GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

07 GS350...same beast as 08 ES350????

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-18, 05:49 PM
fabchef
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Default 07 GS350...same beast as 08 ES350????

Hi gang, i've been looking around at some used lexus's. there are 2 at the same dealership that i might go take a look at.
One is a 2007 GS350 (rwd) and the other a 2008 ES350 (fwd). both are around the same milage.
- I wanted to know if the engines are the same on both cars?
- are they the same size in the interior?
- Will the GS fair well with a good set of dedicated winter tires?
we get good amounts of snow here.
Any issues to look out for? I know the ES will do okay in snow, but wanted to get input on the GS
Thanks
fab
Old 02-12-18, 05:56 PM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Two totally different cars. The ES beats out the GS is just about every singe dimension there is to compare between these cars. The GS will be fine with dedicated snow tires. The Engines are not the same the GS makes 303hp the ES makes 268hp. The GS requires you use Premium the ES can totally run on regular gas. The GS handles better than the ES and will accelerate a little bit faster in a straight line. You should research both of these cars on the internet and see which priorities are at the top of your list and go from there.

good luck,
Old 02-13-18, 08:02 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by fabchef
Hi gang, i've been looking around at some used lexus's. there are 2 at the same dealership that i might go take a look at.
One is a 2007 GS350 (rwd) and the other a 2008 ES350 (fwd). both are around the same milage.
- I wanted to know if the engines are the same on both cars?
- are they the same size in the interior?
- Will the GS fair well with a good set of dedicated winter tires?
we get good amounts of snow here.
Any issues to look out for? I know the ES will do okay in snow, but wanted to get input on the GS
Thanks
fab
I don't know what the person above means, but the GS trumps the ES in every single possible way.

The engine is the same on both cars, but the internals are probably different (the compression ratio is different). Hence the need to use premium gas vs regular gas.

RWD cars are different from FWD cars. they're worse on fuel economy (since it takes more effort to get the rear wheels moving compared to the front wheel),
They're worse on snow and rain handling (you have to be very familiar with RWD if you're going in the snow and etc, as you can spin out very easily).
However, they handle on the dry pavevment better, planting all of it's power to the rear wheels while you're taking harsh turns.
Also, launching from a RWD is a lot better than launching from FWD, as the weight distribution goes towards the rear wheels, keeping it planted when you accelerate.

If you're looking for a performance-inspired car, the GS would be the way to go. If you're looking for a strict family car, with good gas mileage, and an economy-style car, get the ES.

FWIW: I've driven both cars, really dislike the ES's interior, it's pretty ugly, while the GS's interior is beautiful. The GS also drives a lot sportier than the ES.

Down below are brochures for both cars (all the data you're looking for):

http://www.lexus.com/images/ebrochur...ES_Page_13.pdf

http://www.lexus.com/images/ebrochur...GS_Page_14.pdf
Old 02-13-18, 08:53 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
I don't know what the person above means, but the GS trumps the ES in every single possible way.

The engine is the same on both cars, but the internals are probably different (the compression ratio is different). Hence the need to use premium gas vs regular gas.

RWD cars are different from FWD cars. they're worse on fuel economy (since it takes more effort to get the rear wheels moving compared to the front wheel),
They're worse on snow and rain handling (you have to be very familiar with RWD if you're going in the snow and etc, as you can spin out very easily).
However, the
y handle on the dry pavevment better, planting all of it's power to the rear wheels while you're taking harsh turns.
Also, launching from a RWD is a lot better than launching from FWD, as the weight distribution goes towards the rear wheels, keeping it planted when you accelerate.

If you're looking for a performance-inspired car, the GS would be the way to go. If you're looking for a strict family car, with good gas mileage, and an economy-style car, get the ES.

FWIW: I've driven both cars, really dislike the ES's interior, it's pretty ugly, while the GS's interior is beautiful. The GS also drives a lot sportier than the ES.

Down below are brochures for both cars (all the data you're looking for):

http://www.lexus.com/images/ebrochur...ES_Page_13.pdf

http://www.lexus.com/images/ebrochur...GS_Page_14.pdf

Um not sure if you read the message he posted but, he is comparing the 5th generation ES350 to the 3rd generation GS. The 5th gen ES is significantly roomier in cabin space than the 3GS. The trunks space is night and day difference ES trumps there too. The engines are not the same once again. They have two seperate engine codes 2GR-FSE vs 2GR-FE. The GS has Toyota’s D4S twin injection technology and VVT-i.The ES engine is tranversly mounted and the 3GS longitudinally mounted. The 5ES simply uses the 3.5 ubiquitous motor out of any run of the mill Camry V6 of Toyota Highlander and doesn’t require premium fuel. The 3GS 3.5l V6 engine is specific to RWD Toyota and Lexus applications only and has direct and port fuel injection. The 3GS looks better then the 5ES in my opinion. It’s drives better and handles better because it’s RWD with a sophicated suspension setup. But the 3ES and 5GS both have bland interiors. The 3GS has a slight advantage in interior ergonomics and design, but the material choices aren’t that much better than the 5ES. I’ve owned one ES and two GS models over the years and I daily a ‘13 GS350 AWD right now. I would take the 3GS with dedicated winter tires if it was me, but the 5ES is not a bad choice to go with.

Last edited by highrev6; 02-13-18 at 10:32 AM.
Old 02-13-18, 11:48 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by highrev6

Um not sure if you read the message he posted but, he is comparing the 5th generation ES350 to the 3rd generation GS. The 5th gen ES is significantly roomier in cabin space than the 3GS. The trunks space is night and day difference ES trumps there too. The engines are not the same once again. They have two seperate engine codes 2GR-FSE vs 2GR-FE. The GS has Toyota’s D4S twin injection technology and VVT-i.The ES engine is tranversly mounted and the 3GS longitudinally mounted. The 5ES simply uses the 3.5 ubiquitous motor out of any run of the mill Camry V6 of Toyota Highlander and doesn’t require premium fuel. The 3GS 3.5l V6 engine is specific to RWD Toyota and Lexus applications only and has direct and port fuel injection. The 3GS looks better then the 5ES in my opinion. It’s drives better and handles better because it’s RWD with a sophicated suspension setup. But the 3ES and 5GS both have bland interiors. The 3GS has a slight advantage in interior ergonomics and design, but the material choices aren’t that much better than the 5ES. I’ve owned one ES and two GS models over the years and I daily a ‘13 GS350 AWD right now. I would take the 3GS with dedicated winter tires if it was me, but the 5ES is not a bad choice to go with.
I've read the post, I understand which vehicle he is referring to, I drove that same car for a few months while my GS was in the paint booth.

The ES might have more room, but the GS feels way better in terms of luxury and comfortability. Every detail of the interior of the GS vs the ES is much smoother and more sophisticated feeling, even down to how the seats felt. You get TONS more features in the GS vs the ES (even if you don't get it full of options).

I stand by my statement, that the GS handles better, drives faster, looks better inside out, and is in every aspect, better than the 5ES, at least IMO.

I know the ES and GS's engines are mounted differently (hence why the ES is FWD and the GS is RWD or AWD). The engines both belong to the same family, therefore they're the same. You can't tell me it's not, it's even in the name, (2GR). Just like how the LS460, GS460, GX460 all share the same engine (as they're all the 1UR engine, but some have FSE configurations and FE configurations).

DI is a feature added to the core engine of the 2GR. It's like me saying, ohh, the compression ratio on the two engines are different, therefore they are different engines altogether.

Either way, to each their own. I would put my money onto a GS350. If he is considering a car for a snow-heavy region, I would def look into the GS-AWD vehicles, as its a much safer bet in the snow (given he does not want modify the suspension in any way).
Old 02-13-18, 03:23 PM
MX73
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by kitabel
The engines both belong to the same family, therefore they're the same

You mean except for (generic example) the rated power, pistons, rods, cams, manifold, iron or aluminum block, deck height, air cleaner, ECM, oil pan, exhaust etc.
The ID letters refer to the basic design only, any identical internal components are determined by the individual vehicle.
Easy example: all four 2JZ engines are all the same size, but use 2 different blocks, 4 different heads, 2 different exhausts, 4 different cams, 2 different manifolds, and 5 different power ratings.
There are actually 5 2JZ and 5 1JZ engines. The 5th one is the rare example; it also includes direct injection. Never made it stateside.

So yes, same engine family but very different in both cars especially the heads. I think the initial run of the ES350 requires premium fuel. Lexus updated the mapping in the 2011 ES to accept regular fuel. I remember everyone making a big fuss over it 6 years ago.