GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Tesla Style Headunit with OEM Camera

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-20, 02:25 AM
bkcoughlin
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone know where else the Television Camera Controller might be located in a Japanese 2006 GS 450h? I looked behind the glovebox and that module is not present. There's just a space where the OP shows the location of theirs. I have NAV and ML system.
Old 07-13-20, 03:05 AM
lasem99
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bkcoughlin
Anyone know where else the Television Camera Controller might be located in a Japanese 2006 GS 450h? I looked behind the glovebox and that module is not present. There's just a space where the OP shows the location of theirs. I have NAV and ML system.
Could you take a photo of what is behind the glove box.
Old 07-13-20, 05:17 PM
bkcoughlin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lasem99
Could you take a photo of what is behind the glove box.
Sure. Thanks for taking a look. There’s a unit on top, but the connector looks like it might match K46 from your diagram.

Old 07-21-20, 06:25 AM
lasem99
Driver

Sure. Thanks for taking a look. There’s a unit on top, but the connector looks like it might match K46 from your diagram.

Hi,
Sorry for the late reply. GS350H 2006 is similar to the GS300 2008 model in the wiring of the backup camera (post #12).
Follow the same steps for K47 plug behind the head unit.
You will need to power the camera with 6v output.

Can you send me a photo of the back of the original head unit please. I have an idea that might work.
Old 07-21-20, 01:36 PM
bkcoughlin
Driver School Candidate

Hi,
Sorry for the late reply. GS350H 2006 is similar to the GS300 2008 model in the wiring of the backup camera (post #12).

Can you send me a photo of the back of the original head unit please. I have an idea that might work.
Here you go. Hope it’s clear enough. If not I’ll try to take a better one. Thanks!

Old 07-21-20, 07:07 PM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

For the backup camera can I use the wireless transmitters from Amazon as a good alternative to the hard wiring hacks? Those diagrams and instructions looks like something from a NASA space shuttle
Old 07-22-20, 01:30 AM
bkcoughlin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Propulsion
For the backup camera can I use the wireless transmitters from Amazon as a good alternative to the hard wiring hacks? Those diagrams and instructions looks like something from a NASA space shuttle
I just tried a wireless cam and was not at all happy with the results. Flickering and some static in the picture. I didn't pay a "lot" for the wireless set or camera, so maybe you get what you pay for. But I really would rather not have to install another or a different cam in the back of the car, so I went the OEM route. Actually wasn't horrible, thanks to Lasem99's instructions. I still need to get either a buck converter to step down the 12v to 6v (or make one) so I'll be off to the electronics store tomorrow to look for options (or parts to make one). But I tested the camera wiring with 4 AA batteries and it worked perfectly.

Old 07-22-20, 01:32 AM
bkcoughlin
Driver School Candidate

Hi,

Thanks for your contributions here--it really helped me get this thing working. As I mentioned above I just need to finish up the voltage step-down... unless your idea involves some other 6v source in the car.
Old 07-23-20, 12:18 PM
lasem99
Driver

Thanks for your contributions here--it really helped me get this thing working. As I mentioned above I just need to finish up the voltage step-down... unless your idea involves some other 6v source in the car.
Hi,
My idea is to detach the part of the factory head unit which has the K47 plug and connect the plugs that are not reserved for the new unit to that part. I am thinking if it is possible to get 6v out of it.
If you see that hard to implement (i am not sure if it will work), then just use an IC as described in the link to convert 12v to 6v.
In case you missed the link, Here is a link discribing how to convert 12v to 6v :
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/27...et-stereo.html

Last edited by lasem99; 07-23-20 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07-23-20, 12:23 PM
lasem99
Driver

Originally Posted by Propulsion
If your car is 2006 then it is much easier than you think. It looks complicated, but believe me if you did it one step at a time you will be able to get it done. 😊
Old 07-24-20, 07:36 PM
bkcoughlin
Driver School Candidate

Hi,
My idea is to detach the part of the factory head unit which has the K47 plug and connect the plugs that are not reserved for the new unit to that part. I am thinking if it is possible to get 6v out of it.
If you see that hard to implement (i am not sure if it will work), then just use an IC as described in the link to convert 12v to 6v.
In case you missed the link, Here is a link discribing how to convert 12v to 6v :
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/27...et-stereo.html
I thought about that too, but it looks buried in the HU and I want to keep everything intact incase the next owner wants the original HU for some reason.

I did however test out the OEM cam with 5V and it fired right up. So, I’m going to run it like that for a while and see what happens. Under-voltage shouldn’t cause any permanent damage, as far as I know.

If it works out long term, getting 12V to 5V is as easy as any “cigarette lighter” USB adapter. I pulled a small one apart and just used the circuit board.
Old 07-26-20, 02:20 PM
lasem99
Driver

I thought about that too, but it looks buried in the HU and I want to keep everything intact incase the next owner wants the original HU for some reason.

I did however test out the OEM cam with 5V and it fired right up. So, I’m going to run it like that for a while and see what happens. Under-voltage shouldn’t cause any permanent damage, as far as I know.

If it works out long term, getting 12V to 5V is as easy as any “cigarette lighter” USB adapter. I pulled a small one apart and just used the circuit board.
Great idea, hope it works permanently for you.
Old 08-31-20, 03:52 PM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

I can this voltage conversion kit help with the install on the 2006 models? It’s supposed to the convert the 12v to 6volts for our rear view cameras. I took this snap shot from one of Dennis’s videos but he hasn’t replied with any details as of yet. I know the 2010-2011 GS models has a different method.

Old 09-03-20, 03:43 PM
gs350fan
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Aren't the DRLs driven with 6V?
Old 10-08-20, 07:25 AM
blobsaw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lx470

Will this write-up be the same for the Lexus lx470?

Quick Reply: Tesla Style Headunit with OEM Camera