GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Is it worth buying 07-08 GS350 AWD with 90K miles

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-17, 11:22 AM
ethanhunt4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it worth buying 07-08 GS350 AWD with 90K miles

Hello all,

I am actively searching for a 07-08 GS350 AWD. But I was just wondering, it is really worth buying such a old Lexus. Any input from Lexus enthusiasts would be appreciated.
Old 03-29-17, 11:38 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

first off welcome. 10 years is nothing for a Lexus if regularly maintained. I'm sure you can find one with less miles than that. gl on your search
Old 03-29-17, 12:10 PM
Mr4btTahoe
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Sure.. depending on price.

We bought my wife's '06 awd with new rubber and brakes for 10k with 120k miles on it. At the time, we didn't know the '06 was a problem child but oh well.. still runs and drives great.. does great in the winter months.

Just keep in mind that wear items will more then likely need to be looked over... belts, hoses, brakes, wheel bearings/hub assemblies.. trans serviced.. little things add up but if the price is right.. absolutely. The '07+ has a better engine then the '06 as far as issues go... Should have no problems getting another 100k+ out of it.
Old 03-31-17, 11:19 PM
jegyed
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an 08 with only 80K on it and still like the car, and I have owned plenty. The AWD is great and Lexus is slow to change body styles so it does not look dated to me.

A few things:
If I were you I would make sure the trans is shifting smoothly and if it is go and get the Fluid changed via a fluid vacuum or drop the pan and you should have no worries. With the AWD the shift points are set with a laptop at a certain temp- so not a DIY item and the fluid is expensive. Some here do a drain and fill, but you have to be carefull to match what comes out with how much you have to pump back in. There is no dipstick. A local Lexus / Toyota shop quoted me around $350 for this. Toyota likes to think their sealed transmissions will never need service, so it is not in the manual to service them, same for the the front and rear differential fluid, should be changed if not already done. Pay attention to Dash Rattles. Mine developed one recently, I isolated it to the instrument panel, the solution appears to be a piece of felt according to this site. Lastly, the exhaust system has some pieces on it to reduce noise, and they can catch water causing rust. I had to have mine repaired ( my guy use an Audi sleeve ). About $ 200, the dealer will want to replace the entire exhaust. Again documented on this site.
Rear Brake calipers can freeze, one of mine did. So now you have my 2 cents.

You will be getting a lot of car for the money so invest a little in it and you can keep it as long as you want.

I also have an 01 GS430 that I gave to one of my kids. That car finally needed some work this year. Motor mounts, a couple of suspension parts ( rubber bushing rotted), and a power steering pump. So outside of regular maintenance that one took 16 years and 165,000 miles before needing some dollars.

Last edited by jegyed; 03-31-17 at 11:22 PM. Reason: left out a word
Old 04-01-17, 06:31 AM
Mr4btTahoe
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

What's interesting about the transmission fluid service interval is the US market is the only one that doesn't list a mileage. Europe, Japan, etc... all say something like 30k or 50k miles... using the same fluid.

You can change fluid yourself as there is a built in maintenance feature that tells you when the trans fluid is at the correct temp to check fluid level. It's kinda tricky to access but it's there. All you need is fluid and a bottle pump ($10 at any parts store).
Old 04-03-17, 07:43 AM
Novembur
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The answer is yes

i own an 07 350 and yes it's well worth it, considering it still picks up fast stock and a very smooth ride, just keep up the maintenance regularly and watch out for loose gas caps
Old 04-03-17, 10:12 AM
mitsuman
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I own an '07 RWD with 123k on the odometer, and have no regrets. I just bought it about a month ago.
Old 04-03-17, 02:01 PM
wsabichris
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

-08 GS RWD
-88K Miles
-Purchased Mid-Marach 2017 from Newport Lexus

LOVE IT!

IG: 3gs.wsabi
Old 04-03-17, 08:15 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Mine is an 07 RWD. I say its an awesome car for the price.
In my area, the GS350's were priced a tad lower than the ES350's because the ES have higher demand. That makes them a bargain if your a Lexus enthusiast and know these cars well.

I strongly recommend AWD if you drive through wintery conditions. My RWD is very dangerous in slippery conditions up here in Canada.
Old 04-04-17, 06:33 PM
jegyed
Driver

Default Different Service Different Countries?

Originally Posted by Mr4btTahoe
What's interesting about the transmission fluid service interval is the US market is the only one that doesn't list a mileage. Europe, Japan, etc... all say something like 30k or 50k miles... using the same fluid.

You can change fluid yourself as there is a built in maintenance feature that tells you when the trans fluid is at the correct temp to check fluid level. It's kinda tricky to access but it's there. All you need is fluid and a bottle pump ($10 at any parts store).
That is very interesting, any idea where I can find that data. I totally believe it. When it comes to towing in the USA they say no but other countries all have specs on this and for some models you can get a tow package. I think in the US they want us to buy SUV's.
Old 04-05-17, 07:09 AM
Skylar978
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very hard to beat a 3rd gen GS in AWD trim. Theres is not much else that competes these days for under 20k if you are looking for luxury, safety, reliability, and a plethora of information to help shall you run into any problems. Now, if you want performance, thats a whole other group of cars that would be available at your disposable cash. The 3GS is no slouch and definitely holds its own still against modern cars, or high performance cars, but it is no match to German performance, or even some Japanese variants which will most likely be in RWD trim most of the time.
Old 04-05-17, 07:53 AM
jegyed
Driver

Originally Posted by Skylar978
Very hard to beat a 3rd gen GS in AWD trim. Theres is not much else that competes these days for under 20k if you are looking for luxury, safety, reliability, and a plethora of information to help shall you run into any problems. Now, if you want performance, thats a whole other group of cars that would be available at your disposable cash. The 3GS is no slouch and definitely holds its own still against modern cars, or high performance cars, but it is no match to German performance, or even some Japanese variants which will most likely be in RWD trim most of the time.
The lexus is also no match for German repair frequency or bills
Old 04-05-17, 12:29 PM
93SCMax
Intermediate

Received 102 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by jegyed
The lexus is also no match for German repair frequency or bills
+1 brother
Old 04-07-17, 06:24 AM
wickedtaco
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Request full service history. These r awesome cars. GL..
Old 04-07-17, 07:10 AM
Zishan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it worth it? That’s a rather subjective question. I recently sold my E55 and X5, downsized to a used 2008 GS350 rwd. I love this car. I love the seating position. I love the drive(obviously it could handle better). Obviously it’s not as fast. But at 102k miles, and for 12 grand, it’s well worth it, to me. I know Lexus’s reliability. I know german reliability. German cars are crap, in terms of long term reliability that is.

Ideally to me, the GS would be perfect if it had the E55’s power, and the X5’s handling/driving feel. That would be a winner! Oh, and it wouldn’t hurt if it fit within my budget… Maybe the GS-F would fit my criteria, one day when the prices come down(the IS-F, great car, maybe too small for me).

Quick Reply: Is it worth buying 07-08 GS350 AWD with 90K miles