GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

11.8" Tesla Headunit upgrade with install video

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-18, 01:35 PM
grdsman
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MX73
Oh hell no. lol. I'm not going to root this. I'll root my phone but not this.
Agreed.

Anybody figure out how to change the Celsius to Fahrenheit on the outside temperature display?
Old 12-06-18, 03:41 PM
MX73
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

Ok. Vendor got back to me about that extra green cable. Depending on the vehicle, it's interchangeable with this purple/pink/white cable. So we will leave that alone. I send in a picture of my harness to show that I'm missing the OBD2 interface. I think they will send me another cable soon.

Old 12-06-18, 04:30 PM
PewieM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MX73, Ask them if they have a cable/harness where you can connect the factory TPMS too. So maybe it can get the PSI readings and stuff. Or maybe if they know how to get the TPMS reading from the OBD.

Also, I ordered the same backup camera as you did. Did you have to drill a hole where the stock backup camera was to fit? Or did it fit fine? And how did you take it off exactly? Trying to grasp everything before attempting to do it. And did you use any of the gaskets to adjust the angle?

Thanks for all your help. If I did all of this without you first attempting, I would of been lost... lol

Last edited by PewieM; 12-06-18 at 05:15 PM.
Old 12-07-18, 11:35 AM
sush1a
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MX73,

do you have any instruction on how to open up the trunk to install the aftermarket backup cam? My unit will be here this Monday and I think that’s the part I am worried about.

thanks!
Old 12-07-18, 11:39 AM
MX73
Racer

Originally Posted by sush1a
MX73,

do you have any instruction on how to open up the trunk to install the aftermarket backup cam? My unit will be here this Monday and I think that’s the part I am worried about.

thanks!
I do not. I'll see if I can make one over the weekend while I do my oil change.
Old 12-07-18, 11:50 AM
MX73
Racer

Originally Posted by PewieM
MX73, Ask them if they have a cable/harness where you can connect the factory TPMS too. So maybe it can get the PSI readings and stuff. Or maybe if they know how to get the TPMS reading from the OBD.

Also, I ordered the same backup camera as you did. Did you have to drill a hole where the stock backup camera was to fit? Or did it fit fine? And how did you take it off exactly? Trying to grasp everything before attempting to do it. And did you use any of the gaskets to adjust the angle?

Thanks for all your help. If I did all of this without you first attempting, I would of been lost... lol
I did not have a stock backup cam. I'm not sure how big the opening is once you remove the factory camera.

I did use the factory location and did drill a hole, I believe it's a 3/4" hole. Maybe smaller. I did not use any of the gasket to adjust the angle. I'll take some pictures this weekend. Hopefully, it'll stop raining here.
Old 12-07-18, 02:38 PM
verly6565
Advanced

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

did you use the camera what came with the tesla unit or one from amazon
Old 12-07-18, 02:58 PM
MX73
Racer

The one from amazon.
Old 12-07-18, 03:33 PM
sush1a
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MX73
I do not. I'll see if I can make one over the weekend while I do my oil change.
very much appreciated. Thank you!
Old 12-08-18, 05:29 PM
grdsman
Rookie

The following users liked this post:
MX73 (12-08-18)
Old 12-09-18, 02:07 AM
PewieM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MX73, I finally mounted the backup camera from Amazon. Took awhile to figure out how to remove the inner tail to drill a hole and screw the new camera in.

Notes: If your car has OEM equipped backup camera, then the Amazon camera will not fit because the hole is bigger than the Amazon camera and it just goes right through. So I had to drill a hole next to it, now I have 2 backup cameras on my car showing... lol. If I removed the OEM camera, then there will be a big hole exposed... I'll probably get a flat rubber piece and slap it on the inside later to block the OEM camera hole if I have time.

Also, how the heck did they wire up the trunk lid? I don't see any wires going from the trunk lid to the car... It's like magic what they did... I'm trying to keep a clean look and route my new backup camera through the same spot but can't see wires. I'm confused. See photo below, those are the only things connecting the trunk lid to the car.

Old 12-09-18, 05:52 AM
MX73
Racer

Originally Posted by PewieM
Also, how the heck did they wire up the trunk lid? I don't see any wires going from the trunk lid to the car... It's like magic what they did... I'm trying to keep a clean look and route my new backup camera through the same spot but can't see wires. I'm confused. See photo below, those are the only things connecting the trunk lid to the car.

​​​​​​
The strap is what power the lights and lock on the trunk.
Old 12-09-18, 08:14 AM
grdsman
Rookie

Be careful with the access to the advanced settings that you learn on the site that I posted above. I was browsing through the advanced settings this morning and accidentally hit a setting without knowing it and the next thing I knew, everything that I touched was opposite of what I was seeing. I had reversed my touch settings from the screen settings inadvertently (for example, a button in the top left would require me touching the lower right of the screen to activate it). That was fun to get back straight....
Old 12-09-18, 12:22 PM
MX73
Racer

Originally Posted by sush1a

very much appreciated. Thank you!
I also took off my license plate. Just because. I think it could be secured to the inner shell. If not, I had a good excuse to clean behind the plate.

Pull the 11 plastic clips. Best to use a flat head and stick it between the slots on the head. Emergency trunk lever has those stupid claws. I ended up breaking them. Two Philips head screw on the interior handle.

11, 10mm nuts secures the outer skin to the inner skin. Remove all light stocks connected to the inner taillights.

Once you remove all the nuts, you will need to separate the outer skin from the inner stick. Pull slowly. You will hear the clips pop from the inner shell. The outer shell is fiberglass or something like that. Very lightweight. I almost drop it. Install is the reverse order.
Old 12-10-18, 03:42 AM
grdsman
Rookie

Anyone want to post up pictures of their hidden settings under “system information” and “advanced” for me? I just want to compare since I monkeyed with some things. Oh, also your favorite equalizer settings.

Mike

Quick Reply: 11.8" Tesla Headunit upgrade with install video