GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Transmission flush recommendation/advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-18, 01:55 PM
350AWD
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Transmission flush recommendation/advice

hello all,
2010 GS350 awd, 67k on the clock. I am loking to do transmission service. I have done the searching and found good info on drain/ fill options fairly easy process. My clallange is time. I don’t mind taking to dealer just want to see what you guys think?

so, I have called Lexus and Toyota dealers:
Lexus said they will drain/fill, no filter replacement for $360. Two Lexus dealers have told me they will not perfome full flush.

Toyota said they will do full hot flush no filter replacement for $315. They said that filter does not need to be replaced, because it’s not a paper filter.

I do not mind having this sevice done at Toyota , sounds like a good deal. Any advice/ recommendations?

Thanks,
Old 10-13-18, 02:16 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I paid my Lexus dealer 340ish for a 12 quart flush at 140k miles on my 2006, that was 20k mile ago, and they did not change the filter. That being said, at 67k, it may be a bit premature, especially since its a 2010. Im surprised they would say no to a flush on a car that new, especially one where the transmission fluid is meant to be "lifelong".

That being said, I think changing the fluid this early on would be a waste of money, especially if they are just doing a drain and fill.
Old 10-14-18, 12:30 PM
350AWD
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 350AWD
hello all,
2010 GS350 awd, 67k on the clock. I am loking to do transmission service. I have done the searching and found good info on drain/ fill options fairly easy process. My clallange is time. I don’t mind taking to dealer just want to see what you guys think?

so, I have called Lexus and Toyota dealers:
Lexus said they will drain/fill, no filter replacement for $360. Two Lexus dealers have told me they will not perfome full flush.

Toyota said they will do full hot flush no filter replacement for $315. They said that filter does not need to be replaced, because it’s not a paper filter.

I do not mind having this sevice done at Toyota , sounds like a good deal. Any advice/ recommendations?

Thanks,
Thanks for the feed back. I am not planning to sell the car any time soon. That’s why I want to do the flush early on so later I can do just drain/fill 30-40k intervals. I wait til 70k and do the flush. Does it matter if that filter is placed or not? It seems some some people have replaced it and other not.
Old 10-15-18, 08:03 AM
93SCMax
Intermediate

Received 102 Likes on 69 Posts

I had the "VPS Transmission Fluid Exchange Service" performed by the local Lexus dealer a year ago. My 2007 GS350 had 99k miles at the time. The total was $235, with $80 being trans fluid. They used a flush machine. Filter was not replaced

My research (on this forum) led me to taking it to the dealer with the flush machine. I also had a quote from the local Toyota dealer, he was higher.

Many owners do it themselves by the "drain and fill over time" method. I just wanted to get it done hence I used the dealer

I agree with RXGS, I think you are a little early for a flush but It's all up to you.
Old 10-15-18, 07:57 PM
350AWD
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 93SCMax
I had the "VPS Transmission Fluid Exchange Service" performed by the local Lexus dealer a year ago. My 2007 GS350 had 99k miles at the time. The total was $235, with $80 being trans fluid. They used a flush machine. Filter was not replaced

My research (on this forum) led me to taking it to the dealer with the flush machine. I also had a quote from the local Toyota dealer, he was higher.

Many owners do it themselves by the "drain and fill over time" method. I just wanted to get it done hence I used the dealer

I agree with RXGS, I think you are a little early for a flush but It's all up to you.
I’ll ask Lexus for the flush again and see what they say. Just trying to get ahead of this service and avoid issues later. I also think that price is resonable. It’s a lot of work to drain and fill over time for a flush.
Thanks for feedback!
Old 10-17-18, 04:49 AM
potatomon
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

to me, ATF Flushes = Danger.

Don't wanna risk dislodging crap into your tranny..

I drained almost 6 liters at once with the front of the car raised up. Filled up 6 bottles of Toyota WS ATF, started the car and entered into tranny fluid temp check, once the indicator shows fluid is at operating temp, shut it off, went and opened the overfill drain bolt.(not the same as the drain bolt) about half a quart of extra fluid came out. Any mechanic can do this as long as you make sure to tell them about the procedure.

I made the mistake and bought toyota atf, it's quite expensive. There are liter bottles of good WS compatible atf for around $6 on rockauto, no need to pay more..and the filter is like $10, just change it out and you can drain more fluid that way too.
Old 10-17-18, 09:46 PM
350AWD
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by potatomon
to me, ATF Flushes = Danger.

Don't wanna risk dislodging crap into your tranny..

I drained almost 6 liters at once with the front of the car raised up. Filled up 6 bottles of Toyota WS ATF, started the car and entered into tranny fluid temp check, once the indicator shows fluid is at operating temp, shut it off, went and opened the overfill drain bolt.(not the same as the drain bolt) about half a quart of extra fluid came out. Any mechanic can do this as long as you make sure to tell them about the procedure.

I made the mistake and bought toyota atf, it's quite expensive. There are liter bottles of good WS compatible atf for around $6 on rockauto, no need to pay more..and the filter is like $10, just change it out and you can drain more fluid that way too.
what did you use to check transmission temperature? And at operating temp. that is between 102 and 120 degrees? Or did you use another way.
Old 10-22-18, 11:41 PM
potatomon
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 350AWD

what did you use to check transmission temperature? And at operating temp. that is between 102 and 120 degrees? Or did you use another way.
yeah for 300 its a decent deal for a dealership but really the price of 12 quarts of ws compatible at fluid is only around $70. Toyota bottle is more like 170

Sorry for late reply, I used the built in tool and did whats written below it was easy enough except the extra fluid didn't come out until I shut the car off, it doesn't mention shutting off but that seemed to work. I put in 6 liters of fluid and drained about 1/2qt of extra.

You can verify temperature by putting a short pin in DLC3, the OBDII data link connector. With your foot on the brake, shift back and forth between “D” and “N” every 1.5 seconds. After 6 seconds, or four or five shifts, the “D” indicator will stay lit for two seconds and then go out, indicating that ATF temperature check mode has been initiated. Put the shifter back in “P,” leave the engine idling, and wait for the “D” indicator to come on again, when temperature reaches 115 °F. Proceed to step two. (NOTE: If the “D” indicator starts to blink, this means that the temperature has exceeded 130 °F. You will have to turn the truck off and let it cool off before checking again.)
'

Last edited by potatomon; 10-23-18 at 02:30 AM.
Old 10-31-18, 12:04 PM
350AWD
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by potatomon
yeah for 300 its a decent deal for a dealership but really the price of 12 quarts of ws compatible at fluid is only around $70. Toyota bottle is more like 170

Sorry for late reply, I used the built in tool and did whats written below it was easy enough except the extra fluid didn't come out until I shut the car off, it doesn't mention shutting off but that seemed to work. I put in 6 liters of fluid and drained about 1/2qt of extra.

You can verify temperature by putting a short pin in DLC3, the OBDII data link connector. With your foot on the brake, shift back and forth between “D” and “N” every 1.5 seconds. After 6 seconds, or four or five shifts, the “D” indicator will stay lit for two seconds and then go out, indicating that ATF temperature check mode has been initiated. Put the shifter back in “P,” leave the engine idling, and wait for the “D” indicator to come on again, when temperature reaches 115 °F. Proceed to step two. (NOTE: If the “D” indicator starts to blink, this means that the temperature has exceeded 130 °F. You will have to turn the truck off and let it cool off before checking again.)
'
thank you for response! Very helpful info! Thanks again fellow Enthusiast!