GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

06 gs300 wont start!!! Please HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-18, 12:40 AM
Joeyc850
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 gs300 wont start!!! Please HELP!!

Ok, so ive been doing alot of driving recently(making deliveries ive been turning car on/off a lot) and today I noticed that when I went to start my car it wasn't as peppy of a start as normal. Thought nothing of it. I parked the car and came back about 10 min later and the car started just as normal. Now, driving for about 5 minutes I turned the car off again and when i came back to it, it would not start. No crank no click not turning over. Nothing. Just dash lights. Its as if I didnt have my foot on the brake. So naturally I checked connections I could see/ reach and everything looked good. Tried to start again and still nothing. So I went back under the hood after about 5-10 minutes of contemplating bashing my face into the steering wheel. I then just started hammering fuzes and relays with my fist and wiggling more wires. The car then decided to start perfectly. So I drove it back home and turned it off, tried to turn it back on to see if the problem was gone and still wouldnt turn on. So I went into the house looking for something to break and got online to see what the issue could be while the devil kept screamin "its the Starter" in the back of my head. Anyways about 30-45 minutes go by and I decide I'm gonna bypass the relay to see if that works. Walked to the car and tbought id check it out. Car started up 4 times in a row, I then was curious and decided to pull the starter relay and it looked good, put it back in and tried to start it again and nothing. Again.
I was reading that it could be the relay, starter, ignition switch,weak battery, connections, or some sort of anti theft system on the car. Which the anti theft is interesting to be because I did have a homeless person come up to my car while I was in a convienant store and as I was walking to it i noticed him looking inside the windows and all sorts of **** so i wonder if maybe be tried to break in and that triggered something? but that was the night before this issue ever happened and it's intermittent it seems so I'm not getting it....I need this car back running asap, please help.

battery connections are tight
tried bypassing the relay but nothing happened (also not sure what terminals im supposed to jump)
diaconnected battery for 10 minutes
Old 07-29-18, 12:48 AM
Joeyc850
Driver School Candidate

Also forgot to mention that my push button doesnr look aesthetically pleasing but it does have a green light when foot is on the brake and it will turn the accessories on
Old 07-29-18, 01:06 AM
isfvss
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts

Your battery's ***** the " homeless man took all your volts and bolted" have you got volt meter, check your charging rate if not get, borrow a battery good luck...….
Old 07-29-18, 02:36 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 779 Likes on 672 Posts

Check the battery in the key fob, next time you have a starting issue with the key fob in hand push start the button with the key fob. This is a fail safe for when the battery dies on the key fob it automatically overrides it. If it starts the car then know you need to replace the key fob battery or the connection is corroded inside.

Also when you said you checked the battery connections, did you unbolt that top bolt clean and sanded the terminals? If not try it! If you have high miles it could be the starter, you can remove and replace the internal bushings those are pretty cheap like $20 bucks.
Old 07-29-18, 10:05 AM
Joeyc850
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ibidu1
Check the battery in the key fob, next time you have a starting issue with the key fob in hand push start the button with the key fob. This is a fail safe for when the battery dies on the key fob it automatically overrides it. If it starts the car then know you need to replace the key fob battery or the connection is corroded inside.

Also when you said you checked the battery connections, did you unbolt that top bolt clean and sanded the terminals? If not try it! If you have high miles it could be the starter, you can remove and replace the internal bushings those are pretty cheap like $20 bucks.
ive had a a dead battery in the key fob before and this isnt the issue, I can use the key fob perfectly. And it doest come up "key not detected" I unbolted the negative to try to reset my ecu in case it was some anti theft feature and it doesnt look corroded or anything. if its the starter its going to have to go to a shop, ive heard horror stories of what you have to do to change that starter out. Ill check the battery more but it doesnt seem to be the issue as everything else works perfectly

Last edited by Joeyc850; 07-29-18 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-29-18, 01:52 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 779 Likes on 672 Posts

I am most likey willing to bet its the starter! See where it is located and when the car acts up again see if you can get a rod and hammer and tap on the starter see if that may change something.

Many shops will not tear apart a starter to rebuild it for you. You can buy a used starter from say a newer model gs or is like 2006-2015 for maybe 50-$100 bucks in your area. A lot better then spending big bucks on an aftermarket.

car-part.com is a good search engine to find a used starter in your area.
Old 07-31-18, 09:46 PM
guzzy92fs
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

My bet goes to a bad keyfob battery, second bet starter is starting to fail. You mentioned your button is not looking that good, what do you mean? can you share a pic? probably the issue could be as rare and unique as a faulty start/stop button?