GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS 350 DRL/High beam replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-18, 12:26 PM
TickTock
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS 350 DRL/High beam replacement

Looking to replace my DRL/High beam light because of the dingy yellow that the DRL halogen bulb produces. I understand that if I replace it with an LED bulb, I'll lose my high beams. Will an HID replacment (like the 9005 HID kit from Xenon Depot) solve this issue? Will I get 'bluer' DRL AND also have high-beams?
Old 03-12-18, 01:35 PM
MX73
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

It depends. What LED bulbs are you looking at?

The one I have, you do not lose your high beam. In DRL mode, the LED will strobe but the high beam will still work.

There are anti-flicker relay that you can get. It should fix the strobe issue but there are 2 downfalls. It will force the lights to stay on high beam and it might blow out a fuse. I'm not sure how it is on the HID kit; it may force it into high beam mode.
The following users liked this post:
TickTock (03-12-18)
Old 03-12-18, 01:39 PM
TickTock
Driver School Candidate

This is the HID kit I'm looking at:

http://www.xenondepot.com/9005-HID-K...-p/xt-9005.htm

I already tried LED replacements, but as you mentioned, they flickered when in DRL mode. Now I'm wondering if this HID kit will give me both DRL & high-beams.
Old 03-12-18, 02:14 PM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

You can order some of the newer 9005 LEDs with built in anti flickering on Amazon. I tried some of the cheaper LED drl but experienced minimal flickering so I ordered a upgraded pair which is promised to not flicker or send error codes. I’ll install them this weekend.

these are the new ones I ordered for drl
Auxbeam LED NF-S1 Series LED with 2 Pcs of 9005 HB3 H10 9145 LED PHILIPS CSP LED Headlight Conversion Kit 50W 8000lm 6500K Single Beam - 1 Year Warranty
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Propulsion; 03-12-18 at 02:19 PM.
TickTock (03-12-18)
Old 03-12-18, 03:11 PM
xtremex626
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

you probably bought regular LED bulbs. you need high power LED kits with a fan motor. i have high power LEDs that work as DRL and high beams (super bright during the day with the exception of a little flickering; can be fixed with the proper LED headlight decoder. and at night, they work as high beams. theyre way brighter than my low beams and fogs combined). i've used the high beams in the canyons before and they definitely serve its purpose.

i have these on my car:

Amazon Amazon

paired with led headlight decoder from here: http://ddmtuning.com/Products/LED-He...-9005-9006-H10

and as far as the flickering goes.. it's part of lexus' DRL system. no real way to get rid of it even with an LED decoder. you can only minimize the flickering, not get rid. the only way you can get rid of it is to use a lower wattage LED bulb and in that case, it wouldn't be useful as a high beam.

Last edited by xtremex626; 03-13-18 at 12:31 PM.
TickTock (03-12-18)
Old 03-12-18, 03:57 PM
TickTock
Driver School Candidate

I ordered these and installed them. They even sent me the decoders but they didn't work at DRL-brightness:

Amazon Amazon
Old 03-12-18, 06:08 PM
xtremex626
Instructor

Originally Posted by TickTock
I ordered these and installed them. They even sent me the decoders but they didn't work at DRL-brightness:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
yeah.. depends what decoders you get. ive tried several and the only one that works is the DDMTuning one. give it a try.
Old 03-12-18, 06:46 PM
MX73
Racer

I had the DDMTuning.com LED decoder but it keeps popping my high beam fuse.

I gave up and disable my DRLs.
Old 03-12-18, 07:39 PM
Propulsion
Advanced

Originally Posted by xtremex626
you probably bought regular LED bulbs. you need high power LED kits with a fan motor. i have high power LEDs that work as DRL and high beams (super bright during the day with the exception of a little flickering; can be fixed with the proper LED headlight decoder. and at night, they work as high beams. theyre way brighter than my low beams and fogs combined). i've used the high beams in the canyons before and they definitely serve its purpose.

i have these on my car:

https://www.amazon.com/SOCAL-LED-Aut...00ZGVOHTI?th=1

paired with led headlight decoder from here: http://ddmtuning.com/Products/LED-He...-9005-9006-H10

and as far as the flickering goes.. it's part of lexus' DRL system. no real way to get rid of it even with an LED decoder. you can only minimize the flickering, not get rid. the only you can get rid of it is to use a lower wattage LED bulb and in that case, it wouldn't be useful as a high beam.
You’re right, the flickering may be a mainstay in most upgrades of this type. Especially involving those that double as daytime running lights and high beams. But it can be minimized. I currently have a pair of LED Cougars on my GS with flickering that only I may noticed. But I’m very particular so I plan to swap them out with some AUXBEAMS LEDs with built in anti flickering and no fan. I’ll update later in the week once they’re installed.
Old 03-12-18, 07:46 PM
Propulsion
Advanced

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Hmm, I have the same brand currently installed on my car but they’re the lower priced versions. I like the light output but as I said, there is some minimal flickering that annoys me. I’m swapping them out with a pair from AuxBeams this week. No decoders, no fan.
Old 03-12-18, 07:50 PM
MX73
Racer

I think the issue is the 6V pulsing DRL. Most of these high power LED bulbs requires 9-12V to function properly.
Old 03-13-18, 12:28 PM
xtremex626
Instructor

the only time i can really see the flickering is if im behind a car (reflections from their rear bumper) or if i have the DRLs on at night (engine on, all lights off). other than that, if you look directly in front of the car.. can't really see the flickering. it's just super bright you wouldn't even want to stare at it for too long.

oh and of course.. once you hit the high beams.. no flickering at all since its using all the power (it's even brighter than the DRL since its running at full power)
Old 03-13-18, 12:35 PM
xtremex626
Instructor

Originally Posted by Propulsion

Hmm, I have the same brand currently installed on my car but they’re the lower priced versions. I like the light output but as I said, there is some minimal flickering that annoys me. I’m swapping them out with a pair from AuxBeams this week. No decoders, no fan.
yeah i've seen some people run LED bulbs w/o fans that are bright enough as a DRL with no flickering. but personally, i'd rather have best of both worlds in case i do need the high beams.

Originally Posted by MX73
I had the DDMTuning.com LED decoder but it keeps popping my high beam fuse.

I gave up and disable my DRLs.
hm..i've never had any problems with a popped fuse with the DDMTuning decoders. i've also installed several of these decoders on other 3gs' with no problems whatsoever as well. did you also try reverse polarity on the connections?
Old 03-13-18, 01:05 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

This is the HID kit I'm looking at:

http://www.xenondepot.com/9005-HID-K...-p/xt-9005.htm

I already tried LED replacements, but as you mentioned, they flickered when in DRL mode. Now I'm wondering if this HID kit will give me both DRL & high-beams.
Our HID and LED bulbs have this in common: once they are on they are either ON or OFF, with no real in-betweens. You need the CANBUS/PWM anti-flicker modules to regulate the power flow and prevent flickering/startup issues in DRL mode, but the lights are going to be on at full brightness either way. At this point, if you want brighter High Beams but still need the dimmer DRL function, you might have to stick with halogens, like 9005 Osram Night Breakers (performance bulbs with a bit more output than stock).

~Robert
Old 03-13-18, 01:15 PM
gs350fan
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Do the DRLs come from the high beams or the little parking lamp on the side? I don't believe my high beams are lit during the day.

Quick Reply: GS 350 DRL/High beam replacement