GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

11.8" Tesla Headunit upgrade with install video

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-18, 09:55 PM
MX73
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by PewieM
@MX73 Saw your updated OBD II Connection post, from the video, it seems like it also provided the actual PSI readings of all 4 tires? Or did you have that before? On my car, it only notifies me if my tire pressure is below the threshold, then the TPMS warning comes on, and doesn't exactly say the tire's PSI rating. If that is a bonus to get exact PSI reading when it didn't have it before on stock car, then guess I'll have to connect the OBD II too.

Another question, how is the radio signal/quality of the Tesla HU? On stock head units, they have diversity antenna, where there is a primary antenna, and secondary antenna. I see the Tesla HU only has a jack for the primary antenna. Wonder if getting something like this would improve radio quality since it'll combine both of the antennas into one: http://www.discountcarstereo.com/BAA2634.html
It does not provide an actual reading from the TPMS sensors nor does it give me any warnings through the head unit, just the dummy light in the gauge cluster.

I only plugged the primary antenna. I didn't notice any difference in signal quality. I may pick up the antenna adapter since I didn't know one exist.
Old 12-02-18, 10:43 PM
PewieM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MX73
It does not provide an actual reading from the TPMS sensors nor does it give me any warnings through the head unit, just the dummy light in the gauge cluster.

I only plugged the primary antenna. I didn't notice any difference in signal quality. I may pick up the antenna adapter since I didn't know one exist.
DOH!, I just looked at your video again and it says - PSI 32 F, thought it says PSI 32... as in your tire pressure is 32... lol
Old 12-03-18, 06:58 AM
MX73
Racer

Sorry, I haven't dealt with this company.
Old 12-03-18, 09:06 AM
sush1a
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MX73, did you have to buy the OBDII connector separately or was it included? Can you provide the link to it if it was bought separately? I wonder if a wireless bluetooth OBDII adapter will work with the unit.

Thanks.

Last edited by sush1a; 12-03-18 at 09:10 AM.
Old 12-03-18, 11:45 AM
MX73
Racer

Originally Posted by sush1a
MX73, did you have to buy the OBDII connector separately or was it included? Can you provide the link to it if it was bought separately? I wonder if a wireless bluetooth OBDII adapter will work with the unit.

Thanks.
Mine was included in the kit.
Old 12-03-18, 05:27 PM
grdsman
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got mine installed today. It takes a bit to figure out. How do you get to the various audio modes without pressing modenon the steering wheel? Also, mine came with a camera. Where does the red wire connect at both ends? I'm not sure how to hook the backup camera up.

Mike
Old 12-03-18, 05:38 PM
grdsman
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

....also, any tips or tricks that you've learned? How do you change what the two halves of the screen have by default?

Old 12-03-18, 06:37 PM
MX73
Racer

Originally Posted by grdsman
I got mine installed today. It takes a bit to figure out. How do you get to the various audio modes without pressing modenon the steering wheel? Also, mine came with a camera. Where does the red wire connect at both ends? I'm not sure how to hook the backup camera up.

Mike
On the mode question, everything is done on the screen. Tap Radio, Music, Bluetooth or App. The Music button has a sub-menu where you can select onboard storage, sdcard or usb. Any streaming music can be done via BT streaming or downloading the app to the unit from the Play Store. If you're doing it through the play store, you would need to open the apps on the HU. The mode button on the steering wheel will not cycle through them.

The 2 red wires, One will connect to the brown wire on the back of the unit. It's labeled "BACK." The other red wire will connect to the +12v red wire on the rear inner taillight harness (4 wire harness, orange, red, white, brown).

Brown wire, back of HU on the camera input harness

Trunk side, 4 pin harness, red wire on the factory harness is the trigger wire. Connect the red wire from the camera to this. The red/black wire will go to a ground.

Last edited by MX73; 12-03-18 at 06:58 PM.
Old 12-03-18, 06:41 PM
MX73
Racer

Originally Posted by grdsman
....also, any tips or tricks that you've learned? How do you change what the two halves of the screen have by default?

As far as I can see, there is no way to change the two halves. I normally don't have the default screen up. I have either nav, youtube, Pandora or Spotify up.

Were you able to utilize the all mounting points to secure the unit to the dash? I'm tempted to drill new holes in the factory dash mount so I can completely secure the unit.

Last edited by MX73; 12-03-18 at 06:55 PM.
Old 12-03-18, 06:50 PM
MX73
Racer

If you're looking for a good map, try the TomTom Go navigation app. It's really smooth on this unit. A huge plus, it auto dims at night when you don't have a destination. Google Maps does not dim at night unless there is a destination. A huge minus is that the TomTom app is $7 a month for unlimited navigation or $22 a year for unlimited navigation.

Google Map is resource intensive, starts studdering and have some issues rendering a map. It's slow.
Waze is ok but the constant popups at every stop turned me away from using the app.

Maps and Waze require an active data connection so rendering the map is slow.
The TomTom Go app downloads a map of the US, Canada, and/or Mexico to the HU. That way it does not rely on an active data connection. It's a huge database tho. 5GB for the entire US and 1.1GB for the central region. I'm not sure how big Mexico and Canada would add to the download.
Old 12-05-18, 01:13 AM
VeskuFin
Driver School Candidate

Hi grdsman, did I understand correctly that you have Mark Levinson in your car, with 14 speakers? If so how was the installation? Is new HU connected to original amplifier or does it use HU's own amp?
Old 12-05-18, 01:34 AM
PewieM
Driver School Candidate

@MX73

My unit finally arrived. Was looking through the wires/harness and noticed that it had the correct OBD2 connections, each end fit correctly (it even explicitly says OBD on each end), no needed to modify, so that was weird that you had too on yours.

Another thing, in addition, there was also a plug that looks like the one you cut/modify, I wonder if it's also just a second OBD2 connection and you overlooked yours.

Because mine has the correct connections for the OBD2 already and also has that wire that you cut, so I'm curious of what the extra one is for (not sure what it plugs into).
Old 12-05-18, 06:22 AM
MX73
Racer

What the heck. Hmmm. I'll probably pull the unit again, take a picture and contact the vendor. Are you getting the MPG readouts?

I heard stories from multiple folks, not here but other forums, that had to get a new harness shipped.
Old 12-05-18, 06:31 AM
MX73
Racer

Originally Posted by PewieM
@MX73

My unit finally arrived. Was looking through the wires/harness and noticed that it had the correct OBD2 connections, each end fit correctly (it even explicitly says OBD on each end), no needed to modify, so that was weird that you had too on yours.

Another thing, in addition, there was also a plug that looks like the one you cut/modify, I wonder if it's also just a second OBD2 connection and you overlooked yours.

Because mine has the correct connections for the OBD2 already and also has that wire that you cut, so I'm curious of what the extra one is for (not sure what it plugs into).
If you haven't installed the unit in the car, what harness on the HU did the OBD2 cable come off of? I don't know what the 5 pin harness is for, obviously it pulling data from the OBD2 system and displaying them on the screen.
Old 12-05-18, 10:30 AM
verly6565
Advanced

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

mx73 did you end up using the backup camera witch came with the tesla unit...now you got the the lines to bend

Quick Reply: 11.8" Tesla Headunit upgrade with install video