GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Moonroof sprung a leak -- replace weatherstripping?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-18, 08:36 AM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Moonroof sprung a leak -- replace weatherstripping?

Hey guys. I just realized today that my moonroof is leaking. What's the best way to take care of this? Is it possible to replace the weatherstripping? Condition it? I tried searching but didn't find anything definitive. Thanks.
Old 09-02-18, 08:55 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by e-man
Hey guys. I just realized today that my moonroof is leaking. What's the best way to take care of this? Is it possible to replace the weatherstripping? Condition it? I tried searching but didn't find anything definitive. Thanks.
First thing first, checked the drain?
Old 09-02-18, 09:09 AM
e-man
Pole Position

Going to check that now. Thank you.
Old 09-02-18, 09:16 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 770 Likes on 664 Posts

Just pour water on the sides of the sunroof, if the water doesnt flow then know that you have blockage in your drains. Running water also helps clean them out. If you do have stubborn blockage you can probably use a thin electrical wire and snake it down the tubes. Or maybe compressed air
Old 09-02-18, 09:40 AM
e-man
Pole Position

OK, I just checked. All four drain tubes are clear. The water pours straight through them. What's strange is that I only have the problem when the sunshade is closed. The water tends to accumulate on the front lip of the sunshade. Is it possible that the sunshade extends too far forward and prevents the water from reaching the channel in the front?
Old 09-02-18, 10:21 AM
Broncosi
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Condition it? I tried searching but didn't find anything definitive. Thanks.
Same thing is happening to me. I found a few threads recommending Shin Etsu grease to condition/restore the rubber and it 'plumps' it up to seal better. My sunroof isn't leaking bad so I expect this may work. I applied it yesterday and now just waiting for a rainy day so I'll keep you posted.
Old 09-02-18, 10:25 AM
e-man
Pole Position

Where do you get Shin Etsu grease? Also, assuming the drain tubes do their job, then it would seem that it's okay for water to get past the seal, right? The only time I see water is when the sun shade is closed. Otherwise, I believe the water is going though the channel and out through the drain tubes.
Old 09-02-18, 10:34 AM
Broncosi
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You can buy it on Amazon for $17 or give your local Honda dealer a call. I picked some up at Honda for $19 in their parts department.

Mini-DIY: Door/Window Restore with Shin Etsu
Old 09-02-18, 10:35 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

I think maybe when you poured water it opened up the clogs quickly. Try this close the sunroof and have a water hose pour water on the seal and see if it still leaks. Even if the sunroof seals were bad the water should run off the drains.
Old 09-02-18, 11:22 AM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ibidu1
I think maybe when you poured water it opened up the clogs quickly. Try this close the sunroof and have a water hose pour water on the seal and see if it still leaks. Even if the sunroof seals were bad the water should run off the drains.
i don't think so and here's why. When I felt the water collecting on the underside of the lip on the front of the sunshade, the front channel was completely dry. Like I said, it's almost as if the sunshade, when closed, is catching the water in it and not allowing it to reach the channel and drain out. I've never had any water dripping in my car with the sunshade open.
Old 09-02-18, 11:28 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

i don't think so and here's why. When I felt the water collecting on the underside of the lip on the front of the sunshade, the front channel was completely dry. Like I said, it's almost as if the sunshade, when closed, is catching the water in it and not allowing it to reach the channel and drain out. I've never had any water dripping in my car with the sunshade open.
Was it a lot of water? Do you think it could be condensation from the glass, therefore dripping on the sunshade panel.

Old 09-02-18, 11:31 AM
nikoalbert
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sun roof

i have a lexus myself and never had a problem with the sunroof. try replacing the seal around the sunroof!!
Old 09-02-18, 11:35 AM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ibidu1
Was it a lot of water? Do you think it could be condensation from the glass, therefore dripping on the sunshade panel.
It was enough water that it dripped out when I started driving. I'd say that little channel/lip on the underside of the sunshade was 1/4 full. No condensation on the inside of the car. It was definitely water coming in from the outside.

If my theory is correct, it's one of those things that I would never have noticed unless I closed the sunshade. With the sunshade open, any water that gets past the seal would drain out correctly through the drain tubes.
Old 07-17-19, 05:48 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Bumping an old thread. We had a heavy rain in Chicago today and water was dripping in through the plastic trim piece directly above the rear view mirror. Now in fairness, my sunroof shade was partially closed so that may have been the culprit for the reasons described above.

I checked again and the drain tubes are functioning properly. I just can’t figure out why water that is getting past the moonroof seal isn’t channeled directly to the drain tubes and is instead somehow collecting above the plastic piece just above the rear view mirror. Makes no sense.
Old 07-17-19, 07:25 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts

Bumping an old thread. We had a heavy rain in Chicago today and water was dripping in through the plastic trim piece directly above the rear view mirror. Now in fairness, my sunroof shade was partially closed so that may have been the culprit for the reasons described above.

I checked again and the drain tubes are functioning properly. I just can’t figure out why water that is getting past the moonroof seal isn’t channeled directly to the drain tubes and is instead somehow collecting above the plastic piece just above the rear view mirror. Makes no sense.
not sure how similar the setup is, but I used to have a 97 LS 400, and the sunroof drain line came loose from the sunroof drain underneath the headliner, causing the water to run forward on the headliner and drip into the car.