GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS460 Parking Assist Stuck?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-18, 01:03 AM
zokustyle
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GS460 Parking Assist Stuck?

I'm the new owner of an '08 GS460. Yesterday I pulled the EFI and ETCS fuses to reset the ECU and ETCS. Everything worked perfectly for the last 24 hours. Today, without anything out of the ordinary, it developed an issue with the front parking sensors. Whenever I'm doing <6 mph the front parking assist displays one bar in the center and beeps solid. No check or malfunction messages. Corner sensors work just fine. It acts exactly like this:

I've cleaned all four sensors on the outside with no success. There's not been a steering calibration message present but I've done the lock-to-lock and drive straight for five minutes procedure like the manual says. I'm not convinced the fuse reset has anything to do with this but it's a little odd that one came after the other. The only thing that is pointing toward some sort of possibility is that there's a rock chip on one of the center sensors that I can't confirm whether is new or was existing.

At $200+ each, I'd rather not play a guess and check game with sensors. Anyone else dealt with similar or have ideas? Any help is appreciated!
Old 08-06-18, 01:39 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 776 Likes on 669 Posts

I have the same issue with mine, you can find out which one is bad by tapping on it untill it clicks back online. Its either one of the 2 middle front sensors. You can buy used sensors on ebay and they even make aftermarket ones. Just make sure you get the same color so you dont take it to get it painted.
Old 08-06-18, 01:40 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 470 Likes on 292 Posts

1. Clean the sensors with alcohol
2. Check your front number plate if you have any. Is it protruding outwards from teh bumper?
3. Could be a faulty sensor.
4. Why did you pull out the fuses to reset ECU in the first place?
Old 08-06-18, 10:30 AM
zokustyle
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There’s no front plate at all right now, so no obstructions. I’ll try cleaning once more with alcohol but I’m leaning toward a bad sensor. Next step is to swap sensors around and see if the fault follows one.

Originally Posted by designo
4. Why did you pull out the fuses to reset ECU in the first place?
The car had lazy throttle response and didn’t have much confidence in shifting. I wanted a fresh start to re-train the ECU and ETCS without having to reset windows, sunroof, radio, etc ala pulling battery. This task worked great, the car feels a lot better now. The parking sensor issue didn’t come on immediately or even within a few hours of this so I’m thinking this may just be a coincidence.
The following users liked this post:
designo (08-08-18)
Old 08-08-18, 06:11 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

My 460's just started acting up last week as well. Exact same issue. Cleaned with alcohol, disconnected the battery for 10 min, you name it. Probably going to have to go down the route of replacing it. From what I'm seeing, they're pretty cheap online, so I might just do them all while I've got the front bumper off, that way I shouldn't have to do it again.
The following users liked this post:
designo (08-08-18)
Old 01-31-19, 02:51 PM
illjuan3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any updates my 07 350 just started this last night. It was also the first time I took my car through a ride through the car was that wasn't touchless. Could have been beaten to death by the wash.

I just banged on the front two with my palm and boom they work again!

Last edited by illjuan3; 02-01-19 at 10:57 AM. Reason: FIXED
Old 03-23-21, 06:32 AM
Roccopip
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by zokustyle
i'm the new owner of an '08 gs460. Yesterday i pulled the efi and etcs fuses to reset the ecu and etcs. Everything worked perfectly for the last 24 hours. Today, without anything out of the ordinary, it developed an issue with the front parking sensors. Whenever i'm doing <6 mph the front parking assist displays one bar in the center and beeps solid. No check or malfunction messages. Corner sensors work just fine. It acts exactly like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpz2btqxerk

i've cleaned all four sensors on the outside with no success. There's not been a steering calibration message present but i've done the lock-to-lock and drive straight for five minutes procedure like the manual says. I'm not convinced the fuse reset has anything to do with this but it's a little odd that one came after the other. The only thing that is pointing toward some sort of possibility is that there's a rock chip on one of the center sensors that i can't confirm whether is new or was existing.

At $200+ each, i'd rather not play a guess and check game with sensors. Anyone else dealt with similar or have ideas? Any help is appreciated!

hi

did you ever get a fix for this,having the exact same issue on my is300h. Any help kindly welcome.

Shane
Old 03-23-21, 09:49 PM
CowBoE
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

With the car started, try to move some object in and out on front of sensors and see if it's triggers parking sensor signals differently.
If you thoroughly cleaned the sensors from outside, I'm just guessing if some dirt or pebble got wedged around the parking sensor inside the bumper,
including connector area.

It might be worth it remove and clean them thoroughly, including connector points.

Old 03-23-21, 10:09 PM
Roccopip
Driver School Candidate

I will have a go at that tomorrow. Thanks for the reply.

ROCCO
Old 03-24-21, 08:31 AM
CowBoE
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Roccopip
I will have a go at that tomorrow. Thanks for the reply.
ROCCO
I just removed the front bumper to work on the headlight ballast.
In fact, it's still sitting removed at the moment because I'm busy on weekdays with the day job.
If you are going to tackle this, here is a "how to remove front bumper" video I just made.

Report back on what you find. I have a hunch it's not a broken sensor, but rather
something is dirty and needs cleaning.
Old 03-24-21, 10:22 AM
Roccopip
Driver School Candidate

Thanks very much. Did try all the cleaning of sensors today without success. Measured resistance on the two front centre parking sensors and resistance was the same for both, highly unlikely the 2 went together. Will have a look at video hopefully will help in my efforts to solve problem once and for all.
Old 03-24-21, 12:07 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 776 Likes on 669 Posts

Thanks very much. Did try all the cleaning of sensors today without success. Measured resistance on the two front centre parking sensors and resistance was the same for both, highly unlikely the 2 went together. Will have a look at video hopefully will help in my efforts to solve problem once and for all.
Have someone put the car in drive, with the sensors on. Tap on one of the middle sensors, and then stand back, if the sensor doesnt fix itself, do the same for the next sensor. Sometimes tapping on them fixes them. This will tell you which sensor is giving you the issues. There are china sensors, I would avoid them. Buy used oem or new, you can also experiment with the bad sensor, open it up and see maybe its corrosion on the circuit board.
Old 03-24-21, 12:18 PM
Roccopip
Driver School Candidate

Thanks . Will try that tomorrow before taking off the bumper, hopefully will save me a lot of time and fix the problem.
Old 03-27-21, 09:44 AM
CowBoE
Pit Crew

Thanks . Will try that tomorrow before taking off the bumper, hopefully will save me a lot of time and fix the problem.
Just thought of something.

Have someone sit in the running car and record the dash lights,
and then walk up close to each of the sensors and then move back out,
and see how each parking sensors behave.
Old 03-31-21, 10:37 AM
Roccopip
Driver School Candidate

Folks

Just a quick update on front parking sensor alarm coming on when driving at 10 mph.

Problem has suddenly fixed itself. The only thing I can come to explain for the fix was maybe there was some moisture in them and after spraying some WD 40 on them and giving them a good clean ,it properly just took that Bit longer for the moisture to be removed.
no issue now so all good

Quick Reply: GS460 Parking Assist Stuck?