GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

New Tire Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-18, 03:03 AM
pvsmith
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a year and a half on my Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus and they are the greatest tires in the world. Soft, quiet ride and they hug the road perfectly.
The following users liked this post:
BB11 (06-30-19)
Old 12-12-18, 08:51 PM
JLSC
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Had the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S which handled great in dry conditions but the ride was too harsh. They performed mediocre in wet conditions and very poor in the snow, even in very light snow.

Then went with Nokian WRG4 (all weather tire) since they were so highly recommended including much less noise than the WRG3. The Nokian's were OK for noise, except on coarse pavement especially at higher speeds. Great traction on wet pavement and did well in the corners. Hadn't tried them in the snow but I expect they would have performed well. Not a nice looking tire FWIW. The ride at low speeds not really smooth, probably due to the tread design for all weather.

Recently traded those in for Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06, having now driven approx. 300 miles on them. The Continentals handle very well in dry and wet conditions and the ride is smooth. The level of noise is disappointingly higher than what I expected based on the many reviews. Will see how they do in the snow, if we get any this winter. The Continentals also look nice on the car IMHO. I guess it's hard to have it all.
Old 12-14-18, 06:21 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Had Michelin A/S 3's on my 460, and they started to flake apart around 20k, so I went with some Super Sports after, and I dislike them even more. I don't get all the hype around Michelin to be honest... We also had some on my wife's Cayenne, and they were absolute crap, so we just put some Pirelli Scorpion Verde All-seasons on, and we're both amazed at how much the ride quality has improved. Both of us always assumed the Cayenne just rode super harsh, but now it's far more quiet and soft, which is very important here in Houston. With that said, I'll likely be going with Pirelli for my next set of tires.
Old 12-19-18, 06:20 PM
pbxcomm
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi all..
OK., so ends my research and have made a final decision on tires. Here is what I have concluded:
Michelins Pilot Sport A/S 3+, good tire, not great. Although I had 32,000 miles on this set, I never really felt comfrotable with the ride or handling of these tires. Theye were acceptable and at the time I decided to stick with them.
My next set, Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus.. WOW couldnt wait to get these set of tires of my Lexus. They were extremely harsh on every bump in the road. Noisy beyond comparison to any tire I have ridden on. Excessive feedback through the sterring wheel made the car tiresome to drive almost to fatigue at 70 MPH. They did however track very well.
Now, Goodyear Assurance Comfort Tread Touring, WOW these tires WOW me. I would highly recommend these for our GS350, they are, without a doubt in my opinoin the tires for this car. Virtually little if any road noise. Smoothest ride I have ever experienced and other GS's I had test drove. Handling is effortless almost rediculously easy to steer. We had some rain, so I went out on the highway at 70 MPH. The tries felt glued to the road. I tried to break the tires loose at a light and could not. I picked up 1 to 2 MPG, however may be related to change of weather. Overall, I see no other reason to go with any other tire. Now, I was a Goodyear owner years ago but went away from the brand. Now I'm sold and if your looking for a set of tires, try these on first.

By the way, for comparison purposes, ALL the tire sets I had tried had the exact same tire pressue on all four tires with 1/2 of a pound (32.5 LBS).

Thats it for now..
The following users liked this post:
LexNYC83 (03-24-19)
Old 03-08-19, 11:05 AM
cbates74
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JLSC
Had the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S which handled great in dry conditions but the ride was too harsh. They performed mediocre in wet conditions and very poor in the snow, even in very light snow.

Then went with Nokian WRG4 (all weather tire) since they were so highly recommended including much less noise than the WRG3. The Nokian's were OK for noise, except on coarse pavement especially at higher speeds. Great traction on wet pavement and did well in the corners. Hadn't tried them in the snow but I expect they would have performed well. Not a nice looking tire FWIW. The ride at low speeds not really smooth, probably due to the tread design for all weather.

Recently traded those in for Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06, having now driven approx. 300 miles on them. The Continentals handle very well in dry and wet conditions and the ride is smooth. The level of noise is disappointingly higher than what I expected based on the many reviews. Will see how they do in the snow, if we get any this winter. The Continentals also look nice on the car IMHO. I guess it's hard to have it all.
I agree with the Continental Extreme tires. I've been riding mines for 18 months with no issue's.
Old 03-09-19, 04:27 AM
samsonn25
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I have tried Rydanz R02 at 1/3 the price of Michelin and they perform 90% as good. Good for a daily driver or someone who drives alot or in areas where there are alot of road hazards, because the price is cheap to replace.
Old 03-12-19, 01:23 PM
Ironman50
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I would like to buy the Pirelli Cinturato P7 tire but unfortunately does not come in my tire size 245/40R/18

Last edited by Ironman50; 03-12-19 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-29-19, 08:46 AM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by TRD_Power
Had Michelin A/S 3's on my 460, and they started to flake apart around 20k, so I went with some Super Sports after, and I dislike them even more. I don't get all the hype around Michelin to be honest... We also had some on my wife's Cayenne, and they were absolute crap, so we just put some Pirelli Scorpion Verde All-seasons on, and we're both amazed at how much the ride quality has improved. Both of us always assumed the Cayenne just rode super harsh, but now it's far more quiet and soft, which is very important here in Houston. With that said, I'll likely be going with Pirelli for my next set of tires.

how noisy were your a/s 3s? my car has these, and get a lot of road noise from about 15-20mph up. not sure of the tire age, but barely any wear.

starting to wonder if it’s tire noise or possibly rear wheel bearings tho.

Last edited by mspearl95; 06-29-19 at 12:44 PM.
Old 06-29-19, 12:26 PM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I have Hankook Ventas S1 noble2's on my 2006 GS430 and they are quiet and ride pretty decent...
Old 06-30-19, 07:28 AM
Jontay
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

2010 GS350 AWD. I purchased car in 11/2015 so I've had it about three and a half years. Purchased it with right exactly 100K miles on it it.... now has just a hair over 150k. Purchase from a dealer and it looks like they had put brand new tires on right before putting it on the lot.
I'm not making any suggestions because I don't know any better...... just relaying the facts of what has happened to me, in case it helps.

Tires: Cooper M+S 225/55R17 CSS GRAND TOURING

Have never rotated the tires because they are wearing very evenly.....all 4 tires. Quite a bit of tread left and It looks like I am a good 10-20k miles from the wear/replacement tab. I typically have the fronts at 32psi (cold) and the rear at about 30psi (cold). Sometimes I bump them up 2-3 psi if I'm going on a long highway trip. Otherwise, my driving is about a 50/50 ratio of mixed Highway and City roads. I cosistantly average 24-26 mpg for each tank (calculating method: fill tank, reset trip odometer, drive a full tank, fill tank again, trip odometer miles ÷ gallons to refill tank = mpg.). I typically get 390-410 miles to a tank of gas.

Btw, I live in Boise so we do get some winter snow. Car is very stable when driving in the snow and gets good traction.

I'm curious as to what others think of these tires and what I've stated? Again, I have no preference or recommendations.....this is just my experience so far with the tires that were on the car when I purchased 50k miles ago.
Old 06-30-19, 07:33 AM
Jontay
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Btw.....I have had a little problem with tires losing a little airfrom time to time, and the low air sensor turning on. I thought it was due to a tiny hole in one of the tires but the last tire place I took it to informed me that it was leaking near the tire bead. The tire mechanic lightly sanded the wheel rim, remounted the tire, and now it has went much longer without having to put more air into the tire.
When I buy new tires I'm going to have all four rims sanded.
Old 06-30-19, 10:49 AM
BB11
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gs3500

Pirelli Cinturato P7 plus- highly recommended
I also have these and have been very happy except for the fast wear. I believe with an AWD it is not uncommon, also I do at least 1/2 or more around town driving which wears tires more quickly. These tires are very quiet and handle very well.