the problem.. Should I get a second opinion or that sounds about right?

He also said car "possibly " been in an accident , but purchased from same dealer and that rep said never been in an accident, car fax they gave me is clean . Should I contact a lawyer? had car for 8months now
Old 12-16-16, 12:13 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 779 Likes on 672 Posts

Your dealer sounds like a bunch of scam artist I would stay away. See if the problem goes away on its on or, why not unplug the immobilizer yourself and reconnect it, same thing with the ignition switch.
Old 12-16-16, 12:44 PM
Mrridinlow
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ibidu1
Your dealer sounds like a bunch of scam artist I would stay away. See if the problem goes away on its on or, why not unplug the immobilizer yourself and reconnect it, same thing with the ignition switch.
how? They said immobilizer is behind dash.
Old 12-16-16, 03:07 PM
Sodium
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Here is some info on the code from a Toyota manual: https://techinfo.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/rm/RM1290U/xhtml/RM000000QYJ03VX.html?sisuffix=ff&locale=en&siid=1481915615440

It's from a Prius manual, but I think the same code should mean the same thing in two Toyota products.

Definitely get a second opinion, technicians can make some very silly (and expensive) misdiagnoses. But don't tell the second shop what the first dealer's diagnosis was, that may bias the results. Haha that reminds me of a few years ago when one of the instruments at my lab stopped working and the manufacturer sent out a tech – his diagnosis was that a laser failed, and the repair estimate was $50,000 + labor. Turned out that the laser was fine (still had 20,000+ hours on the clock), and it wasn't working because it wasn't plugged in properly.

And as for "possibly" been in an accident, what data/evidence did he provide to support that assertion?

EDIT: Also, by "possibly been in an accident", he may have been implying that it happened after you purchased the car

Last edited by Sodium; 12-16-16 at 03:23 PM.
Old 12-16-16, 06:54 PM
Mrridinlow
Driver School Candidate

Ok. That link didn't work. So sat down and talked with mechanic and manager they still don't know what problem is so they want to only charge me 8hrs to drop dash instead of 12. Then go from there if it's immobilizer or ecu. Also the door don't unlock like it supposed to when I'm near the door. So he will check that on Monday. He says he sure it's not keyfob or push button but nevery checked. He also say he don't think reflash or reprogramming fob or ecu will fix. They need to swap out but still not sure that's the issue. So Imma call cooperate Monday
Old 12-16-16, 07:16 PM
Sodium
Lead Lap

Ok. That link didn't work. So sat down and talked with mechanic and manager they still don't know what problem is so they want to only charge me 8hrs to drop dash instead of 12. Then go from there if it's immobilizer or ecu. Also the door don't unlock like it supposed to when I'm near the door. So he will check that on Monday. He says he sure it's not keyfob or push button but nevery checked. He also say he don't think reflash or reprogramming fob or ecu will fix. They need to swap out but still not sure that's the issue. So Imma call cooperate Monday
Sorry, here's the document in PDF form
Old 12-16-16, 07:41 PM
Mrridinlow
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sodium
Sorry, here's the document in PDF form
thabks so that seems to be leading towards the Ecu if the switch is good.
Old 12-16-16, 07:43 PM
Mrridinlow
Driver School Candidate

Here is some info on the code from a Toyota manual: https://techinfo.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/rm/RM1290U/xhtml/RM000000QYJ03VX.html?sisuffix=ff&locale=en&siid=1481915615440

It's from a Prius manual, but I think the same code should mean the same thing in two Toyota products.

Definitely get a second opinion, technicians can make some very silly (and expensive) misdiagnoses. But don't tell the second shop what the first dealer's diagnosis was, that may bias the results. Haha that reminds me of a few years ago when one of the instruments at my lab stopped working and the manufacturer sent out a tech – his diagnosis was that a laser failed, and the repair estimate was $50,000 + labor. Turned out that the laser was fine (still had 20,000+ hours on the clock), and it wasn't working because it wasn't plugged in properly.

And as for "possibly" been in an accident, what data/evidence did he provide to support that assertion?

EDIT: Also, by "possibly been in an accident", he may have been implying that it happened after you purchased the car
Yea I hear ya. I work in aviation. Our mechanic also throwing parts at it and still be having the problem. Then says the parts I got the was bad from stock
Old 12-16-16, 08:27 PM
Sodium
Lead Lap

Yea I hear ya. I work in aviation. Our mechanic also throwing parts at it and still be having the problem. Then says the parts I got the was bad from stock
Cool! Do you fly the planes, or are you more on the operations/logistics side of things?

And Jesus I'll never understand the mind that believes throwing parts at a problem is the best solution. I imagine it comes from a place of laziness, but it must take more effort to repair the same plane two or three times for the same problem than to do the diagnosis and get it right the first time. So really wouldn't the "lazy" solution be to just do the full diagnosis?
Old 12-16-16, 08:36 PM
Mrridinlow
Driver School Candidate

Cool! Do you fly the planes, or are you more on the operations/logistics side of things?

And Jesus I'll never understand the mind that believes throwing parts at a problem is the best solution. I imagine it comes from a place of laziness, but it must take more effort to repair the same plane two or three times for the same problem than to do the diagnosis and get it right the first time. So really wouldn't the "lazy" solution be to just do the full diagnosis?
Yea. I prefer them fixing the problem instead of trial and error. No I'm the repair administration. We fix the parts installed or remove from the aircraft. But I fix my own cars for years. Just wanted the " professionals " to fix it. But they can't.

dont we have any New York techs that work at lexus on this site? Lol
Old 12-16-16, 08:56 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

I'd try to start using push button on the dash. That is NOT even a cold temp. My RX hybrid parked outside car port starts every morning at minus 20C w/o
any problem. Just I push gas pedal two times and push the button. That's it.
Old 12-16-16, 09:37 PM
Sodium
Lead Lap

Yea. I prefer them fixing the problem instead of trial and error. No I'm the repair administration. We fix the parts installed or remove from the aircraft. But I fix my own cars for years. Just wanted the " professionals " to fix it. But they can't.

dont we have any New York techs that work at lexus on this site? Lol
Ah I see. Well good thing you have competent mechanics who never cut corners and make your job easy!

And let's not be unfair to the dealership. I have no doubt that they'll be able to repair your car, they just don't want you expecting that it'll be fixed on the first try

Quick Reply: Won't turnover in cold ?