GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

School me on 3rd gen GS's

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-18, 12:16 PM
Aprilia
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default School me on 3rd gen GS's

I'm contemplating a Lexus sedan. I want something more fun than an ES and not as Big as a LS. I did a search here, but if there's some good threads gimme a link plz.

I'm leaning towards the V8, b/c who doesn't need more power and to hell with MPG's.

Wikipedia says that there was a slight re-fresh around 2007, and the GS430 was made for a while longer then the GS460 came along.

Any issues with any model years? Any things to stay away from? Is the 460 engine (342 hp/339tq) worth the premium over the 430 (300 to 290hp and 319 lb), is there a night and day difference or are they pretty much the same?

Is it correct that the V6 makes 303hp with 274 lb while the 430 makes 290/300? Weird no?

How intrusive is the VDIM? Can you turn it OFF or just a lower setting? Can you do burnouts? Do they come with a limited slip diff?

If you were looking at an older GS, around 100k miles, which one would you choose.

Can you get a camping cooler into the trunk? weird question, but the internets commented on the small trunk opening?

Thx in advance.
Old 08-28-18, 07:03 AM
Pal18
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Aprilia
I'm contemplating a Lexus sedan. I want something more fun than an ES and not as Big as a LS. I did a search here, but if there's some good threads gimme a link plz.

I'm leaning towards the V8, b/c who doesn't need more power and to hell with MPG's.

Wikipedia says that there was a slight re-fresh around 2007, and the GS430 was made for a while longer then the GS460 came along.

Any issues with any model years? Any things to stay away from? Is the 460 engine (342 hp/339tq) worth the premium over the 430 (300 to 290hp and 319 lb), is there a night and day difference or are they pretty much the same?

Is it correct that the V6 makes 303hp with 274 lb while the 430 makes 290/300? Weird no?

How intrusive is the VDIM? Can you turn it OFF or just a lower setting? Can you do burnouts? Do they come with a limited slip diff?

If you were looking at an older GS, around 100k miles, which one would you choose.

Can you get a camping cooler into the trunk? weird question, but the internets commented on the small trunk opening?

Thx in advance.
Hi!

As far as I know, the 3rd gen GS is a very reliable car no matter the engine you choose. I just acquired one (2008 GS460) about a month ago. The car had all the recalls and maintenance done at proper time. The result is a car with 123k miles that drives like it has only 20k. The only problem I have with it is that it doesn't pull quite as hard as it should. I'm still trying to figure out what is the issue (I've made a thread about it). Other than that, zero problem. Everything just works. The car is quiet, No rattle. Very comfortable.

Since my car with its power problem probably pulls about the same as a GS300, I can't speak of any difference between the GS430 and GS460 regarding performance. Looking at the specs and some youtube videos, the GS460 appears to have the advantage but it doesn't looks like it's night and day difference. Other than that, I know the GS430 engine has a timing belt while the GS460 has a timing chain. I know the GS460 has more features overall and had the 2008 facelift obviously.

Regarding the V6, i'd say it's simply engine technology progressing as time moves on. You have to understand that the engine inside the GS430 is much older compared to the V6 that just came out around that time. One has more HP, the other has more torque. I'd be interested to see a drag race between both.

The VDIM is intrusive if you're spirit driving hard. It's not on daily driving. You can 2 step turn it off. Pressing the button will deactivate TRAC. Holding the button for 3 seconds while stopped will deactivate VSC. You can burnout, no problem. GS460 has standard active suspension. You can make the suspension stiffer at the press of a button. Works well enough. I do not know regarding limited slip differential.

Weird question, but I can answer it since I had to do it last weekend. I was able to put a camping cooler in the trunk, despite the small opening. I had no problem. In the end, it depends how big your cooler is. I consider mine a good size, but not the biggest of them all.

I would recommend my car, the GS460. I have no doubt the GS300/430/460 are just as reliable and good to drive. Just note that no car is perfect. Every model had some issues. Make sure the one you are looking for has been properly maintained with the recalls done.

This is my take. Hope it answers some of your questions

Last edited by Pal18; 08-28-18 at 07:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Aprilia (08-28-18)
Old 08-28-18, 03:02 PM
cloud777x
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's my take. If you want something rare go for a GS460. There is only so much made.

I have a '08 GS350 and I am an aggressive driver. The car has a lot of body roll stock if you are tackling turns. With all the overpriced FSPORT upgrades sharp turns are more smoother. Off the line the car will lose to an IS350 because the differential in the IS is different. Does that mean the GS350 has more top end since it does have as much acceleration than an IS? Maybe? The GS350 has some go, but an IS350 will push you back against the seat harder. The GS350 has more room for sure especially legroom. I still love the styling of the GS over the IS any day. The IS is more sport oriented than the GS due to the cosmetics, performance add-ons, the sportier differential, and paddle shifters. There are less GS's out there so you will have one of those cars that are not commonly on the street. I know the front brake calipers on the GS is bigger than the IS250, not sure if the IS350 has the same.

AWD GS's have limited aftermarket upgrades available. FYI

Hope this helps you as well.
'06-07 GS's have a different face look than '08. The '08 also has the front and rear lip molded into the bumper whereas the 06-07 is two piece and painted black.

2010 and up GS's has the Lexus Enform which has the ability to hook up IPOD or bluetooth audio streaming through the infotainment system. Infotainment look and feel, '06-07
should have same software version, '08-09 new software version (looks better), '10 and up has Lexus Enform.

The water pump on my GS350 sucks, leaked around 60k miles.

Trunk opening is horrible compared to its competitors.
Old 08-28-18, 03:23 PM
MedicalDoc
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

2nd gen gs430 with low miles are the best choice, imo.
Old 08-28-18, 06:10 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

2006 GS430 wirh 162k miles. Second owner, purchased CPO in 2012 at 50k miles. Most reliable car Ive ever owned. I drove 2 GS460s before buying my 430. In my opinion, from purely a performance perspective, there was not a ton of difference (i believe 0-60 times are 5.3 for the 460 and 5.8 or 5.9 for the 430). I will say this. The 460 has a noticeably nicer nav screen. And it is true, the 460 has a timing chain that never needs to be changed as opposed to the timing belt on the 430. That said, the 430 is built like a tank and the engine is bulletproof. I'm sure the 460 engine is reliable as well, but the 430 engine has definitely stood the test of time. It's basically the same engine that was in the 2001-2005 second gen GS's.
Old 08-28-18, 06:41 PM
MX73
Racer

Received 292 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by cloud777x

2010 and up GS's has the Lexus Enform which has the ability to hook up IPOD or bluetooth audio streaming through the infotainment system.
That's not what Enform is. Enform is a service such as Telematics, Destination assist, SOS, Vehicle location, etc.

https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrive...%20GS%20%20350

I'm not aware that the 2010-2011 has the Lexus Enform App Suite. If so, the Lexus Enform App suite is built in Apps on nav equipped vehicle that stream your phone's data via Bluetooth, not the same as Bluetoothh audio streaming.

Last edited by MX73; 08-28-18 at 06:45 PM.
Old 08-29-18, 11:34 AM
XxGoKoUxX
Forum Moderator

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by e-man
2006 GS430 wirh 162k miles. Second owner, purchased CPO in 2012 at 50k miles. Most reliable car Ive ever owned. I drove 2 GS460s before buying my 430. In my opinion, from purely a performance perspective, there was not a ton of difference (i believe 0-60 times are 5.3 for the 460 and 5.8 or 5.9 for the 430). I will say this. The 460 has a noticeably nicer nav screen. And it is true, the 460 has a timing chain that never needs to be changed as opposed to the timing belt on the 430. That said, the 430 is built like a tank and the engine is bulletproof. I'm sure the 460 engine is reliable as well, but the 430 engine has definitely stood the test of time. It's basically the same engine that was in the 2001-2005 second gen GS's.
Couldn't have said it better. Pretty much the only thing I have done (maintanence-wise) is a timing belt change on my vehicle, rear diff fluid change, and transmission flush.

I'm also in the process of doing a valve cover gasket, as it's worn enough to cause a itty bitty oil leak (unnoticable until I pretty much stuck my face into the engine bay area while doing a alternator swap).

At ~130k miles, I've abused the car a lot more than I should have (with air suspension, and doing a bit more spirited driving in the past 1-2 years now, modifying exhaust system, the list goes on and on...), the car's held up VERY VERY well, and been extremely reliable to me.

Although people have poked fun at me about retiring the GS, I don't see it happening anytime in the future.... This car will probably outlive the next car I plan to obtain in the future
Old 08-29-18, 11:45 AM
e-man
Lead Lap

Ha, same here, people poke fun at me all the time for driving such an "old" car. I love showing my kids' friends the tape deck because they have no idea what it is.

I know I flushed the radiator and have flushed the brake lines several times, but I don't think I've ever changed the diff or trans fluid. Is that something I should do? I've also never changed the spark plugs, but the car is running better than ever and the mileage is great so my attitude is why mess with it. Sorry to thread jack.

Anyway, back on topic, I love my 430 and will drive it to 500k miles if she'll have me.
The following users liked this post:
Aprilia (08-30-18)
Old 08-29-18, 01:38 PM
MedicalDoc
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by e-man
Ha, same here, people poke fun at me all the time for driving such an "old" car. I love showing my kids' friends the tape deck because they have no idea what it is.

I know I flushed the radiator and have flushed the brake lines several times, but I don't think I've ever changed the diff or trans fluid. Is that something I should do? I've also never changed the spark plugs, but the car is running better than ever and the mileage is great so my attitude is why mess with it. Sorry to thread jack.

Anyway, back on topic, I love my 430 and will drive it to 500k miles if she'll have me.
Yes you should. as well as the power steering fluid.
Old 08-29-18, 08:40 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MedicalDoc
Yes you should. as well as the power steering fluid.
My mistake. I just checked my invoices. I changed the diff and trans fluid at 90k. I never changed the power steering fluid and I know the plugs are original. I'll add that to the list.
Old 08-30-18, 01:04 AM
Lead Lap

Received 794 Likes on 539 Posts

I have the 2010 Gs460. Currently 60k miles.
Has the enform system and blutooth and iPod steaming - works well. Not one issue with blutooth pairing and can skip songs etc with steering wheel control. That’s the best bit over pre 2010 GS’s.
Old 08-30-18, 02:16 PM
Aprilia
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey thanks for the input everyone.

Btw, how does the whole "thanks" thing work on the lexus forum? I see under the avatar/pic there are numbers for "thanks" and "thanked". Do you get a prize if you hit a certain number? How does that work?

Back to the GS. For the life of me I can't see a difference aesthetically btwn an 06 and the 09 models. Am I missing something or is it just very, very subtle changes, thanks to wikipedia "the GS lineup received a mid-cycle styling refresh, including a revised front bumper, headlights and grille, turn signals added to the side mirrors, and new wheel options and exterior colors. The interior received a redesigned steering wheel, revised instrument cluster gauges, and different trim pieces."

Also what other sedans from that era should I be cross shopping? I'm looking for low cost of ownership, reliable and fun. I know that's a hard combo. Are Infiniti's reliable? Too bad Honda doesn't have a dog in the fight.

I look for reviews/comparisons dating back to the gs430 but got zilch so far. Any ideas?

Thx...
Old 08-30-18, 04:37 PM
MX73
Racer

Received 292 Likes on 226 Posts

Front bumper between the 06-07 and the 08-11 are different. Bigger chrome trim surrounds the grille and a redesign lower grille. Turn signal built into the outside rear mirrors and color key rear bumper "spoiler." The body trim between the high beam and low beam light extends out and somewhat blends in with the bumper.

The interior is a bit more subtle. The font for every label did change, new steering wheel design, metal trim on seat back cushions, and the gear shift trim is now a metal look instead of a black plastic trim. There's a thread in the sticky that shows all the differences.
Old 09-01-18, 01:28 AM
petershen
Pit Crew

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Aprilia
Hey thanks for the input everyone.

Btw, how does the whole "thanks" thing work on the lexus forum? I see under the avatar/pic there are numbers for "thanks" and "thanked". Do you get a prize if you hit a certain number? How does that work?

Back to the GS. For the life of me I can't see a difference aesthetically btwn an 06 and the 09 models. Am I missing something or is it just very, very subtle changes, thanks to wikipedia "the GS lineup received a mid-cycle styling refresh, including a revised front bumper, headlights and grille, turn signals added to the side mirrors, and new wheel options and exterior colors. The interior received a redesigned steering wheel, revised instrument cluster gauges, and different trim pieces."

Also what other sedans from that era should I be cross shopping? I'm looking for low cost of ownership, reliable and fun. I know that's a hard combo. Are Infiniti's reliable? Too bad Honda doesn't have a dog in the fight.

I look for reviews/comparisons dating back to the gs430 but got zilch so far. Any ideas?

Thx...
This thread has all you need to know about the mid cycle refresh -> https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...fferences.html

I have a 2010 GS450h which replaced an M3 of the same year. The 3GS is a wonderful car, in many respects a much better-built car compared to the 4th generation, and light years ahead of my wife's X5 in terms of build quality. I love the obsessive detailing like that brushed metal analogue gauges etc. The 3GS 450h is much faster than the 4GS version, but since you're interested in a V8 I'll let the other owners chime in on that.