GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2008-2010 GS460... long term owners?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-17, 02:53 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts
Default 2008-2010 GS460... long term owners?

For some reason, this GS unicorn intrigues me. Used prices on these seem reasonable and they seem like killer cars.

Any major pitfalls with these?

Do these cars do bluetooth audio streaming? or streaming only with ML, or AUX only? not a dealbreaker but I could live with that. Or use an aftermarket BT adapter.

Also, how much of a pain in the *** is it to get a Loan via a dealer far away from you? Never done that before. I live in MA, and if I got one of these cars I'd have to do some
traveling to buy one, then fix the registration when I got it back to MA (or pay to have it transported up here etc). RWD only lexus seem to be rarer than hens teeth because too many people
afraid of the snow.

-Mike
Old 06-01-17, 05:06 PM
Fausty
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've had mine for a year and have not had any complaints about reliability. The only things I would say worried me was the brake actuator going bad and how expensive the avs shocks are to replace. Luckily I caught the brake actuator within the 3 month warranty I got from the dealer and they covered a new one from Lexus which would have cost me a couple grand. The shocks you have the option of using non avs shocks from the 350.

Overall this car just needs regular maintenance . So far with 100k miles I have done regular oil changes, transmission fluid drain and fill, rear differential fluid change/ rotors and pads. On my list still are spark plugs and water pump whenever it shows signs of leaking and let her eat another 100k miles.

As for Bluetooth The 08 I have you can take calls with it but no streaming music. It has an aux port in the center console. I believe the later models had Bluetooth streaming(2010+).

Last edited by Fausty; 06-01-17 at 05:13 PM.
Old 06-01-17, 05:42 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 780 Likes on 673 Posts

The GS460 shares the same engine as the LS460. The LS460 is known for being very stout and super reliable many 07-up have hit 200-300k mile range.

Like Fausty mention abs pumps go bad, theres supposed to be an extended warranty covering it from lexus.
Old 06-01-17, 05:56 PM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm about to hit 177k and i can't believe how smooth it drives still, the only thing I've had to do was the starter went out right at 170k warranty covered that thankfully otherwise would've been expensive at least at the dealership. Also both my rear calipers slide pins froze a common issue with this gen GS and IS, warranty got me new calipers but in all honesty probably could've got the pins out and cleaned them. Although none of my shocks are leaking and seem fine according to my shop I'm probably going to change them all soon as their still all original.
Old 06-01-17, 06:01 PM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Also for lexus I believe all models got Bluetooth audio in 2010, there are 2010 and 2011 gs460s but you'd be very hard pressed to find one. But all years have aux cord and mine at least has an iPod connector in the glove box which syncs it to your stereo.
Old 06-01-17, 07:16 PM
guzzy92fs
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

...and if you want to have bluetooth music while keeping the bluetooth calls you can always have the option to buy the Vaistech SL3B!

Guys that brake actuator and pin issue you are mentioning also affects to the GS350 07? Its the first time I heard about this. What are tbe symptoms like? Anybrevalls or tsb? Just to be alert on my car with 110k on the clock

Last edited by guzzy92fs; 06-01-17 at 07:29 PM.
Old 06-02-17, 05:08 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 780 Likes on 673 Posts

Originally Posted by guzzy92fs
...and if you want to have bluetooth music while keeping the bluetooth calls you can always have the option to buy the Vaistech SL3B!

Guys that brake actuator and pin issue you are mentioning also affects to the GS350 07? Its the first time I heard about this. What are tbe symptoms like? Anybrevalls or tsb? Just to be alert on my car with 110k on the clock
totally different pump on the gs350 that is very reliable vs the ls460/gs460 pumps
The following users liked this post:
guzzy92fs (06-02-17)
Old 06-02-17, 06:13 AM
HaerdenC
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Fausty
I've had mine for a year and have not had any complaints about reliability. The only things I would say worried me was the brake actuator going bad and how expensive the avs shocks are to replace. Luckily I caught the brake actuator within the 3 month warranty I got from the dealer and they covered a new one from Lexus which would have cost me a couple grand. The shocks you have the option of using non avs shocks from the 350.

Overall this car just needs regular maintenance . So far with 100k miles I have done regular oil changes, transmission fluid drain and fill, rear differential fluid change/ rotors and pads. On my list still are spark plugs and water pump whenever it shows signs of leaking and let her eat another 100k miles.

As for Bluetooth The 08 I have you can take calls with it but no streaming music. It has an aux port in the center console. I believe the later models had Bluetooth streaming(2010+).
This is interesting info, I have a 2007 gs450h with the avs shocks ... so these can probably also be replaced with the ones without avs. Does it give error codes?
Old 06-02-17, 10:31 AM
Skylar978
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check all the normal stuff and go for it. Pay for a ppi (pre purchase inspection) and go from there!
Old 06-02-17, 02:21 PM
Fausty
Pole Position

Originally Posted by HaerdenC
This is interesting info, I have a 2007 gs450h with the avs shocks ... so these can probably also be replaced with the ones without avs. Does it give error codes?
According to some of the members here no it won't throw any codes.
Old 06-04-17, 09:21 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

My '08 is still a baby (43k), but so far it's been nothing but great. Picked it up back in the beginning of '14 with just 16k, and so far it's basically been preventative maintenance: new battery, new water pump, coolant, diff fluid drain and fill, trans fluid drain and fill, oil. Love the car, and still love how it looks. As mentioned before, be sure to do a pre-purchase inspection at a Lexus dealership before buying.
Old 06-04-17, 11:16 AM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by drgrant
For some reason, this GS unicorn intrigues me. Used prices on these seem reasonable and they seem like killer cars.

Any major pitfalls with these?
The GS350 is quite a rarity. Around here, used ones retail for slightly less than a similar ES350, although the GS is more powerful and has more features.

My 2007 RWD rides great, especially considering its age and mileage. The only thing I dislike is the transmission performance in stop and go traffic. It gets confused a lot and doesn't know when to downshift or upshift. Occasionally I'll get the slight thump when coming to a stop and its downshifting. Resetting the battery fixes the issue temporarily. Sometimes I'll switch to snow mode in stop and go traffic to dull the throttle response so its not so jerky, but then I'm leaving a huge gap with the car in front of me. My 05 ES330 was much worse though.

RWD only lexus seem to be rarer than hens teeth because too many people
afraid of the snow.
I specifically was looking for the RWD GS350, as its simpler, less mechanical bits to worry about, and its lighter. Haven driven in the snow though this past winter and I'm kinda regretting it....its really dicey especially since I didn't have snow tires. I'll be getting an additional FWD beater car to help me out in winter.
Old 06-12-17, 08:22 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts

Thanks for the feedback guys, this is exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

I sat in one today that came in at a local dealer with under 8000 miles on it... price is steep but very tempted. Car looked like it was kept in a garage. The lights aren't crazed or anything like
that, either. (they're in much better shape than the lights on my 2010 Camry, lol) About the only defect I noticed on the car was that the AC blower motor sounded loud above a 3 or so on the
display, probably negotiate fixing that, etc. We didn't get a chance to drive it far because the dealership was closing for the night, but it rode like a dream. The curb appeal of this thing is crazy, it's just that
nice. Are there map updates for the nav systems in these things? Maybe I could get the dealer to do that, too.

The back seat was a little cramped, no tall people are riding back there, but not a huge deal for me. LOL. Trunk seemed a bit small, too, but was still pretty ample compared to coupes like the RC.

What kind of mileage are you guys getting on long trips? I realize that around town its going to suck, but my typical pattern for this thing would probably be like 80% highway 20% city driving, and when I take road trips it would be be nearly all
highway.

-Mike
Old 06-13-17, 03:21 AM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Thanks for the feedback guys, this is exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

I sat in one today that came in at a local dealer with under 8000 miles on it... price is steep but very tempted. Car looked like it was kept in a garage. The lights aren't crazed or anything like
that, either. (they're in much better shape than the lights on my 2010 Camry, lol) About the only defect
I noticed on the car was that the AC blower motor
sounded loud above a 3 or so on the
display, probably negotiate fixing that, etc. We didn't get a chance to drive it far because the dealership was closing for the night, but it rode like a dream. The curb appeal of this thing is crazy, it's just that
nice. Are there map updates for the nav systems in these things? Maybe I could get the dealer to do that, too.

The back seat was a little cramped, no tall people are riding back there, but not a huge deal for me. LOL. Trunk seemed a bit small, too, but was still pretty ample compared to coupes like the RC.

What kind of mileage are you guys getting on long trips? I realize that around town its going to suck, but my typical pattern for this thing would probably be like 80% highway 20% city driving, and when I take road trips it would be be nearly all
highway.

-Mike
ive gotten as high as 31 mpg on long trips going between 55 and 65 is where it seems to peak I generally do about the same 80 highway and 20 city and generally average 23-24, but I can do 25-26 if I don't drive fast all the time lol
Old 06-13-17, 05:33 AM
Fausty
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lukas99GS
ive gotten as high as 31 mpg on long trips going between 55 and 65 is where it seems to peak I generally do about the same 80 highway and 20 city and generally average 23-24, but I can do 25-26 if I don't drive fast all the time lol
Same here on trips to Orlando i average 29-30mpg

Quick Reply: 2008-2010 GS460... long term owners?