GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

General Window Tint Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-18, 04:17 AM
Broncosi
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default General Window Tint Question

Got my windows done at 35% and afterwards, each black door panel (leather parts and vinyl parts) are splotchy and seem to have a dried liquid that ran on them and will not clean off. Any time I ever tinted windows, it was always soapy water in the spray bottles. Two questions, do window tinters these day use something different? and How do I clean that off? It's been like that for a week now.

Thanks!
Old 07-11-18, 07:21 AM
tghw
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

Take it back to whomever did it and make them clean it off. It's their mess and if they can't get it off they are responsible for repairing your door panels,
Old 07-11-18, 04:37 PM
Broncosi
Intermediate

I'm trying to not start a war here. There are other issues with the job. I don't like being a mean person but I feel like they need to know the mistakes they made. This shop has a good rep on Google/Yelp etc. but I feel as though their clients don't know these things I'm complaining about are happening or caused by the actual tint job.

my two other main gripes are:
1) They had to strip the rear window of tint before re-applying. They left a decent amount of glue on the inside c-pillars and back shelf.

2) Every. Single. Window. had streaks in the same place when I rolled it down and back up. I asked about this after the job and he said it wasn't them. It was something else. I popped each door panel off one by one and found that the second, inner window seal was 'tucked' down in several areas. It was basically bent to hell causing the streaks on the windows. My complaint is, if they are 'tucking' tint below sills rather than taking the panel off... don't. That's the wrong way to do it. If they are taking the door panel off, and they saw the sill like that... fix it?! Why take the extra effort to leave it jammed and bent down?

I guess I'm not sure the most productive way to approach this other than send the owner an email stating the facts and giving him the option of (a) I will delete my Google review OR (b) I will update the review to 2/5 stars and state the facts there. My concern/expectation is he refuses to admit any of this was his fault and doesn't help fix any of it that is still an issue (glue and splotchy panels). I don't have the time or energy to take any legal type action.

Old 07-11-18, 07:28 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Really ****ty shop. I would contact the and let him know respectfully that his/her ppl did a very sloppy job and would hope based on their reputation that they will make it right. Give them a chance before you threaten or take other actions.If they deny immediately like they have already done change your review and open up a case with the BBB. This will more than likely get their attention.
Old 07-11-18, 10:08 PM
tghw
Intermediate

You actually paid them after they did that to your car?
Old 07-12-18, 05:31 AM
Broncosi
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tghw
You actually paid them after they did that to your car?
Everything with the tint looks great! How would I know that a few weeks later the panels would begin to discolor? The window sills is also I don't see until I roll them up and down a few times and with the door panel on, the second door sill is not visible at all.

Is there any way to 'lubricate' that second sill to ensure it doesn't fold down when the window goes down and get stuck that way?
Old 07-12-18, 08:16 AM
PC94
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As everyone said, I would take it back to them and make them correct their mistake. That is completely unacceptable, ESPECIALLY with the prices tint shops charge.

Second, a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser works wonders on a multitude of surfaces. If you don't want to wait for resolution, spray some water or interior cleaner on the Magic Eraser and gently wipe the residue on the interior trim panels.
Old 07-12-18, 08:31 AM
Broncosi
Intermediate

Well it not so much residue as it is now faded like whatever go tin there, dried out the panel making it much lighter.

The window sills seem to now get tucked down every time I roll the window down. Is there something I can lubricate these with to prevent that?
Old 07-12-18, 10:27 AM
PC94
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not sure there is anything you can lubricate it with, but have you tried cleaning the sills and the rubber pieces inside of them? You should be able to use a light-duty interior cleaner (like Girot's Garage).
Old 07-12-18, 10:58 AM
tghw
Intermediate

Silicone spray like that used to keep weather-stripping pliable would probably help.
Old 07-12-18, 03:47 PM
Broncosi
Intermediate

I've got some spray that's RV care window and track dry lube. I may coat them in that. It's like the window grips them now every time and they pull the inner/lower sill down and tuck it back to those first pictures each time I roll them down so there are streaks when I roll it back up. I'll give that a shot.