GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

11.8" Tesla Headunit upgrade with install video

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-18, 07:09 PM
grdsman
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MX73
I'll get a screenshot of the advance settings tonight. I need to go back out to pick up my Amazon package from Whole Foods. I still don't have a good equalizer setting. It's constantly changing. One setting is fine for streaming services but not for over the air station and vice versa. I'm about to install my amp soon. Maybe I can fine tune some stuff there.

@grdsman

Thanks! That helps a lot. I'm curious what the difference is between the "GS300 LO" and "GS300 HI" from the Advanced settings.
Old 12-10-18, 07:52 PM
sush1a
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe a couple of the plugs are plugged into the wrong plug? I believe some of them can plug into a different plug. I match what the factory connector (pin count, gaps, width, etc) to the Tesla harness.
here are my harnesses.. I cannot find an adapter on the android unit side that would work with that plug. That plug is the only 1 that fits, but would not plug in correctly.

The back of my navi unit is also different.

Last edited by sush1a; 12-10-18 at 07:57 PM.
Old 12-11-18, 07:13 AM
MX73
Racer

Received 292 Likes on 226 Posts

This may help. The vendor sent me this last night. I didn't have this issue.

Old 12-11-18, 07:35 AM
grdsman
Rookie

MX73, have you figured out how to adjust your fade front to rear for audio? It doesn't look available.
Old 12-11-18, 07:41 AM
MX73
Racer

Yes, I'm able to adjust the fader from front to rear. I just slide the blue dot up and down, side to side. Thing is, if I set it all the way to the rear, it cuts off the sound.
Old 12-11-18, 07:42 AM
grdsman
Rookie

Yes, I'm able to adjust the fader from front to rear. I just slide the blue dot up and down, side to side. Thing is, if I set it all the way to the rear, it cuts off the sound.

I don't think I've seen a blue dot

Edited: Nevermind, I found it. It really doesn't seem to fade the way it is intended, though.

Last edited by grdsman; 12-11-18 at 02:04 PM.
Old 12-11-18, 11:13 AM
sush1a
Driver

This may help. The vendor sent me this last night. I didn't have this issue.

that’s what the vendor sent me as well, but I’m not understanding the instructions too well. I’m thinking just cutting 1 of the 2 pink wire and see if it works? If not, connect it back and cut the other?
Old 12-11-18, 07:01 PM
Kdee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sush1a

that’s what the vendor sent me as well, but I’m not understanding the instructions too well. I’m thinking just cutting 1 of the 2 pink wire and see if it works? If not, connect it back and cut the other?

This is the last plug and it goes nowhere....im having rhe issues with the airbag light remaining on. help
Old 12-11-18, 07:15 PM
MX73
Racer

You could do that. From what I interpret from the instruction, the one connector that you didn't find a home for, leave disconnected and use the larger plug. Then cut one of the pink wires for normal flasher and airbag operation. If you are going to cut the wire, leave some room if you need to strip the wire.

Originally Posted by Kdee

This is the last plug and it goes nowhere....im having rhe issues with the airbag light remaining on. help
I think you leave this disconnected. Are your flashers working? Which airbag light are you referring to, the light on the headunit or the light in the gauges? Did you also connect the plug that goes into the bottom of the new head unit?

Last edited by MX73; 12-11-18 at 07:26 PM.
Old 12-11-18, 07:53 PM
verly6565
Advanced

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

looks like the sent me the wrong plug i think its the cd power up plug

Old 12-11-18, 08:12 PM
sush1a
Driver

You could do that. From what I interpret from the instruction, the one connector that you didn't find a home for, leave disconnected and use the larger plug. Then cut one of the pink wires for normal flasher and airbag operation. If you are going to cut the wire, leave some room if you need to strip the wire.

I think you leave this disconnected. Are your flashers working? Which airbag light are you referring to, the light on the headunit or the light in the gauges? Did you also connect the plug that goes into the bottom of the new head unit?
2nd that, vendor instructions says you only connect 1 adapter, either the bigger plug or the smaller one. Since the smaller plug doesn’t fit ours, it’s only the bigger plug that will fit in. I’m wondering if you have issues with hazard light when you plug it in..
Old 12-11-18, 08:19 PM
Kdee
Driver School Candidate

2nd that, vendor instructions says you only connect 1 adapter, either the bigger plug or the smaller one. Since the smaller plug doesn’t fit ours, it’s only the bigger plug that will fit in. I’m wondering if you have issues with hazard light when you plug it in..
yes, i have the larger one plugged in...and im referring to the light on my gauge cluster...i do have the plug in at the bottom of the unit....i disconnected the unit and re-installed and now the hazard lights will not work at all...before they blinked nonstop.
Old 12-11-18, 09:49 PM
sush1a
Driver

Well, I tested connecting both wires individually, still not getting hazard on. On one of the wires, the security blinker comes on, but hazard doesn’t work. When powered on, the hardware buttons for off and ac doesn’t work either. I wonder how much is shipping to Hong Kong for the return..
Old 12-11-18, 11:20 PM
Kdee
Driver School Candidate

Well, I tested connecting both wires individually, still not getting hazard on. On one of the wires, the security blinker comes on, but hazard doesn’t work. When powered on, the hardware buttons for off and ac doesn’t work either. I wonder how much is shipping to Hong Kong for the return..
im having the same issue.
Old 12-12-18, 12:20 AM
PewieM
Driver School Candidate

For people with hazard keep blinking, try pressing the hazard button very hard. Maybe it's in the "ON" button mode. For my hazard button, guess the build quality isn't that good cause I have to press the hazard button firmly in to turn it off and on.

Well, finally got mine installed and had this extra cable dangling... LOL. The tesla head unit has 6 plugs, but my factory navi head unit has 7. Anyone know the purpose of this cable? Wonder if it's something important, since it's not plugged into anything right now.

MX73, i have the same car as you, 2006 GS300, and also bought the same headunit from your ebay link and amazon backup camera and followed your instructions. But for some reason, when I reverse, the backup camera isn't showing, nothing changes on the screen as if I had no backup camera. Did you have to change some kind of option at first to enable the reverse camera in the beginning?

Quick Reply: 11.8" Tesla Headunit upgrade with install video