GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2006 GS430 Won’t Start!!! (((HELP!)))

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-18, 03:10 PM
LexusFlex6
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2006 GS430 Won’t Start!!! (((HELP!)))

Car ran great... dropped off my son in the am at school and when I was to pick him up... it just cranks but won’t start?!? Any ideas? (Just put new battery) checked fuses... all good... maybe Starter??? I’d hate to start changing parts that won’t possibly fix the issue... Any advice is gratefully appreciate!
Attached Files
Old 05-09-18, 04:24 PM
gs350fan
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusFlex6
Car ran great... dropped off my son in the am at school and when I was to pick him up... it just cranks but won’t start?!? Any ideas? (Just put new battery) checked fuses... all good... maybe Starter??? I’d hate to start changing parts that won’t possibly fix the issue... Any advice is gratefully appreciate!
Well, any car needs 3 things to run, spark, air, and fuel.
I would start with a scanner to read codes. The computer controls all three of the above.

Your starter sounds pretty healthy to me.
Old 05-09-18, 04:50 PM
tgs350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup, starter sounds active in the video. It is a new battery, but you could try jumping it again to see if it starts. I did read something on this forum about new battery and not starting. Also check the terminal leads to make sure they're clean and fastened. After that, I'd run the codes as suggested by gs350fan.
Old 05-09-18, 05:07 PM
LexusFlex6
Driver School Candidate

Scan it even if Check engine light ain’t on?

Originally Posted by gs350fan
Well, any car needs 3 things to run, spark, air, and fuel.
I would start with a scanner to read codes. The computer controls all three of the above.

Your starter sounds pretty healthy to me.
Old 05-09-18, 05:10 PM
LexusFlex6
Driver School Candidate

Tried jump starting it... n nothing... I checked terminals and even took battery off and went to get it checked... it’s good... they told me maybe a sensor? I read online that it could be clogged up catalytic converters... crankshaft or camshaft sensors or even fuel pump but as I mentioned... no check engine light..... puzzles me how all of a sudden but I know things can go out in a blink of an eye...

Originally Posted by tgs350
Yup, starter sounds active in the video. It is a new battery, but you could try jumping it again to see if it starts. I did read something on this forum about new battery and not starting. Also check the terminal leads to make sure they're clean and fastened. After that, I'd run the codes as suggested by gs350fan.
Old 05-09-18, 05:34 PM
gs350fan
Intermediate

Scan it even if Check engine light ain’t on?

How would you know if its on if isn't running? It should prove out when you turn the key.
Also, you can verify the PCM Is alive.

A good scan tool can show fuel pressure too.
Old 05-09-18, 05:37 PM
gs350fan
Intermediate

Tried jump starting it... n nothing... I checked terminals and even took battery off and went to get it checked... it’s good... they told me maybe a sensor? I read online that it could be clogged up catalytic converters... crankshaft or camshaft sensors or even fuel pump but as I mentioned... no check engine light..... puzzles me how all of a sudden but I know things can go out in a blink of an eye...

Some Tachs move as you crank. If the needle moves, the crank sensor is probably "ok." Don't know if it is the case with these cars. Never noticed :lol:. How many miles on the car? Is it well maintained?
Old 05-09-18, 05:40 PM
LexusFlex6
Driver School Candidate

Almost 180... we’ll maintain and the needle
does move....

Some Tachs move as you crank. If the needle moves, the crank sensor is probably "ok." Don't know if it is the case with these cars. Never noticed :lol:. How many miles on the car? Is it well maintained?
Old 05-09-18, 05:42 PM
LexusFlex6
Driver School Candidate

Old 05-09-18, 05:43 PM
LexusFlex6
Driver School Candidate

You got me in that one... well wasn’t on when I parked it but who knows now...

How would you know if its on if isn't running? It should prove out when you turn the key.
Also, you can verify the PCM Is alive.

A good scan tool can show fuel pressure too.
Old 05-09-18, 08:22 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 772 Likes on 665 Posts

Def not the starter! Sounds like possibly a fuel or ignition issue. On the fuel rail see if theres a schrader valve press it and see if fuel sprays out.

Your best bet would be to send it to the lexus or toyota dealer and pay for an hours worth of diagnostics. Or even see if a mobile mechanic or a good mechanic in the area.

I have a suspicion it is your fuel pressure sensor on the fuel rail.
Old 05-09-18, 08:37 PM
alqatou
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

most likely fuel pump
Old 05-10-18, 07:54 AM
LexusFlex6
Driver School Candidate

I put the car in ACC and pressed the valves you mentioned and nothing came out... no fuel at all....

Originally Posted by ibidu1
Def not the starter! Sounds like possibly a fuel or ignition issue. On the fuel rail see if theres a schrader valve press it and see if fuel sprays out.

Your best bet would be to send it to the lexus or toyota dealer and pay for an hours worth of diagnostics. Or even see if a mobile mechanic or a good mechanic in the area.

I have a suspicion it is your fuel pressure sensor on the fuel rail.
Old 05-10-18, 08:07 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 772 Likes on 665 Posts

I put the car in ACC and pressed the valves you mentioned and nothing came out... no fuel at all....

Great! Now atleast you know the engine is not getting fuel. There could be several things going on, but I would first check to see if the fuel pump fuse is good. If its good I would test for voltage with a voltmeter at the fuel pump, make sure it gets power once you have ACC thats when the fuel pump should prime itself. If you do get power at the fuel pump, know that your pump is bad and that you should replace it. If you do not get power, then you will need to find the source of the problem. Could be a bad fuel rail sensor, relay, bad crank or camshaft sensor, bad ecu, bad security system
Old 05-10-18, 08:43 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,164 Likes on 1,626 Posts

If you were a tech, you'd check pressure at the rail.

This seems like textbook fuel pump or fuel pump relay. If you're savvy, swap the fuel pump relay (if there is one) with another relay that the car shares thats identical (example in the BMW world, we'd swap the horn relay with the fuel pump relay for testing purposes)

Seems like the pump is just likely dead. You can also tap the fuel pump with something blunt, hammer etc. and see if you can get it to engage. Could have worn rotor/brushes inside the pump.
The following users liked this post:
iversonc (05-18-21)

Quick Reply: 2006 GS430 Won’t Start!!! (((HELP!)))