GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS450h Timing Chain vs Milage question

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-17, 04:58 AM
HaerdenC
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default GS450h Timing Chain vs Milage question

Dear enthusiasts.

I'm going to replace my water pump and tensioner + belt tomorrow as it broke down yesterday (didn't drive with it no engine lights no overheating) so started to get some info on replacing the water pump. Now I also did a quick search on the timing belts. I read some info that they are lifetime chains however some other people seem to replace them. I'm not sure if the 2GR-FSE is an interference of non-interference engine. A search online gave different results. Anybody info on this?

Why am I asking this? Well the car made quit a few days some noise and rattles. I assumed it was due to the water pump tensioner or pump itself however I want to know what I'm getting myself into if the rattles are not gone after replacing the water pump etc.

- As far as I understand if the chain is stretched you should get some error codes. I didn't get any?
- Is this a must be done by the dealer or can it be done without removing the engine from the car in my workplace?
- any body ever done one by themselves

my car has 190.000 km / 120.000 miles full service history
Old 03-06-17, 08:12 AM
SILENTM
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Yes these motor are all interference, that's how they achieve the high compression.
If your chain is stretched you will get a camshaft to crankshaft correlation code for which ever bank is stretched
The chains typically don't stretch at this low miles, and is quite involved in replacing but can be done without the dealer, some times the composite timing guides can break off and rattle around.
There are 3 timing chain tensioner the only one you can replace easily is behind the ignition control module, behind a access cover, as these get weak you can get a rattle noise also.
Also get rattle noise with wrong oil viscosity/ low oil or weather being too cold. ( intake varible cam gear ) until pressure builds up
The following users liked this post:
vap3 (11-06-21)
Old 03-07-17, 01:58 AM
HaerdenC
Rookie

Originally Posted by SILENTM
Yes these motor are all interference, that's how they achieve the high compression.
If your chain is stretched you will get a camshaft to crankshaft correlation code for which ever bank is stretched
The chains typically don't stretch at this low miles, and is quite involved in replacing but can be done without the dealer, some times the composite timing guides can break off and rattle around.
There are 3 timing chain tensioner the only one you can replace easily is behind the ignition control module, behind a access cover, as these get weak you can get a rattle noise also.
Also get rattle noise with wrong oil viscosity/ low oil or weather being too cold. ( intake varible cam gear ) until pressure builds up
Hey thanks for the clear reply.

I use Champion oil 5W30 C3 Full synthetic oil as noted in the manual of the car however I had a chat with my dealer who has the same and has it running on 0w20. I check my oil every week never has been lower then half way between min and max and consumes nearly no oil at all. Maintenance every 15.000 km (9300 miles) and I always change the oil filter as well in order to avoid all risks. The oil doesn't look very bad at service but better be sure then sorrow. As it is a second hand car I have of course no idea what happened to it before however it has full service history and went to the Lexus dealership every 15.000 km 9300 miles PILE! so the previous owner was maintaining it as should. Car was bought at the same dealership and had only one owner before me.

We will replace the water pump this evening and we'll see what it does. I have no error codes checked this morning all of that is fully ok so even if the chain starts to stretch it is not enough to trigger the fault message. Knowing that it is an interference engine scares me kind of to do the chain switch as a regular maintenance job so better leave it on and see if the water pump + tensioners where making the rattles. From what I hearth of my dealer 99% chance it is
Old 03-07-17, 03:58 PM
HaerdenC
Rookie

It was actually not the chain but the water pump ... happy me.
The following users liked this post:
vap3 (11-06-21)
Old 11-06-21, 05:57 PM
vap3
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah I can't imagine the chains failing you know unless its a common problem with this gen gs450h? I mean they are meant to be lifetime as long as you change the oil as fresh oil keeps it going for the longest life.
Its why I'm looking at a used 07 gs450h with 161,000km on the clock but the ad says "New timing chain" ... kinda wish it said "new hybrid battery by the dealer" instead lol