GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Muffler Delete & Electronic Cutout on 3GS questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-18, 05:57 PM
lexo101
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so I changed my mind on the cutouts and I just want to get a exhaust system or build my own with no drone of course. I also want to cut out my mid cats. Not sure on the resonator delete or if I need to change up my mid pipe or just delete the cats and let it be.

I’m also going to buy an intake, don’t know which one yet, suggestions would be nice. I want to ad some HP to this car and after exhaust & intake I think the car is maxed out for bolt-on’s and anything for engine performance. I haven’t heard of a chip or tune.

utmost3gs has a nice sounding MagnaFlow system but he doesn’t know the exact muffler part #.

I want a deep raspy tone.

I listened to the Invidia Q300 & Tanabe Medailion Touring and I don’t like the sound of either one.

I love the sound of the HKS Hi-Power on this clip.

I can’t seem to find it for the GS350, will the IS version fit my AWD GS350?

Megan Racing sounds similar to the HKS HI-Power but it’s hard to determine from clips. I don’t know if there is different versions also. I’m pretty sure only an axel back will fit the AWD. And seems pretty expensive at $1,400. Can you just buy the mufflers?

Edit: I just found part# MR-ABE-LG06-OE for $500, can that fit the AWD with little retro fitting and the factory Mid pipe?

HKS or Megan Racing? Which is deeper and more raspy?

And rev9 is the only other system that I see for sale and there’s only clips of it on a Camaro.

Last edited by lexo101; 12-29-18 at 08:55 PM.
Old 12-30-18, 11:47 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

I'd like to state.... Coming from personal experience and preference...

If I could go back, I'd do the electric cutout route.

My car is obnoxiously loud (open pipes), and sometimes, I wish on cruises, I could shut off the noise while on the highway.

It's fun and all don't get me wrong, but the slightest acceleration I make, It gets really loud (cruising is somewhat bearable though).

Also, you can forget having phone convos (via BT) in our cars with an exhaust.

For reference: I have a 06 GS430.
Old 12-30-18, 02:13 PM
lexo101
Driver

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
I'd like to state.... Coming from personal experience and preference...

If I could go back, I'd do the electric cutout route.

My car is obnoxiously loud (open pipes), and sometimes, I wish on cruises, I could shut off the noise while on the highway.

It's fun and all don't get me wrong, but the slightest acceleration I make, It gets really loud (cruising is somewhat bearable though).

Also, you can forget having phone convos (via BT) in our cars with an exhaust.

For reference: I have a 06 GS430.
Ok, so you do have a V8 vs a V6, what do you have done exactly?

Utmost3gs, cut off his mid cats, has MagnaFlow mufflers & has a cold air intake and he says he has little to no drone.

Do our cars not have very good noise insulation for exhaust notes to creep in?

I know Infinity Sedans and SUV’s like the M35/M45/M56 FX35/FX37/F45/FX50 all have pretty aggressive factory exhaust for luxury vehicles. Also American style sports sedans like Chargers also do to and they have horrible noise Insulation.

I’ve never had cutouts or straight exhaust with no mufflers. Doesn’t a muffler give the exhaust a nice note/tone rather then just a cutout that’s just going to be louder more obnoxious? Also from reading, most cutouts seem to be unreliable and fail, and all the shops I called only do the exhaust part not the electrical, which is another pain.

Anybody else with exhaust or cutouts please chime in.

I plan on doing this in the next 2 weeks and I only want to do it once and be happy with it.

Last edited by lexo101; 12-30-18 at 02:25 PM.
Old 12-31-18, 12:41 PM
Utmost3GS
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lexo101

Ok, so you do have a V8 vs a V6, what do you have done exactly?

Utmost3gs, cut off his mid cats, has MagnaFlow mufflers & has a cold air intake and he says he has little to no drone.

Do our cars not have very good noise insulation for exhaust notes to creep in?

I know Infinity Sedans and SUV’s like the M35/M45/M56 FX35/FX37/F45/FX50 all have pretty aggressive factory exhaust for luxury vehicles. Also American style sports sedans like Chargers also do to and they have horrible noise Insulation.

I’ve never had cutouts or straight exhaust with no mufflers. Doesn’t a muffler give the exhaust a nice note/tone rather then just a cutout that’s just going to be louder more obnoxious? Also from reading, most cutouts seem to be unreliable and fail, and all the shops I called only do the exhaust part not the electrical, which is another pain.

Anybody else with exhaust or cutouts please chime in.

I plan on doing this in the next 2 weeks and I only want to do it once and be happy with it.

Okay so I did call the muffler shop and it's a big no on part numbers. They do buy them in bulk too but they don't have them. So the work I had done was $450 labor included. That was the 2 cat deletes and the muffler. Custom work is usually cheaper than buying a $1k axle back plus a mid pipe. The intake is still around $400 after tax. Definitely recommend it. Even before the exhaust work the engine itself sounds so good. The next thing I will be doing is installing an x pipe, removing the Resonator, then going with 3 inch pipes. Might go 2 1/2 inch if they have it. The stock piping all the way down pass the cats are 2inch. So it will be much louder and ada a fraction more of performance (probably only 10hp). They quoted me $375. Might get it done next month or February after regular maintenance. Side note I've heard those other exhaust and considered buying them. The Megan supposedly is lightered tone and drones some.
Old 12-31-18, 12:46 PM
Utmost3GS
Driver School Candidate

Ok so I changed my mind on the cutouts and I just want to get a exhaust system or build my own with no drone of course. I also want to cut out my mid cats. Not sure on the resonator delete or if I need to change up my mid pipe or just delete the cats and let it be.

I’m also going to buy an intake, don’t know which one yet, suggestions would be nice. I want to ad some HP to this car and after exhaust & intake I think the car is maxed out for bolt-on’s and anything for engine performance. I haven’t heard of a chip or tune.

utmost3gs has a nice sounding MagnaFlow system but he doesn’t know the exact muffler part #.

I want a deep raspy tone.

I listened to the Invidia Q300 & Tanabe Medailion Touring and I don’t like the sound of either one.

I love the sound of the HKS Hi-Power on this clip.

https://youtu.be/9wJdOMzYqr4

I can’t seem to find it for the GS350, will the IS version fit my AWD GS350?

Megan Racing sounds similar to the HKS HI-Power but it’s hard to determine from clips. I don’t know if there is different versions also. I’m pretty sure only an axel back will fit the AWD. And seems pretty expensive at $1,400. Can you just buy the mufflers?

Edit: I just found part# MR-ABE-LG06-OE for $500, can that fit the AWD with little retro fitting and the factory Mid pipe?

HKS or Megan Racing? Which is deeper and more raspy?

https://youtu.be/9yuDHAHXpzQ

And rev9 is the only other system that I see for sale and there’s only clips of it on a Camaro.

If I had to choose I'd go Megan out of those two. Also if certain don't fit. Just take it to a shop or ask them if they weld. Cause most of the time it just needs a cut and reweld or new pipe around sumtn. I know for sure it can be done for mid pipes too. And sadly no chips or at least safe proven ones or tunes for that matter I'm still looking. May have to save for a turbo kit with some custom fitting for more kick.
Old 12-31-18, 03:41 PM
lexo101
Driver

Originally Posted by Utmost3GS
If I had to choose I'd go Megan out of those two. Also if certain don't fit. Just take it to a shop or ask them if they weld. Cause most of the time it just needs a cut and reweld or new pipe around sumtn. I know for sure it can be done for mid pipes too. And sadly no chips or at least safe proven ones or tunes for that matter I'm still looking. May have to save for a turbo kit with some custom fitting for more kick.
Ok, so help me out a little more to understand. The AWD doesn’t have a mid pipe made for it.

People say to buy the Nvidia and have it customized, but wouldn’t that be too much work and money?

Do I have a muffler shop make me a 2.5 inch custom mid pipe with no cats? Or should I just keep the factory and delete the cats?

if I go with the Megan mufflers, do I have the pipes going to them changed to a 2.5” if there currently a 2”? People also said something about drone with the Megan but they had them coated or something to prevent that which people thought was odd for a muffler to have that, but I forgot what it was.

I’m up in the air on the resonator, I’m just scared of drone or it just being to loud. I had a resonator removed on my old QX4 suv and it got louder for sure.

The only cold air intake I could find is the K&N Typhoon, is that the one you suggest, if not which one and who sells it?
Old 12-31-18, 04:13 PM
Utmost3GS
Driver School Candidate

Post Humble Opinion

Ok, so help me out a little more to understand. The AWD doesn’t have a mid pipe made for it.

People say to buy the Nvidia and have it customized, but wouldn’t that be too much work and money?

Do I have a muffler shop make me a 2.5 inch custom mid pipe with no cats? Or should I just keep the factory and delete the cats?

if I go with the Megan mufflers, do I have the pipes going to them changed to a 2.5” if there currently a 2”? People also said something about drone with the Megan but they had them coated or something to prevent that which people thought was odd for a muffler to have that, but I forgot what it was.

I’m up in the air on the resonator, I’m just scared of drone or it just being to loud. I had a resonator removed on my old QX4 suv and it got louder for sure.

The only cold air intake I could find is the K&N Typhoon, is that the one you suggest, if not which one and who sells it?
1st of all yes to the typhoon thats the only one from K&N, its what I have and it records the most HP from wat ive seen. But If you wanna be safe do it in steps like my exhaust if you just start with the simple 2 Cat delete and 2 inch pipe and tell them remove the muffler so u can listen to the sound differences that what I did. Ive heard the Maxima with resonator delete and its quite deep with stock muffler, the car has 3 Cats. As far as changing pipe size might wanna wait on it. I researched pipe size for certain HP numbers. not much bottleneck for us missing that half inch. Im doing it cause im use to the sound and want louder and most power I can get. As of right now I also drive for lyft and have had compliments and zero complaints on the exhaust noise. With my setup the and drone noise i hear would be with no music playing and im listening to my car. Also i think buying the mid pipe from invidia and mod can be costly. THink they were 400? IF you wanna go all in sure. Let me know your results! Resonator was iffy for me too, but right now You cant hardly hear my muffler tone pass Id say 2500 rpm at normal speeds. Its loud and sporty close to 6k or redline like most v6. but at 70 - 80mph in 6th gear all tire and wind noise with a faint exhaust note from hitting the pedal to maintain speed and that with no music booming lol