GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Can't Remove Rear Rotor.... Parking Brake Stuck

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-17, 02:45 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by lexuseng
I was able to rotate my rear wheel with only 1 wheel off the ground by putting the car in neutral. Of course that means you have to turn ignition on without stepping on the brake. I would then turn the car off so the dash lights would go off while I worked on the wheel but be warned, even with the dash lights off, somehow having the car in neutral will tax your battery and if you leave it that way for an hour, you won't be able to start your car (another lesson learned the hard way). It's like leaving your lights on but not sure why it's using so much energy from the battery. Maybe someone can explain that.
Ok fellas I'm back from a double. I got off 9:45 this morning and got home about 11, put on my dickies and was determined to get this job finished. AS both lexuseng and Sodium have mentioned, I too left the car in neutral while fooling with the rear wheels and ended up having to give myself a boost. I had to jack up both rear wheels to get my tires to rotate so I could turn the little and release the parking brake. I got the rotor off but but knocked the 2 springs off that hold the parking brake on the top and bottom. I tried to compress them so I could put the locking plate back on but it was not cooperating. I know they sell a tool in autozone just for that purpose but the name escapes me right now.

By the way I did change out the rotors and pads on the front before I moved to the rear so at least I would get something done if the rear gave me problems, which it most certainly did. Since I knew the passenger rear was a dead issue for now I moved over to the drivers side. I did not have to fool with the parking brake and popped it off with one 8mm x 1.25 bolt. Afterwards I proceeded to swap out the bad caliper. Getting those bracket bolts back on gave me some fits, plus there was not enough room to torque the bolts with my 3/8 inch torque wrench. It's tight in there!!!! I just tightened bracket and brake line bolt alot without over doing it. I'll have to figure out how to address that later. I'm going to flush all the brake fluid when I'm done anyway so I can deal with it at that time.

Once I got the new caliper on I could not get the outside pad in the caliper. I know this has got to be user error. My brain is just tired I've been working crazy odd hours lately and I still have to be back to work at midnight. I need to get this car back on the road since the wife is driving my 430 and I just noticed some scratches on my back bumper. Usually I would have been real pissed off but she kept telling me her tires were making noise and I kept brushing her off. I never would have though she needed front brakes on her car since I just changed them last June. In my 400 the pads last for 2-3 years and I'm AGGRESIVE on the road but I don't use my brakes to slow down unless I'm in really tight traffic. Im hoping these Centric pads and rotors last a while.
Old 05-01-17, 05:05 AM
L's TLS
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

I just did all of the calipers, rotors and pads on my GS, definitely gave me issues. But for the outside pad, loosen the top bolt on the caliper and it will slide to allow enough room for the outer pad.
Old 05-01-17, 09:25 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by L's TLS
I just did all of the calipers, rotors and pads on my GS, definitely gave me issues. But for the outside pad, loosen the top bolt on the caliper and it will slide to allow enough room for the outer pad.
Thanks for the assist. I just got in from work so I'm changing and going outside to get the pads I on the drive rear then put the guild down springs back on the passenger side parking brake. Hopefully I can get this done in under 2 hours. I can bed the brakes when I'm off I Thursday. I picked up the 1 man brake bleeder that the member if in the 200k thread.
Old 05-01-17, 10:13 AM
L's TLS
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Yea I got the same bleeder. I was pumping and pumping and pumping to get the PSI up. Turned out the gauge was broken on mine and too much pressure caused the reservoir to overflow. But after clean up, it got the job done (just guessed the psi on the bleeder). Good luck with the spring, hope it goes smoothly.
Old 05-01-17, 01:21 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Got the spring back in and those drum brake tools were no help. I had to wedge a flat head screwdriver in back of the pin to hold it in place so I could press the spring and lock plate back onto it. I had to bend the plate so it would stay on the spring while I squeezed it. I still could not get the new caliper or the one on the passenger side even after loosening the locking pin on the bracket. As I Re-read your post it seems that you might have been saying to loosen the top bolt. Is that correct? Everything is back together except the rear pads.
Old 05-04-17, 04:54 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

I finally got got this finished up today by removing the top slide bolt and working the slide pin in and out. Then I pulled it out away from the car and was able to slide the outer pad in there. The only thing was it would not fit with the OEM brackets on so I removed them so now it only has the bracket that came with the pads. That was the new caliper, I was not so lucky with the old passenger side caliper which was also seized. I learned from the one I replaced and took my time with this one. I sprayed lots of PB Blaster which helped some but I ended up using propane on the slide bolt housing which another member advocated while banging the pin all the way in and then out. This allowed me to then twist the bracket up and down and finally break it loose. After wire brushing the rust off I hosed everything down with brake cleaner and lubed the boots I put everything back together and went for a test drive. the brakes worked really well but I plan on flushing and bleeding them in a couple of days. I figured I could give my wife back her car and start driving my new/used 430 but it was not meant to be. This is what she brought me home today.
Attached Thumbnails Can't Remove Rear Rotor.... Parking Brake Stuck-ls-430-mirror.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by sha4000:
ifinau (05-22-24), prech (01-09-20)