GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

3GS AC evaporator cleaning?? (not cabin filter)

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-17, 01:51 PM
Brabusx2
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 3GS AC evaporator cleaning?? (not cabin filter)

Any DIY or step to clean the AC evaporator with foam cleaner?

I use the forum search but all i found are people saying the Tranny need to be drop to access the drain plug or change out the cabin air filter, but i am sure the Evaporator is mold up so no way cabin air filter will help, the AC smell so bad so it gotta be clean, any help appreciated

found a video on a Lexus CT,

are they similar??
Old 06-28-17, 11:34 PM
Sodium
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

I used a different method to clean my HVAC system. It's been a while since I did it and I couldn't find the thread where I originally found the procedure, but I'm 98% sure this is correct:

1. Pour about 1/2 quart of 70% isopropanol into a clean spray bottle.
2. Pop the hood.
3. Turn the car on, open all the windows, turn the HVAC system to outside air, turn the AC off, set the temperature at high and set the fan to high.
4. Spray the alcohol into the HVAC intake behind the windshield wipers – do a few sprays, wait 10-15 seconds, repeat – until the bottle is empty.
5. Leave everything running for a few minutes to get all the alcohol out of the system. Also, check that fluid came out of the drains in the wheel wells to make sure you don't have a clog.
Old 06-29-17, 06:17 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Sodium,

I have done the same procedure on many of my vehicles. It really keeps the musty smell away and you know the system is clean.

I have also done this with the A/C on the coolest setting with the outside air on with fan on high. This also seems to work well.
Old 06-29-17, 07:55 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 778 Likes on 671 Posts

Old 06-29-17, 03:10 PM
Brabusx2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sodium
I used a different method to clean my HVAC system. It's been a while since I did it and I couldn't find the thread where I originally found the procedure, but I'm 98% sure this is correct:

1. Pour about 1/2 quart of 70% isopropanol into a clean spray bottle.
2. Pop the hood.
3. Turn the car on, open all the windows, turn the HVAC system to outside air, turn the AC off, set the temperature at high and set the fan to high.
4. Spray the alcohol into the HVAC intake behind the windshield wipers – do a few sprays, wait 10-15 seconds, repeat – until the bottle is empty.
5. Leave everything running for a few minutes to get all the alcohol out of the system. Also, check that fluid came out of the drains in the wheel wells to make sure you don't have a clog.
\
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...r-tube-is.html
i found the thread from 2IS thread, these is a picture of the passenger front wheel well and i am thinking if that's the drain hole, but other people saying it isn't,

i don't want to stick up in the wrong hole and spray ton of foam in there and mess things up
i am also concern if my drain is clogged, because i left my AC running on max with fresh air in for 15mins no water drip out, was thinking if vegas heat is so dry it dry up the water the moment they were still in evaporator, is it the hole right behind the passenger side wheel well?

Last edited by Brabusx2; 06-29-17 at 03:18 PM.
Old 06-30-17, 12:08 PM
Sodium
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Brabusx2
i don't want to stick up in the wrong hole and spray ton of foam in there and mess things up
That's what he said!

And as for the procedure you referenced, I do apologize, but I really can't tell you if it's correct or not since I've never used the foam. One thing that's very nice about the alcohol method I described is that both isopropanol and water (the two ingredients in rubbing alcohol) evaporate very quickly, so you don't have to worry about residues, or spraying it in the wrong place.

i am also concern if my drain is clogged, because i left my AC running on max with fresh air in for 15mins no water drip out, was thinking if vegas heat is so dry it dry up the water the moment they were still in evaporator, is it the hole right behind the passenger side wheel well?
Yeah if there's very little moisture in the ambient air, you're not going to get much water condensing on the evaporator and dripping out, and any that does drip out will evaporate very quickly in the hot, dry air. As for the location of the drain, I believe it's in that area (either in the passenger wheel well or immediately posterior to it). There is also a drain above the transmission.

If it were me, I would try the alcohol method first since it's cheap and easy. You'll also be able to see where the drain is in the event that you do need to use the foam
Old 06-30-17, 12:15 PM
Sodium
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by XJSFan
I have also done this with the A/C on the coolest setting with the outside air on with fan on high. This also seems to work well.
Thanks for the info! Does this method work better than the procedure I described?

And did you post the procedure in another thread a while back? I could've sworn I saw the procedure in the 3GS forum, but I just can't seem to find it now
Old 06-30-17, 03:06 PM
guzzy92fs
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

"That's what he said" hahahaha

Hey Sodium, the method yoy described sounds awesome, I will do it to my car this weekend!

​​​​​​ isopropanol and isopropyl alcohol are the same, right?

Btw, what method do you use to clean your sunroof drains?

Last edited by guzzy92fs; 06-30-17 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-30-17, 06:29 PM
Sodium
Lead Lap

he's very considerate

Yep, isopropanol and isopropyl alcohol are two names for the same thing

As for the sunroof drains, I've never cleaned them so I have no idea. Are yours clogged?
Old 06-30-17, 08:40 PM
guzzy92fs
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

No, they're not clogged but its not a bad idea to clean them properly often to avoid water getting inside, specially here in the Caribbean where it rains often.

​​
I used to clean my Lexus RX drains quarterly by blowing air inside the holes with a compressor, just checking if there is a better way to do it.

thanks mate!!
Old 07-06-17, 05:30 AM
Cashish
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get your hands on some Toyota air conditioning cleaning foam. It usually comes with a long flexible nozzle.
Remove the cover and gain access to the air conditioning filter. Remove the filter and with the blower fan off poke the nozzle through the fan blades towards the evaporator as deep as you can. Empty the whole can into the system. Let it sit for about ten minutes. All sorted!
Old 07-08-17, 11:56 PM
Brabusx2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Cashish
Get your hands on some Toyota air conditioning cleaning foam. It usually comes with a long flexible nozzle.
Remove the cover and gain access to the air conditioning filter. Remove the filter and with the blower fan off poke the nozzle through the fan blades towards the evaporator as deep as you can. Empty the whole can into the system. Let it sit for about ten minutes. All sorted!
umm, do you have pix on where to stick the nozzle? i were able to stick the nozzle between the fin, but i really unsure if the evaporator is right behind it, or it will route there