GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Correct way to rotate continental DWS 06 tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-18, 03:11 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Correct way to rotate continental DWS 06 tires

Hey guys, I have approximately 20,000 miles on these tires. I rotated them at 10,000 miles and then just recently again at 20,000 miles. I didn't notice anything strange after the first rotation however after the second rotation there's definitely a difference in the way the car rides in the way the tires sound. They are much LOUDER.

Given that these are not directional tires, is there any specific way that the tire should be rotated, as in back to front or side to side? I had both rotations done at the dealership but I did not specify how the tires should be rotated. I assume that they would know.
Old 07-25-18, 12:07 AM
tghw
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

Front to back.
Old 07-25-18, 05:18 AM
e-man
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tghw
Front to back.
If they criss-crossed them as opposed to going straight front to back, do you think that could explain the increased noise?
Old 07-25-18, 06:09 AM
gr8fulRed
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i've had my tires rotated front to back/back to front AND fronts criss-crossed to the back and backs straight up to the fronts over the years (with various cars) and never noticed a difference in sound either way. First off, you should be rotating every 5k miles, not 10k. Secondly, depending on the tires tread life expectancy, when a tire is nearing it's last 10k miles of life or so....they usually become stiffer riding and cause more road noise. This is MY experience over the years. I bet more frequent rotations would help. It's possible you have a suspension component failing at one corner which is causing a slight effect on the actual tires tread (slight cupping, etc), and once it moves to a new location it's causing road noise and if its now on the front...it may make the steering feel a slight bit different. I've had that happen in the past with another car.
The following users liked this post:
keejay7 (01-12-20)
Old 07-25-18, 09:10 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Which DWS tires? some of the continentals are pretty loud after they're worn out, like gr8fulred has said.

You might not have noticed the noise because it might have been in the back (with less weighted load), but when you put more pressure on it, in the front, it might be a little noisier.

Also, depending on the model of your tires, you can have either DIRECTIONAL (will say rotation---> [with an arrow]), or ASSYMETRICAL (where your tires say OUTSIDE or INSIDE).

Make sure all tires are marked outside (if it is non directional), if your tire has that option.

Or make sure all tires are marked "ROTATION" with the arrow pointed towards the front of the car.

Most definitely, if a tire rotation is done wrong, it WILL make a lot more noise, a lot more noticable than before.
Old 07-25-18, 03:59 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

I have the DWS06, which are assymetrical. So assuming all fires were mounted correctly 20k miles ago, they are all facing out and it shouldn't matter which way they're rotated, right?

Maybe I didn't rotate them enough but all of my miles are highway miles so I don't think it matters that much. My last set of tires (Pilot Sport A/S Plus) lasted 65k miles and I think I rotated them twice throughout their life.
Old 07-25-18, 05:10 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 786 Likes on 679 Posts

My old DWS wore like garbage! I was so happy when I switched to michelin. Also make sure you may have bad bushings like what I had from poor roads.
Old 07-28-18, 02:31 AM
TS85
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’ll never buy continental DW again, it was so loud and it made a weird humming noise. That noise went away after I “flipped” my tires due to camber wear, then it came back again. Started to think it was something else other than the tires. But after i wore out the tires, switched to Michelin’s and then to hankooks and never had that weird noise again.
Old 07-28-18, 10:09 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Originally Posted by e-man
I have the DWS06, which are assymetrical. So assuming all fires were mounted correctly 20k miles ago, they are all facing out and it shouldn't matter which way they're rotated, right?

Maybe I didn't rotate them enough but all of my miles are highway miles so I don't think it matters that much. My last set of tires (Pilot Sport A/S Plus) lasted 65k miles and I think I rotated them twice throughout their life.
Your Extremecontact DWS06's are prone to road noise... With that aside though, you said when they did the tire rotation, it started to make road noise... was this immediately after? Or after a while of driving?

FWIW, for other members, I've had my Conti PureContact DWS for quite a while now (@ 90k, i'm on 130-135k rn, with 5k in between that i put miles on some 20s I had), so essentially 30k miles with absolutely no problems. Car has performed flawlessly, with little to no road noise (I can't even tell anymore since I drive with straight pipes now). I'm down to D,W, and about a few thousand miles of of S left, so I'm pretty sure I'm pretty far away from changing my tire.

My fiance's camry has worn a lot faster than I expected however. Her rears are worn down to the D indicator in the rear and D&W still exist in the front. I already purchased her a new set of tires though, the Conti true contacts. on HER vehicle... Even the rears make ZERO road noise. You wouldn't even know the tires were worn unless you stuck your hand back there and checked. Luckily I do a seasonal check every time I see discount tire have their tire sale (I think it was $300 for 4 continental tires). Then again, there are different factors, as she drives a VERY large sidewalled tire (215/60/16). She also neglects her tire rotations A LOT (which I yell at her a lot for, and i barely do myself... I've done a total of TWO tire rotations in the 30k miles i've driven.... and she's done maybe 3)

I can't complain about continental, as I've had nothing but good experiences with them. Even with my car driving lower than stock (bagged), The tire wear rate is phenomenal in my eyes.
Old 07-29-18, 11:04 AM
e-man
Lead Lap

I noticed the increased noise as soon as I left the dealership. It definitely has something to do with the rotation.
Old 07-29-18, 01:40 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 786 Likes on 679 Posts

Take a picture of the treadwear for us, you can also run your hands across the tread. If you have any chopping on the tire, meanings high and low spots that will create little pockets of air thus creating the noise tire.

Is this a rwd or awd? If its a rwd you can simply do a burnout and that will help level out the tires. Also if you mount the front to the rear and do the same. That can be your fix, if they are choppy!
Old 07-29-18, 09:57 PM
tghw
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by e-man
I noticed the increased noise as soon as I left the dealership. It definitely has something to do with the rotation.
You should have turned right around and drove back to the dealership and complained about.
Old 07-31-18, 11:00 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Originally Posted by tghw
You should have turned right around and drove back to the dealership and complained about.
just about exactly what I would have done

I paid them, I'd expect the same smooth ride leaving the dealership, the way it came in.
Old 01-12-20, 08:05 PM
keejay7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have the same isssue.

Hi. I have the same issue with my car after rotation. Im just asking how u fix it ? Thankss