GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

LED backup and parking lights.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-17, 05:48 PM
Milonga
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default LED backup and parking lights.

Hello GS owners,

I thought I let you all know about my experience with this LED that I install today for backup and parking lights. I got them both from Amazon. Unfortunately while I was looking here in the forum, really liked ones from @xenondepot for parking but they don't sell 360 LEDs for parking lights anymore, Amazon's link at the end. First, backup:

On the left you can see the led and on the left the OEM halogen.

Here are both LEDs on, they are 360.
Now here are the parking lights:

As you can see the difference from OEM halogen.

It got a bit darker so it looks a bit better. Again, these are 360 LEDs.

Here is a picture with all lights one... I have LEDs installed on my fogs, and I will be changing both HIDs to match color since they actually don't.

Here is the link for the lights for anyone that is interested. I put reminders on my Google Calendar one for 6 months and another one for a year and I will come back unless something happens to one of the lights before and I will let you guys know how have they been so far during that time, so you guys will see me back here posting an update.

Backup: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0193ISBUA/ref=oh_aui_i_d_rec_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Parking lights: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01F6OY2C6/ref=oh_aui_i_d_rec_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I hope you guys found this helpful as I was wanted to change my light for a long time and as I was looking at the lights that people have to use here before, they're either from Japan, from places like xenondepot, but they don't sell them anymore, so here you have a options.

P. S. Don't mind my dirty car, washing it tomorrow.
The following 2 users liked this post by Milonga:
fishhouse4 (08-13-17), Propulsion (07-07-17)
Old 07-07-17, 06:55 PM
MozartMan
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Milonga,

Would you be so kind to provide brief write up or point to threads on how to replace those bulbs?

I bought GS350 few weeks ago for my son and didn't have time to learn ins and outs of the car.

Thanks.

PS

What LEDs do you have in your fog lights?
Old 07-07-17, 07:17 PM
Vooduguru
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There's a plastic blade on the top side of the DRL/High beams twist that, and the bulb is attached to the end of it. Pretty easy to change out. nearly all of my bulbs are LED now. Not sure if I'm going to do the HID low beams.
Old 07-07-17, 08:10 PM
Milonga
Rookie

Originally Posted by MozartMan
Milonga,

Would you be so kind to provide brief write up or point to threads on how to replace those bulbs?

I bought GS350 few weeks ago for my son and didn't have time to learn ins and outs of the car.

Thanks.

PS

What LEDs do you have in your fog lights?
Here are two videos to help you:
Backup: https://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2006_Lexus_GS300_3.0L_V6
Parking: https://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2006_Lexus_GS300_3.0L_V6/lights
Hope they help, any questions feel free to ask.
Old 07-07-17, 08:55 PM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

My question is about the high beam functionality after the swap out.
Will you lose your high beams with the new lights? Also, what type of voltage are these lights getting as DRLs? The stock halogens get half the voltage
as DRL which turns them yellow/orange. Yours appear to get full voltage for maximum brightness.
Old 07-07-17, 09:00 PM
Milonga
Rookie

Originally Posted by Propulsion
My question is about the high beam functionality after the swap out.
Will you lose your high beams with the new lights? Also, what type of voltage are these lights getting as DRLs? The stock halogens get half the voltage
as DRL which turns them yellow/orange. Yours appear to get full voltage for maximum brightness.
Parking lights and DRLs are two different bulbs... If see the housing of the high beam, you have a tiny bulb on the top right corner and that is your parking. Your DRLs are your high beam but at lower wattage so it won't affect your DRLs.
Old 07-07-17, 09:11 PM
guzzy92fs
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Nice work Milonga, looking good!

DRLS, I removed them as soon as I got my hands on the TS software! hate them!
Old 07-07-17, 09:35 PM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Milonga
Parking lights and DRLs are two different bulbs... If see the housing of the high beam, you have a tiny bulb on the top right corner and that is your parking. Your DRLs are your high beam but at lower wattage so it won't affect your DRLs.
Thanks, and just so I'm clear. The front lights you replaced were your DRLs correct? I want to get rid of the orange DRL but I always thought the lights were orange because of the low voltage when in DRL mode.

- btw, I'm gonna order the reverse LEDs tonight. The install looks easy and they look great on your car
Old 07-07-17, 10:44 PM
Milonga
Rookie

Originally Posted by Propulsion
Thanks, and just so I'm clear. The front lights you replaced were your DRLs correct? I want to get rid of the orange DRL but I always thought the lights were orange because of the low voltage when in DRL mode.

- btw, I'm gonna order the reverse LEDs tonight. The install looks easy and they look great on your car
No, the DRL are your high beams but at different voltage... The ones I changed are called parking light which are the ones with the very ugly yellow tint and those are a completely different bulb but on the same housing. So to clarify, you have to bulbs on that housing. The one you see right in the middle is the high beam/DRL and the other one on the top left corner are you parking (the ones I changed) and those are the two bulbs in that housing. The high beam works as DRL and parking works as parking aka city lights. Hope this helps. If not I'll take a picture to show you better.
Old 07-09-17, 05:08 AM
MozartMan
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Milonga,

What LED bulbs do you have in your fog lights?
Old 07-09-17, 11:51 AM
tcr101
Lead Lap

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice, have you considered completing the look with LED turn signals? You will want a new turn relay (i bought one off amazon for $20?).

On my white gs, completed the look to have everything with a 6000k look.
Old 07-09-17, 11:51 AM
Milonga
Rookie

Originally Posted by MozartMan
Milonga,

What LED bulbs do you have in your fog lights?
This are the ones I have: https://www.google.com.do/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.amazon.com/JLM-NPLED-C2-H11-6K-Headlight-Conversion-Rainproof/dp/B01CCNNYM8&ved=0ahUKEwjhkN3v7fzUAhXBQSYKHdQqAlcQFghIMAs&usg=AFQjCNFJO6jOoPoz_-nfOy5fFojbd7-h2w
I got them in Dominican Republic (moved here) and so far have been pretty good, had them for about a month. Will update you on how they are in a few months, before if any happens but I got a 1 yr warranty from the place I got them from.
Old 07-09-17, 12:58 PM
ANKOR
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its looks like you you swapped out your DRL's as well. Would you happen to know that part # as well? And do the bright lights still function... thanks

Originally Posted by Milonga
Hello GS owners,
I thought I let you all know about my experience with this LED that I install today for backup and parking lights. I got them both from Amazon. Unfortunately while I was looking here in the forum, really liked ones from @xenondepot for parking but they don't sell 360 LEDs for parking lights anymore, Amazon's link at the end. First, backup:

On the left you can see the led and on the left the OEM halogen.

Here are both LEDs on, they are 360.
Now here are the parking lights:

As you can see the difference from OEM halogen.

It got a bit darker so it looks a bit better. Again, these are 360 LEDs.

Here is a picture with all lights one... I have LEDs installed on my fogs, and I will be changing both HIDs to match color since they actually don't.

Here is the link for the lights for anyone that is interested. I put reminders on my Google Calendar one for 6 months and another one for a year and I will come back unless something happens to one of the lights before and I will let you guys know how have they been so far during that time, so you guys will see me back here posting an update.

Backup: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0193ISBUA/ref=oh_aui_i_d_rec_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Parking lights: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01F6OY2C6/ref=oh_aui_i_d_rec_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I hope you guys found this helpful as I was wanted to change my light for a long time and as I was looking at the lights that people have to use here before, they're either from Japan, from places like xenondepot, but they don't sell them anymore, so here you have a options.

P. S. Don't mind my dirty car, washing it tomorrow.
Old 07-09-17, 01:13 PM
Milonga
Rookie

Originally Posted by ANKOR
Its looks like you you swapped out your DRL's as well. Would you happen to know that part # as well? And do the bright lights still function... thanks
No, I did not swapped my DRLs, I swapped my parking/city lights. The DRLs are the high beams but at lower power. DRL/high beams are 9005 while parking are 168/194.
Old 07-09-17, 01:15 PM
Milonga
Rookie

Originally Posted by tcr101
Nice, have you considered completing the look with LED turn signals? You will want a new turn relay (i bought one off amazon for $20?).

On my white gs, completed the look to have everything with a 6000k look.
LEDs for turn? Explain, now I'm interested.

Quick Reply: LED backup and parking lights.