GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

All years of this gen burn oil ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-22, 03:49 PM
eicca
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

My sister's 2010 GS350 AWD burns oil like CRAZY at 150k miles. Can't say about the maintenance before she bought it, but she was getting synthetic oil changes every 3k miles for the first two years of owning it and the oil burning started after one year. It's bad, like a quart a month. No blue smoke out the exhaust and no leaks as far as we can tell.

Car runs great otherwise but it sucks that a $5k engine job is the only real fix. We're probably going to try soaking the cylinders and maybe that'll help...
Old 01-05-22, 09:27 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 778 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by eicca
My sister's 2010 GS350 AWD burns oil like CRAZY at 150k miles. Can't say about the maintenance before she bought it, but she was getting synthetic oil changes every 3k miles for the first two years of owning it and the oil burning started after one year. It's bad, like a quart a month. No blue smoke out the exhaust and no leaks as far as we can tell.

Car runs great otherwise but it sucks that a $5k engine job is the only real fix. We're probably going to try soaking the cylinders and maybe that'll help...
You need to examine the engine for external leaks, raise the car in the air and examine the engine front to back. I would also replace the pcv valve, super cheap and easy only takes 5-10min. If you cannot find external leaks then her piston maybe clogged.

If the piston rings are clogged, then you can try pouring chemicals directly into each spark plug hole. Keep an eye on the fluids height if the fluid drains quickly then know that pistons rings are clogged.

Heres a video showing how to pour into the spark plug holes
Old 04-23-22, 10:57 PM
flywgy21
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil issue

Originally Posted by PC94
I would highly disagree that this oil consumption problem is from lack of maintenance. I have an '08 GS350 currently plagued by this issue, and my vehicle receives constant attention from my local Lexus dealer. While changing the spark plugs and PCV valve can slightly decrease consumption, the only fix is to replace the piston rings. The dealer suggested that switching to Mobil1 could help, however, I'm not gung-ho to spend extra money on oil that will eventually be consumed.

I, too, have done an induction cleaning, cleaned the throttle body, and ensured everything else was in top-spec; to no avail.

This is a known defect that Lexus chooses to dismiss as "normal". Even my service advisor agreed that he has never heard of an "oil consumption test" until he started working for a Toyota/Lexus dealer ....
My 06 gs300 was burning oil I changed the pcv valve put full synthetic in it mobile one added Lucas injector cleaner got it up to around 80 on the highway for two hours got back home oil was jet black changed it again repeated 2 hour drive on highway it been three months and still doesn't burn oil no misfires anymore and oil is getting changed this week hope this helps cheaper than engine replacement mine has 153k on the odo
Old 05-19-22, 07:58 AM
User 122922
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ibidu1
All GS's 2006-2017 use the same exact piston rings! The induction design of the direct injection 2006's GS300 (US models) has a slight flaw in that the valves dont get washed by the fuel allowing carbon deposits to build up on the valves and pistons then eventually making its way to the rings. 2007-up with GS350 there have been a lot less oil consumption problems.

The reason for the 07-17 that have oil issues are most likely from poor maintenance and not taking extra steps. I use standard oil castrol GTX but I change my oil more often then what a person would do with synthetic oil. I also do induction cleaning, throttle body cleaning, spark plugs, and other basic maintenance. Im close to 170k miles and thankfully no issues on my 08 gs350 awd.

Also with the coolant its best to replace water pumps every 80k miles and fluid change.
regarding oil type, I’m using pennzoil platinum HM 5w30 and now switch to 10w30 PP HM, I read so many bad things about HM oil in general and I was thinking to switch back to NON HM oil is that okey or am I going to run into bigger problem later on? And I did a very stupid thing which I used 2 times AT-205 Reseal when I used to have white puff smoke upon warm startup but now the smoke is gone for good, so I’m kinda hesitant which oil is the best for this engine 2FA-FSE , many says use synthetic blend many says full synthetic im kinda lost in between, im averaging 20-22mi MPG not sure if that’s normal or I should be getting more MPG ! Any help would be appreciated 🙌🏼

I’m including a pictures of the product that I used in my engine AT-205 reseal and what it does to a brand new O Rings, it was only soaked in this container overnight the left one is the original size

Last edited by User 122922; 05-19-22 at 08:02 AM.
Old 05-19-22, 12:07 PM
User 122922
Pit Crew

All GS's 2006-2017 use the same exact piston rings! The induction design of the direct injection 2006's GS300 (US models) has a slight flaw in that the valves dont get washed by the fuel allowing carbon deposits to build up on the valves and pistons then eventually making its way to the rings. 2007-up with GS350 there have been a lot less oil consumption problems.

The reason for the 07-17 that have oil issues are most likely from poor maintenance and not taking extra steps. I use standard oil castrol GTX but I change my oil more often then what a person would do with synthetic oil. I also do induction cleaning, throttle body cleaning, spark plugs, and other basic maintenance. Im close to 170k miles and thankfully no issues on my 08 gs350 awd.

Also with the coolant its best to replace water pumps every 80k miles and fluid change.
How long do spark plugs normally lasts I got mine replaced last year and now I’m gettin misfire in cylinder 1&6 and my car shake very bad at stop and even worse when A/C is ON, I bought my OEM spark plugs from eBay maybe they were bad ??? Do you still using castrol gtx syntactic blend ? Or have you switch do different brand ? I’m leaning toward any good quality synthetic blend I feel my engine is not meant to run on full synthetic after seeing the history of the car which was running conventional for the entire ownership !!!
Old 05-20-22, 07:11 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Costantine
How long do spark plugs normally lasts I got mine replaced last year and now I’m gettin misfire in cylinder 1&6 and my car shake very bad at stop and even worse when A/C is ON, I bought my OEM spark plugs from eBay maybe they were bad ??? Do you still using castrol gtx syntactic blend ? Or have you switch do different brand ? I’m leaning toward any good quality synthetic blend I feel my engine is not meant to run on full synthetic after seeing the history of the car which was running conventional for the entire ownership !!!
OEM or Denso 3473 (part number FK20HBR11) iridium plugs 80-100k miles they should last. How much did you pay for your ebay oem spark plugs and was the seller from a lexus dealer? If you purchased a whole set of "oem" plugs for $20 bucks then more likely there fakes. Denso or OEM plugs prices start from $11 each plug. If you have a misfire driving with the misfire, will send unburnt fuel to the Catalytic convertors and will eventualy destroy them. Cats are very expensive so I suggest you fix it as soon as possible. You are better off taking it to a good mechanic.

I still use Castrol GTX and oil changes every 2800-3000 miles. Zero oil issues! I am close to 210k miles on my 08 GS350 awd
The following 2 users liked this post by ibidu1:
dakotawyatt (06-09-23), User 122922 (05-20-22)
Old 05-20-22, 07:58 AM
User 122922
Pit Crew

OEM or Denso 3473 (part number FK20HBR11) iridium plugs 80-100k miles they should last. How much did you pay for your ebay oem spark plugs and was the seller from a lexus dealer? If you purchased a whole set of "oem" plugs for $20 bucks then more likely there fakes. Denso or OEM plugs prices start from $11 each plug. If you have a misfire driving with the misfire, will send unburnt fuel to the Catalytic convertors and will eventualy destroy them. Cats are very expensive so I suggest you fix it as soon as possible. You are better off taking it to a good mechanic.

I still use Castrol GTX and oil changes every 2800-3000 miles. Zero oil issues! I am close to 210k miles on my 08 GS350 awd

I buy all my Lexus parts from https://parts.belllexusnorthscottsdale.com and sometimes from their shop on eBay they’re trusted Lexus authorized dealer they always run 15-20% cheaper than any dealer around, the spark plugs are the same exact part number you mentioned, i did check my battery and alternator and found out the volt regulator is “FAILD” could this be faulty alternator or battery ? I changed my battery last year from Costco intestate group 24,, and I also bought remanufactured alternator just got delivered yesterday Do you think alternator can cause all this !!? 🤔

Last edited by User 122922; 05-20-22 at 08:03 AM.
Old 05-20-22, 10:40 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Costantine
I buy all my Lexus parts from https://parts.belllexusnorthscottsdale.com and sometimes from their shop on eBay they’re trusted Lexus authorized dealer they always run 15-20% cheaper than any dealer around, the spark plugs are the same exact part number you mentioned, i did check my battery and alternator and found out the volt regulator is “FAILD” could this be faulty alternator or battery ? I changed my battery last year from Costco intestate group 24,, and I also bought remanufactured alternator just got delivered yesterday Do you think alternator can cause all this !!? 🤔
Yes for sure, if you have weak voltage or high voltage spikes then that will throw off a lot of electronics in the car. The alternator you purchased was it a oem or denso reman?

Old 05-21-22, 05:45 AM
User 122922
Pit Crew

Yes for sure, if you have weak voltage or high voltage spikes then that will throw off a lot of electronics in the car. The alternator you purchased was it a oem or denso reman?
Denso remanufactured