GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

3GS License Plate Lights DIY, anyone know???

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-17, 11:20 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default 3GS License Plate Lights DIY, anyone know???

Hello CL. I been looking around on how to get to these license plate lights on my 06 GS430. I found a DIY thread on how to replace the trunk melting button so I took apart my trunk based on those steps. I got to the trunk button panel where the license plate lights are located. But all I find is the housing but no bulb. And the housing has no clips around it to pry it open. IDK what to do. I disconnected the little wire that was hooked up in the housing and now idk how to connect back in. IDK how to open up this plastic thingy. I don't even think there's a bulb for this. Maybe I took this all apart for no reason. I just need any helpful suggestions. I know one of my plate lights will be out now and that's a mind bugger. But I'm determined to fix it. Anyone did this before on a 3GS??? Please let me know! Thank you and GodBless CL!!
Attached Thumbnails 3GS License Plate Lights DIY, anyone know???-photo281.jpg   3GS License Plate Lights DIY, anyone know???-photo862.jpg   3GS License Plate Lights DIY, anyone know???-photo896.jpg   3GS License Plate Lights DIY, anyone know???-photo661.jpg   3GS License Plate Lights DIY, anyone know???-photo148.jpg  

Old 06-07-17, 12:07 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Now upon putting the trunk back together my trunk won't work at all. The license plate lights won't work either. When I press the button on my key for the trunk I hear the beep but no motor sound of the trunk initializing to open. The trunk Won't shut or open. I pressed the button under the glove box and nothing. I currently disconnected the battery hoping it'll do something. I'm sure I didn't pull any cable in the trunk area hard or anything. And I connected everything back as it was before. Time to start reading religiously until I fix this problem. Is there a certain procedure in disconnecting the wiring harnesses while removing? Did I have to disconnect the battery before I even took apart anything in the trunk electronic wise? Just thoughts. The trunk won't work from the button inside the car, if I press the trunk button, or from the key. I should've never taken that trunk apart. All I was tryna do was put on some white LEDs and I think I caused myself way more problems then I even anticipated. At one point I did turn on the car and turned my lights on mistakenly while my wires were disconnected from the trunk harnesses. Maybe that has something to do with it? Is there any fuses in the fuse box to the trunk motor? I don't think I really messed up anything majorly. The trunk was working opening and shutting from car and key with no problem. Just maybe might of touched something wrong or mis calculated a step. Please anyone please help. I will turn this into a DIY with detailed pics once I figure it out. It seems there's NO threads on license plate light DIY for the 3GS section. Please help. Thank you and GodBless!

Last edited by aneidiaz; 06-07-17 at 03:41 PM.
Old 06-07-17, 04:17 PM
MX73
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

Check to see if the fuse is good.

FYI, the license plate light is not replaceable. They already have LEDs from the factory.
Old 06-07-17, 04:29 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MX73
Check to see if the fuse is good.

FYI, the license plate light is not replaceable. They already have LEDs from the factory.
I figured that smh. Too late now. I pulled one of the tiny cables to one of the lights and now none of them light up. Do you think it's possible a fuse might of been blown in the process of all this?? I'm tryna figure out where the fuse box is for all these lights in the trunk area. Also since I pulled and disconnected that mini cable from the light housing how do I open up that plastic to and try and reconnect that came? There was no way to take that housing apart. I don't want to get pulled over at night for no plate lights smh. Thank you for the suggestion. Ima look for the fuse box now and study all the labels on it. I will also re inspect all my connections.
Attached Thumbnails 3GS License Plate Lights DIY, anyone know???-photo452.jpg   3GS License Plate Lights DIY, anyone know???-photo714.jpg  

Last edited by aneidiaz; 06-07-17 at 04:35 PM.
Old 06-07-17, 06:38 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

OK so I think I had the connection on the big harness not all the way. I did the fuse trick the valet button under the glove box and the battery trick. Something made it work because the trunk opens now with everything. But my license plate lights don't work at all I pulled one of the wires out my mistake and I thought that might of screwed up one light and I still had the other but I don't. None of them work now. And there's no DIY on even replacing those lights. I really need to figure something out asap i need those lights at night. Is there a fuse for plate lights??? The one little wire I pulled out I have no clue how to put it back in. Plus it sounds like there's a loose or broken bulb in there. Anyone have any suggestions how to plug that back up in there?? Thank you CL for all your threads and tips. Helped me fix this 80%. Just need to figure out that license plate light issue so I can fix it asap.
Attached Thumbnails 3GS License Plate Lights DIY, anyone know???-photo602.jpg   3GS License Plate Lights DIY, anyone know???-photo73.jpg   3GS License Plate Lights DIY, anyone know???-photo261.jpg  
Old 06-08-17, 01:36 AM
aznxenon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Safe to assume your license plate light wasn't working before you've done all of this? If that's the case then the LED is probably bad on the assembly, you'll just have to buy another one to replace it. Trying to plug the wire back in wouldn't fix it if the LED is bad
Old 06-08-17, 04:02 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by aznxenon
Safe to assume your license plate light wasn't working before you've done all of this? If that's the case then the LED is probably bad on the assembly, you'll just have to buy another one to replace it. Trying to plug the wire back in wouldn't fix it if the LED is bad
The LED were actually working fine before I took it apart. I was just under the impression it had bulbs so since I been changing everything around the car to white I figured I attempt to do those. But it was a bad idea. It's no way to plug that little wire into that plastic light housing. There's just no way. I will keep looking and see what happens. I also tried to look it up on lexus parts. The part they're showing on the diagram is not what's in my car. It illustrates in the picture as if there's bulbs and I can take them out. When clearly there isn't. IDK what to do. I can't even find an oem one exactly like mine anywhere. It's as if the LED license lamps I got in the back are non existent. I looked up by the exact part number to my car on eBay and the ones I think I got are the ones that pop up for the 2007-2012 LS460s..... I don't understand why they have the wrong looking lamps listed on lexus parts for the 06 GS430. It shows the old school bulb setup and not the current LED setup. IDK if I should buy the LS460 lights.
Attached Thumbnails 3GS License Plate Lights DIY, anyone know???-photo132.jpg   3GS License Plate Lights DIY, anyone know???-photo688.jpg   3GS License Plate Lights DIY, anyone know???-photo357.jpg  

Last edited by aneidiaz; 06-08-17 at 04:22 AM.
Old 06-08-17, 10:56 AM
L's TLS
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Looks like you would need to heat up the plastic cover and pry it off. To make things easy, might as well just buy new housings from the second part diagram.
Old 06-08-17, 02:50 PM
MX73
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

Are there any prongs that you can see inside the housing? The pictures you have taken suggest there is a connector inside but it's hard to tell if it's straight in or if it's off to the side.
Old 06-09-17, 05:17 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MX73
Are there any prongs that you can see inside the housing? The pictures you have taken suggest there is a connector inside but it's hard to tell if it's straight in or if it's off to the side.
No my friend there is no prongs to open up the housing with. Lexus really had they're mind set on never changing these out lol. I just ordered 2 new lamps off eBay. They're oem Toyota and cost me about $90. It's the part number for my car but for some reason it's the lights that come on the LS460 models. I just hope that it resolves my problem when it gets here. It should. But I'll keep my fingers crossed. I got the trunk to work. Just need that and I should be good. Never again will I go near that trunk again lol!
Attached Thumbnails 3GS License Plate Lights DIY, anyone know???-photo861.jpg  
Old 06-12-17, 04:13 AM
kennyray
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Toyota often uses one part across several models. I guess I would have got into the housing and tried to replace the actual LED. Even high powered ones are only a few bucks. If you are going to throw the old one away, please send it to me to see whether I can come up with a fix to share with the forum. In fact I have several LEDs that I could try. People think that the LEDs will last forever and they are pretty good, but I've also had a good number of them fail -- especially in a high-vibration environment like a bike light. I've replace several in bike lights and have scratch-built my own LED flashlights. Cheers, Kenny

Last edited by kennyray; 06-12-17 at 04:17 AM.
Old 06-12-17, 04:24 AM
kennyray
Driver School Candidate

Also, in my opinion something is missing from your photo. There should be something on the end of your wires that is round andbplugs into that hole. Did you take a VOM and check the voltage at the two wires tobsee wether you are getting power to the light? It's probably missing because broke, but that doesn't tell you whether LED broke or no power to the LED, which either would cause light not to work.
Old 06-12-17, 05:47 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kennyray
Also, in my opinion something is missing from your photo. There should be something on the end of your wires that is round andbplugs into that hole. Did you take a VOM and check the voltage at the two wires tobsee wether you are getting power to the light? It's probably missing because broke, but that doesn't tell you whether LED broke or no power to the LED, which either would cause light not to work.
I know it's good bro. I was the one that yanked the cable out once I got to the assembly. Thinking there was a bulb in it. I just ordered a new assembly. New lamps with the wire and all. I hope that resolves the problem. Because although I yanked 1 wire from one side out, doesn't that mean the other light on the other side should at least be working still? Or maybe they're both connected with the same wire?... We'll see. I'll keep you guys posted. If it works I'll put pics up as a mini DIY specifically for THIS problem. It seems NO ONE has ever attempted to do this. Only my DUMBASS thinking there was a bulb there lol. I'll fix it. The assembly should be on the way.
Old 06-12-17, 03:27 PM
tayslexus
Driver

The OEM lights are already white idk why you wanted to change them!! Anyways, my lights went out a few months ago due to one of housings being broken. I tried many times to change them but no luck. And yes they both went out at the same time not only the broken one. Finally the dealer changed the whole system for $290 CAD tax and labour in.
Old 06-12-17, 11:28 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tayslexus
The OEM lights are already white idk why you wanted to change them!! Anyways, my lights went out a few months ago due to one of housings being broken. I tried many times to change them but no luck. And yes they both went out at the same time not only the broken one. Finally the dealer changed the whole system for $290 CAD tax and labour in.
Do you have any receipts with part numbers??? What was it exactly that they changed??? My lamp assemblies are already on the way via USPS. I hope that when it arrives and I attempt to replace the 2 lamps and wiring that it works and I don't have to go to a stealership. And yes it was MY MISTAKE lol I was use to my 2GS and I didn't think that the 3GS had integrated LEDS. Let's wait and see. I'll post plenty pics soon enough. Thanks for the info bro! GodBless!

Quick Reply: 3GS License Plate Lights DIY, anyone know???