GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

TPMS Chect System light

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-18, 12:56 PM
vol96
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TPMS Chect System light

I have a G3 GS350 and a G4 gs350. I swapped wheels for a long trip. Both TPMS systems issued errors understandably. After the trip I swapped the wheels back. The G4 tpms is working fine. However the G3 is not, it has the Check System light. Reset attempts dont work. Its been this way for a month.

I did rotate the G3 wheels when I replaced them. I did not rotate the G4 wheels.

Any ideas how to fix the G3 tpms Check System ?
Old 03-03-18, 01:52 PM
MX73
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

You may need to reprogram the system with the sensor from the G3 unit. It may have learned the G4 after a certain distance.
Old 03-03-18, 01:54 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

How long have your drives been on the 3GS350?

If i recall, you need to drive for about an hr+ for it to relearn the tpms sensors again.
Old 03-04-18, 02:56 PM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

I’m sick of these damn TPMS sensors. I just purchased new tires and upgraded my stock 17s to OEM 18s and after a week or two of smooth riding the sensors are lit on my dash like a Christmas tree. Inspected the tires and pressure yet nothing was out of the ordinary. I suspect a dead battery in one of the sensors. Problem is, I’ll have to spend time and money to troubleshoot which sensor since Lexus’s system won’t pinpoint the specific tire .
Old 03-04-18, 09:19 PM
T90
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Propulsion
I’m sick of these damn TPMS sensors. I just purchased new tires and upgraded my stock 17s to OEM 18s and after a week or two of smooth riding the sensors are lit on my dash like a Christmas tree. Inspected the tires and pressure yet nothing was out of the ordinary. I suspect a dead battery in one of the sensors. Problem is, I’ll have to spend time and money to troubleshoot which sensor since Lexus’s system won’t pinpoint the specific tire .
LOL… I’m totally with you on this!

I frikin hate the system. I’d dump it in a heartbeat if there were some way to shut it off.

Mine are acting up again and yes, it’s going to be more $ and time wasted.

Seriously, shutting this damn thing off should be an option.
Old 03-05-18, 05:17 AM
vol96
Rookie

Good advice gokou, the light is off now after wating a couple hours post reset and driving about 5 miles.
Old 03-05-18, 01:03 PM
T90
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vol96
Good advice gokou, the light is off now after wating a couple hours post reset and driving about 5 miles.
Glad it started working for you after this last reset.

Funny it didn’t work for the prior reset attempts and a month wait time

Do you suppose you did something a little differently in this last reset?

I can’t get mine to reset to save my life, it basically started the way yours did after changing tires around/rotate.

First symptom was Check System light just as yours did. I did the reset to no avail. I then went around to each tire and added air, no change. Did a reset, no change. Then went around and let out air to 35psi, no change. Did another reset, then instead of the ”Check System” I got the “Low Tire”. Ok, now I’m getting somewhere, or so I thought. Went around adding a little air, brought all tires to 38psi. No change, went around added more air to about 40psi. Now the “Low Tire” is replaced with the ”Check System” again. Lowered the pressure to 37psi, no change. Lowered back to 35psi and it changes from ”Check System” back to “Low Tire”. Went around the car again trying to find the sweet spot, but never happened. It just went between ”Check System” and “Low Tire”.

I disconnected the battery and let the car sit for about an hour, reconnected it and no change, the “Low Tire” was back on.

Gave-up and left it as is, no change just “Low Tire”.

The manual doesn’t mention having to drive around for awhile, or wait a few hours or days before changes take effect after a reset.

Other people just add air when the light comes on and the light simply goes out right away, what gives here?

I suspect a bad sensor again…
Old 03-05-18, 02:31 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Propulsion
I'd rather have the system than not have it. I know it sounds like a hassle that it lights up like a christmas tree, but you have NO idea how many times it has saved my behind.... If the system wasn't in place I would have definitely driven on a flat tire without knowledge of it (I was on pretty stretched out 265-series tires).

To each their own, but if it was me I'd keep the system in place.

FWIW: Sams club is one of the few places that does TPMS reprogramming and diagnostics for really really cheap (AFAIK).

Tire Kingdom, Tires plus, Discount tire, etc. all charge $30-40 just to reprogram. I believe my bill for Sams Club Tire was $5 or $15 for reprogramming. They diagnosed which TPMS went bad for FREE for me (you just have to be nice).

Originally Posted by T90
LOL… I’m totally with you on this!

I frikin hate the system. I’d dump it in a heartbeat if there were some way to shut it off.

Mine are acting up again and yes, it’s going to be more $ and time wasted.

Seriously, shutting this damn thing off should be an option.
There's a reason why it isn't an option to be shut off

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire-p...itoring_system

Originally Posted by T90
Glad it started working for you after this last reset.

Funny it didn’t work for the prior reset attempts and a month wait time

Do you suppose you did something a little differently in this last reset?

I can’t get mine to reset to save my life, it basically started the way yours did after changing tires around/rotate.

First symptom was Check System light just as yours did. I did the reset to no avail. I then went around to each tire and added air, no change. Did a reset, no change. Then went around and let out air to 35psi, no change. Did another reset, then instead of the ”Check System” I got the “Low Tire”. Ok, now I’m getting somewhere, or so I thought. Went around adding a little air, brought all tires to 38psi. No change, went around added more air to about 40psi. Now the “Low Tire” is replaced with the ”Check System” again. Lowered the pressure to 37psi, no change. Lowered back to 35psi and it changes from ”Check System” back to “Low Tire”. Went around the car again trying to find the sweet spot, but never happened. It just went between ”Check System” and “Low Tire”.

I disconnected the battery and let the car sit for about an hour, reconnected it and no change, the “Low Tire” was back on.

Gave-up and left it as is, no change just “Low Tire”.

The manual doesn’t mention having to drive around for awhile, or wait a few hours or days before changes take effect after a reset.

Other people just add air when the light comes on and the light simply goes out right away, what gives here?

I suspect a bad sensor again…
Swing by a local tire shop and just have them figure it out for you.

TPMS sensors are cheap now.

I dont know if I've stated this, but you don't need OEM TPMS sensors (which DO cost a lot). You just need any sensor that matches the frequency your system picks up on.
Old 03-10-18, 07:57 PM
victorylap
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This TPMS system is a pain but this is the new age technology at work. If you live in Southern California I will gladly give you assistance on your car.
Old 03-11-18, 06:42 AM
gs350fan
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Yeah, no reason it can't display tire pressures on the interactive display like other cars. Probably 20 lines of code would make it happen, but they left it out(so you can come and spend money).
There are cheap adapters that can troubleshoot the system though. Like in the $20 range.
Old 03-12-18, 07:20 AM
vol96
Rookie

T90 - The only thing I did differently was set the parking brake. Dont know if this has any effect, guess its possible its in the reset circuitry, dont know.

After holding the reset for a few seconds, the tpms light (looks like a tire) flashed 3 times at a slower frequency, then the dash displayed 'Pressure Initial" or something like that. But still the 'Check system' was on. Until some time after the last attempt when it went away, and I didnt notice it until driving about a mile.

I would suggest you set tires to proper pressure (Ive read that G3 tpms only detects changes in pressure, it doesnt really know the actual pressure). Then try reset again with parking brake on.

Last edited by vol96; 03-12-18 at 07:24 AM.
Old 03-12-18, 09:59 AM
MX73
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by vol96

Ive read that G3 tpms only detects changes in pressure, it doesnt really know the actual pressure
It knows the actual pressure via techstream.