GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

HELP!! GS430 VSC/AFS? After lowering

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-17, 03:50 AM
Nzgs430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! GS430 VSC/AFS? After lowering

I recently had some tenabe df210 springs installed, and afterwards a note came up on dash "check active suspension system" (it's a Japanese import so everything is in Japanese - that's what google translate told me it was) so I assume that's the same as check vsc for the American models.... anyway I unplugged the battery in the boot for the stability control and left that for 12 hours plugged it back in and the code went away!!! But then weeks later I jacked the car up in the left rear (yup where the levelling sensor is) and when I turned it back on the code came back! Annnnnd then I disconnected the battery in the boot again however this time the code stayed :/ then next time I turned the car on it disappeared lol and guess what it's back on again the next time I drove it sooooo does anyone know what I should do? I don't know if I need to adjust the levelling sensor because before I didn't and the code was gone for like 3 weeks, after reading up about this also everyone seems to be saying their AFS light is on that's why people move the levelling sensor but my afs light has never once came on and also my headlights seem to be in the right position. Only thing I can say I've noticed (not sure if it did this prior to lowering the car) when I turn the car on or headlights on they jump up and down for half a second like they're auto levelling or something, is that normal?

Thanks for reading my novel
Hard copies available at all leading book stores
😀
Old 05-01-17, 07:46 PM
Sodium
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Sounds like your headlights are fine.

Does your center console looks like this:

If it has the SPORT/NORM switch, your car has AVS (Active Variable Suspension – basically, the shocks have two firmness settings). AVS uses a little electric motor at the top of each shock to adjust the damping firmness. They have to be taken off to replace the springs, so maybe one of the motors got damaged or wasn't reinstalled properly. I'd check that first

Also, AVS and VSC are entirely separate systems

Last edited by Sodium; 05-01-17 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Misread question the first time around
Old 05-01-17, 08:08 PM
Nzgs430
Driver School Candidate

Yeah it does have sport/norm but the thing is it was fine until I jacked it up the other day and also I know someone with the exact same car with the exact same springs and he's had absolutely no problems with it at all
Old 05-01-17, 08:10 PM
Nzgs430
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sodium
Sounds like your headlights are fine.

Does your center console looks like this:

If it has the SPORT/NORM switch, your car has AVS (Active Variable Suspension – basically, the shocks have two firmness settings). AVS uses a little electric motor at the top of each shock to adjust the damping firmness. They have to be taken off to replace the springs, so maybe one of the motors got damaged or wasn't reinstalled properly. I'd check that first

Also, AVS and VSC are entirely separate systems

also so there's nothing about avs I'm saying AFS which is adaptive front lighting system... I've googled this extensively and that's to do with the levelling sensors
Old 05-01-17, 08:52 PM
Sodium
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Nzgs430
also so there's nothing about avs I'm saying AFS which is adaptive front lighting system... I've googled this extensively and that's to do with the levelling sensors
Yeah I know the difference between AFS and AVS. The vertical tilting is the auto-leveling system, which is designed to avoid blinding oncoming traffic, and takes input from front and rear level sensors. Most cars with factory HIDs have auto-leveling systems.

AFS is the horizontal swiveling of the headlights – when you turn left, the driver side headlight will swivel 10 or 15 degrees to the left, and on right turns the passenger headlight will swivel 5 or 10 degrees to the right. I believe the swiveling is based on input from the steering angle sensor.

AVS is the active suspension, and from your earlier post my understanding is that the only problem you're having is the "check active suspension" message. Is that correct?
Old 05-02-17, 12:40 AM
Nzgs430
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sodium
Yeah I know the difference between AFS and AVS. The vertical tilting is the auto-leveling system, which is designed to avoid blinding oncoming traffic, and takes input from front and rear level sensors. Most cars with factory HIDs have auto-leveling systems.

AFS is the horizontal swiveling of the headlights – when you turn left, the driver side headlight will swivel 10 or 15 degrees to the left, and on right turns the passenger headlight will swivel 5 or 10 degrees to the right. I believe the swiveling is based on input from the steering angle sensor.

AVS is the active suspension, and from your earlier post my understanding is that the only problem you're having is the "check active suspension" message. Is that correct?

hmmm ok I've been looking at things like this

https://www.clublexus.com/how-tos/a/lexus-how-to-turn-off-afs-light-after-installing-lowering-springs-362554

(that says AFS is to do with the vertical level of the lights) which changes due to the lowering of the car, several other people have told me this too?.... and yeah basically the only issue with my car is that there is a red triangle light with exclamation mark and a note saying "check active suspension system" I'm pretty sure it is either the levelling sensor or the battery in the trunk (not all models have this, in mine there's no spare wheel - instead there's all sorts of electronics in its place) like I said in the original post this light went away for 3 weeks and only came back when I jacked up the left rear wheel which happens to be the one with the sensor on it. It's just super strange that it went away for so long came back for a day then left for a day and now it's back
Old 05-04-17, 02:02 AM
Sodium
Lead Lap

Okay I just checked the owner's manual and unfortunately it doesn't explicitly say whether AFS includes both vertical and horizontal adjustments, or if it's just the horizontal – it has separate sections for AFS and for auto leveling, but then says that a malfunction in the auto leveling system will cause the "AFS OFF" light to flash. I still read this as the two systems being separate, but let's not get caught up over the AFS since it doesn't really address your original question!

Given that it's a Japanese import and that google isn't necessarily the most reliable translation tool, the only definitive way to diagnose the problem is to get the codes pulled and then post them up here so we have solid, unequivocal data to work with

Also, here are the pages from the manual if you're interested: