GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Transmission hard downshift from 2nd to 1st gear feels like getting rear ended

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-18, 04:39 PM
Haitham
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ToneTham

hello, I’m not too sure, in my case I did my own research and sent my ecm in for repair. Money was short so I did not have any mech or dealership take a look. I know its not much help but I can tell you that my ecm was repaired and vehicle no longer has the issue. I would try not to drive the vehicle in case further damages may occur. Sia did tell me that this was a very common problem and they get a lot of these ecm repaired so if you have the money try that first. If you really have money take it in to get an opinion however in my case, I did not because I’m short on cash.
Thank you ToneTham.
I called the dealer this morning and they charge around $140 for a one hour diagnostic!
I decided to send my ECM to SIA at the end of this week.
Old 02-03-18, 12:31 PM
Haitham
Driver School Candidate

Update #1:

Just removed the ECM. I'll send it to SIA hopefully today.

Last edited by Haitham; 02-03-18 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-04-18, 10:27 AM
rxmpvibes
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile

sorry I have been really busy with school. I shipped on Monday, got there Friday, sat and Sunday was closed. They worked on it on Monday and shipped on Tuesday. Got the part back on Monday I believe so almost two weeks roughly. Please update us on your results.
Cool! For me I mailed it out to them on Saturday via USPS Priority Mail. They got it on Mon. or Tues. Fixed it and sent it out on Tuesday and I got it to my doorstep that Thurs. So, 4-5 days! Car is running like new with no hard downshifts from 2nd to 1st gear. Car feels more responsive too!
Old 02-04-18, 11:01 AM
ez12a
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Keep us all updated please! I'm trying to sell mine with the transmission issue, but if I can just throw 150 or so at it and fix it that would be fantastic!
Old 02-06-18, 01:27 AM
majed1
Driver School Candidate

Update:
Sorry for the delay. The issue is fixed :-)
SIA is great. It took them only 2 days to ship it back to me after it arrived to their address.
I followed the instruction provided via TomTham links.
It took me around 10 minuets to unplug the wires, but I struggled a little bit to get the ECM out. The area was too tight little bit the ECM was stuck in the box, but not big deal just try moving it back and forth gently and you will get it out eventually if you get it stuck like in my situation.
I paid SIA through ebay via the link that TomTham provided $135 included the return shipping and shipped it via USPS in their box for $17 on way to SIA POX address. Ship it to their physical address if you are not shipping it via USPS as stated on SIA ebay account and their website. I printed the ebay receipt and I wrote on page my ebay user name, my address information, and my contact information and put them with the box.

In addition:
My transmission was rebuilt before.
One of the mechanics in my area quoted me $1,100 to open the transmission and fix the problem which was not the issue since the ECM is the issue.

You saved me a lot!
Thanks a lot to TonTham, the other members and SIA.
Old 02-09-18, 12:56 PM
Haitham
Driver School Candidate

Update #2:

Just got an email says that my ECM has been shipped back. I called them and they said that they fixed it.

It is gonna take 4-5 days.

I'll keep y'll updated.
Old 02-16-18, 01:20 PM
Haitham
Driver School Candidate

I got my ECM yesterday and i put back on. My car drives better but the problem is not completely gone! I can feel the hard downshift from 2nd to 1st sometimes.
Old 02-16-18, 02:07 PM
ToneTham
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Haitham
I got my ECM yesterday and i put back on. My car drives better but the problem is not completely gone! I can feel the hard downshift from 2nd to 1st sometimes.

im sorry to hear that. How long have you been driving the car with the harsh downshift? After the ecm fix, my car is still driving fine. I wonder if there are other underlying issues.
Old 02-16-18, 02:12 PM
Haitham
Driver School Candidate

im sorry to hear that. How long have you been driving the car with the harsh downshift? After the ecm fix, my car is still driving fine. I wonder if there are other underlying issues.

I bought the car a month ago and started to notice that within a week after i bought it.
Old 02-17-18, 01:02 PM
ToneTham
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Haitham
I bought the car a month ago and started to notice that within a week after i bought it.
I don't have any advice besides try looking into the tranny fluid. Keep us updated....
Old 02-22-18, 11:13 AM
ez12a
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I sent mine in the other day for my GS350 and we'll see if there's anything wrong with it. Figure I try spending $135 on it to see if it fixes the issue before selling it.
Old 03-13-18, 05:25 PM
Tallykool
Driver School Candidate

I had a similar transmission issue with my 2006 GS300. I was terrified. After reading what many people have done in this thread, I sent my ECM last Monday to SIA and got it back in a week. I installed ECM and test drove my baby, and found the issue is gone. Thank you all so much for sharing your experience. It is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-25-18, 05:32 PM
1STLXS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I had the same issue. Followed the advice on this thread and sent out my ECU to SIA and it fixed the problem. Great service from SIA Electronics. The dealership wanted $2,200 for a new ECU.
Old 04-07-18, 03:58 PM
PolyLexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1STLXS
I had the same issue. Followed the advice on this thread and sent out my ECU to SIA and it fixed the problem. Great service from SIA Electronics. The dealership wanted $2,200 for a new ECU.
I registered for this forum to confirm this is the correct solution to the problem. $135 plus shipping and it's fixed.
Old 03-01-19, 02:54 AM
Pinakas
Driver School Candidate

Hello all, a quick background about my vehicle, 2006 Lexus gs300 with 208,000 miles and transmission rebuilt at 170,000 due to being stuck in 3rd gear. Well all is well until recently my vehicle all of a sudden starts to have this hard / harsh downshift. This does not happen right before i put it into neutral before 20 mph coming to a stop. I have done searching and some member on ClubLexus have replaced their ecu through the dealer with success however, money is tight for me as of now. I have also heard of individuals replacing their selenoid/fluid with success. I am contemplating on sending my ecu in for rebuild by a company on ebay that repairs and ships back the repaired ecu/ecm. Any comments or opinions on your guy's experience in regards to this issue is greatly appreciated.

How did everyone whom experienced this issue resolved it and what was the cost ? Thanks in advance

Also i would like to remove the ecu/ ecm, can someone let me know where it is located? behind glovebox from what i understand, would i have to remove that as well to get to it.
I have a 2006 Lexus GS300 had a harsh downshift took it to a shop had them send it off for a repair and did a full transmission flush since it was due and fixed my problem. I was glad it was not the transmission! Send it off for a repair should fix the problem.

Quick Reply: Transmission hard downshift from 2nd to 1st gear feels like getting rear ended