GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2008 GS350 - Steering light

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-18, 10:15 PM
HCTXLexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2008 GS350 - Steering light

Hello all....File this in the no good deed category. I changed the battery out on the wife's GS and dropped the hold down nut which rolled under the PS module. No big deal I unplugged the PS module grabbed the nut and bolted it all back together. Now I get the check PS warning light and the steering is "stuck in cement" heavy. I doubled checked the connections and couldn't find any broken wires and everything was snugged back. The harness' all look in good shape no cracks etc.

Any ideas?

After reading some of the posts is it possible the PS module lost its calibration?

ETA - I let it sit almost 24 hours with the battery disconnected and it started up and worked fine for about 2 minutes. The light came back on.

Last edited by HCTXLexus; 05-15-18 at 05:04 PM.
Old 05-15-18, 09:16 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

best to get a OBD scanner and scan for problems to your car.

When you disconnected the harness, you might have damaged it on the way out a little.

Thread for reference:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...help-asap.html
Old 05-15-18, 11:08 AM
HCTXLexus
Driver School Candidate

I should have posted that I checked with my obdii and it showed no codes.

the harness looks good no broken wires or damaged insulation. I was her gentle pulling the connectors off I have a multimeter but how do you troubleshoot the harness when you have to pull the battery to get to it?
Old 05-17-18, 11:01 AM
HCTXLexus
Driver School Candidate

out of options I took it to the dealer and they swear the torque sensor is bad and the rack needs to be replaced. I made them clear the codes and that worked long enough for them to park it and the porter to drive it to the pickup lane.

They never calibrated or tried.....I left it with them and told them to calibrate it. If they don't I'm bringing it home and giving calibration a go myself. I've got the techstream software working. Are there any guides or walk throughs on calibrating the PS? I searched but didn't come up with much.
Old 05-18-18, 01:18 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

ouch! that bites!! If lexus won't do it, your yota dealership will.... call them and ask, it doesn't hurt.
Old 05-18-18, 04:26 PM
HCTXLexus
Driver School Candidate

Lexus kept saying the couldn't get the codes to clear, well no kidding It's throwing 1515 and 1525. These guys aren't the sharpest tools in the box.
Which are:
C1515 Torque Sensor Zero Point Adjustment Undone
C1525 Rotation Angle Sensor Initialization Undone

What I think is going on is due to this:
According to tech stream "steering angle sens sig" is throwing NG(1) which means NG: Steering angle sensor signal is not received according to this site List of data points I'm wondering if I didn't break a wire somewhere but I can't find any schematics for that particular sensor/signal. Another site says that NG1 means setup not complete, is there a calibration of the steering angle sensor that needs to be done 1st?

My hunch is you can't perform the torque calibration without that sensor signal

Last edited by HCTXLexus; 05-18-18 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-07-19, 04:53 AM
heart2hate
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you ever get this fixed? I have the same exact problem.
Old 01-07-19, 01:43 PM
HCTXLexus
Driver School Candidate

Default Issue was resolved

I ended up replacing the harness, control module and rack. I had to pay someone to do it because I needed a lift to get the rack off. The shop that did it had a hell of a time getting it to calibrate and replaced each component individually and in different combinations. Only replacing all 3 fixed the issue. Something shorted and took all 3 components out. It's going into the dealer for a recall tomorrow I'll be interested to see if they have any issues.

All this started when I replaced a battery.

The shop ordered the rack from here : https://www.buyautoparts.com/buynow/...E?crid=4958680

It was a whole lot cheaper than the dealership and the only aftermarket one we could find.

Old 01-08-19, 02:49 PM
heart2hate
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply! Wow looks like I'll have to do the same. So you replaced the rack, EPS (under the battery), and the harness to the EPS?
once you replaced all three together you were able to calibrate and get rid of all the codes and warning lights?
I still can't believe changing a battery would take out the steering system. Shouldn't it have some kind of safe system to keep it from shorting out? Thanks again!
Old 01-08-19, 03:08 PM
HCTXLexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by heart2hate
Thanks for the reply! Wow looks like I'll have to do the same. So you replaced the rack, EPS (under the battery), and the harness to the EPS?
once you replaced all three together you were able to calibrate and get rid of all the codes and warning lights?
I still can't believe changing a battery would take out the steering system. Shouldn't it have some kind of safe system to keep it from shorting out? Thanks again!
Correct. The shop replaced all 3 and then we were able to calibrate it without issue. The EPS and harness were bought off EBAY for $80. If you've got a way to get the car off the ground safely, it can be done fairly inexpensively. The dealer wanted almost $2500 for just the rack not including labor. I can't imagine what they would have charged for the rest.
The following users liked this post:
heart2hate (01-08-19)