GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

07 GS350 AWD Head Gasket Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-17, 02:23 PM
tekkie
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 GS350 AWD Head Gasket Help

Looking for some help/suggestions with head gasket replacement. I went in for my 224 KM (140K mile) oil change and my independent mechanic showed me there is some coolant leak at the engine. I have not noticed any oil in the coolant reservoir or white smoke yet. If my mechanic did not show me the leak, I would not have known anything is wrong with the car as it drives normally. When I checked the coolant reservoir, it was near the low line when the engine is cold.

I have brought it into a Lexus dealer for double checking and they confirmed that the head gasket needs replacing.

Here is what I have in terms of quotes for a complete head gaskets + others gaskets and seals + water pump (I have not replaced the original water pump yet) + thermostat.
Dealer: ~$6K. Addtional cost if they need to send it out for re-surfacing.
Independent garage: $3.5K - $5K (not sure if they will use Lexus parts or not)

Q:
1. Are the quoted price sound about right? Lexus said they have to drop the engine in order to do the work.
2. Is it safe to use aftermarket gasket kit such as the one from Mizumo Auto http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fit-06-11-Le...V-b4Z&vxp=mtr?
3. Should I consider swapping a used engine? I've seen used engines selling between $1.8K-$3K depending on the mileage.

This car has been good to me. This is the only first major issue I am experiencing. Any help is greatly appreciated.

This pic is taken from the passenger side looking up at the engine. Right side of the pic is towards the front of the car.
07 GS350 AWD Head Gasket Help-img_20170325_135831.jpg
Old 03-29-17, 03:26 PM
bayer
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That,s an external leak,meaning it,s leaking out of engine and not into engine.You could try a coolant sealant ,where you pour contents into radiator and leak will stop shortly afterward.I,ve had good luck with a liquid copper sealant( I can,t remember name) on a Dodge diesel leaking badly at transmission heat exchanger and still holding. well.Read and follow instructions of product and you should be good.
Old 03-29-17, 04:41 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 770 Likes on 664 Posts

Snap some better pictures that looks like its coming from the radiator?
Old 03-30-17, 03:04 PM
tekkie
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bayer
That,s an external leak,meaning it,s leaking out of engine and not into engine.You could try a coolant sealant ,where you pour contents into radiator and leak will stop shortly afterward.I,ve had good luck with a liquid copper sealant( I can,t remember name) on a Dodge diesel leaking badly at transmission heat exchanger and still holding. well.Read and follow instructions of product and you should be good.
Thanks for the imput. Is this safe? I have never put any additives or fluids that are outside of the usual such as oil and gas.
Old 03-30-17, 03:06 PM
tekkie
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ibidu1
Snap some better pictures that looks like its coming from the radiator?
It was hard trying to crawl under the car. The leak is definitely from the engine and it's been confirmed from my independent garage and Lexus dealer.
Old 03-30-17, 03:09 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

I wouldn't recommend putting any type of gasket sealer as these products damage other parts, and clog up many coolant tracts in the engine.

If the head gasket is bad, I would take it to an independant shop that specializes in toyota/lexus. They should remove the heads, and have a machine shop check and resurface the heads. I would install an oem headgasket, and buy other gaskets like valve cover and other gaskets.

You can also for peace of mind replace the head bolts, most likely from the heat you probably stretched the old ones.
Old 03-30-17, 08:21 PM
Mr4btTahoe
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd take a good hard look for that leak yourself before biting the bullet....

Head gasket failure at 140k miles seems unlikely (not impossible though). Could just be the water pump leaking.

Take 15 minutes and pop the serpentine belt off yourself and see if the water pump pulley has any play in it. If it does... replace it before going any further. Its a $120 part and takes ~an hour or so to change with basic hand tools. It's also a common leak point/failure item around that mileage if it hasn't been replaced in the past.

Check the dipstick and make sure the oil doesn't look like chocolate milk. If the oil is clean... then you can keep an eye on coolant level and take your time figuring out exactly what is what.
Old 03-30-17, 09:06 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I was going to say, I've never seen a head gasket go on this engine in any application, especially at a relatively low mileage, but if confirmed by 2 separate mechanics, why spend money asking for a third. I will say this, replace your radiator caps, they basically implode and fall into the cooling system. Wonder if something so minor could have played a role in the failure.
Old 04-10-17, 07:15 AM
brker1
Driver School Candidate

You can find an engine for 2k and 2k to put install

A head gasket is not that hard to do, I just happen to have a spare engine in my garage to see what has to be done. also there's a you tube of everything you need to know about the valve timing
Old 05-07-22, 10:19 AM
DCardshark
5th Gear

Can you do the head gasket without pulling the engine?
Old 05-07-22, 12:02 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DCardshark
I dont see why not, but maybe easier to just swap engines with a used motor, maybe you can find an engine for 1,000-1,500
Old 05-10-22, 11:55 AM
CruzinGS
Pit Crew

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by DCardshark
From what I have read, the timing cover (which you likely must remove in order to remove the heads) can't be removed without removing the upper oil pan. The upper oil pan can't be removed with the driveshaft and front crossmember in place. Pulling the crossmember removes an integral engine and front suspension support, so anything involving the timing cover requires an engine out service, especially in the AWD. Some folks have apparently been able to support the engine and get enough clearance to lower the crossmember and drop the upper oil pan by an inch or so, enough to remove the timing cover, but I've only heard of that with RWD cars.
Old 05-10-22, 06:09 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CruzinGS
From what I have read, the timing cover (which you likely must remove in order to remove the heads) can't be removed without removing the upper oil pan. The upper oil pan can't be removed with the driveshaft and front crossmember in place. Pulling the crossmember removes an integral engine and front suspension support, so anything involving the timing cover requires an engine out service, especially in the AWD. Some folks have apparently been able to support the engine and get enough clearance to lower the crossmember and drop the upper oil pan by an inch or so, enough to remove the timing cover, but I've only heard of that with RWD cars.

These cars a not too difficult to remove the crossmember/subframe as a whole with the suspension. Once the whole assembly gets dropped everything will be easily accessible, an impact or air tools will speed the process.

With the high cost of machine work and delay, it maybe less hassle to swap a good used motor. You never know the heads could have a crack in them.

I found this online