GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

New 06 GS300 Owner with a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-18, 05:29 PM
drgerry
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New 06 GS300 Owner with a few questions

1. Bluetooth - Nav screen say's it connects but dialing out on my phone, it doesn't pick up. Also, incoming calls take a long time to connect. I'm usually in the conversation when it finally connects. Is there a firmware update or patch?
  2. Nav DVD update - what is the latest update version that will work with this old Nav system? Is it U30 (2015?). Will they continue to produce updates or will it eventually be phased out?
  3. I want to go from the 17" 10 spoke chrome wheels to the 18" 5 spoke. Any reason I shouldn't? (speedometer accuracy, etc.)
Old 12-22-18, 06:33 PM
MX73
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

1) What kind of phone do you have? You could call the dealership to see if there is a firmware update.
2) The 2006 GS has the Gen 4 system. The latest map update is 2015. Lexus phase out Gen 5 and older. No new updates for us. Only the Gen 6 which was installed on the 2010-2011 GS will get further updates.
3) I upgraded to the GS430 5 spoke wheel. Accuracy isn't way off. I think it's off by .3-.7 mph. It'll read slower.
Old 12-22-18, 06:54 PM
drgerry
Pit Crew

It is an Android (Samsung) phone
So, the U30 Ver 15.1 is the latest? Lexus ought to be ashamed of themselves.I can buy a $99 Garmin and get free updates for life!
Old 12-22-18, 07:05 PM
MX73
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

Samsung ???? S10, S9, J10, Note8, Note6, etc

Why should Lexus be ashamed? They're not the ones providing updates. Does Garmin or TomTom provide free updates for life? Maybe. Will future Garmin or TomTom technology or innovation trickle down to older hardware? Probably not. You have to think of that as well.

This is what the consumer doesn't read on Garmin or TomTom. Same applies to any auto manufacturer. It's not just Lexus.

From the Garmin site.
If you purchase a nüMaps Lifetime subscription (sold separately) or if your Garmin product comes bundled with a nüMaps Lifetime or other lifetime map subscription, you will receive map data updates when and as such updates are made available on Garmin.com during the useful life of 1 compatible Garmin product or as long as Garmin receives map data from a third party supplier, whichever is shorter. A product’s “useful life” means the period during which the product (a) has sufficient memory capacity and other required technical capabilities to utilize current map data and (b) is capable of operating as intended without major repairs. A product will be deemed to be out of service and its useful life to be ended if no updates have been downloaded for such product for a period of 24 months or more. Unless otherwise stated, the updates you receive under the subscription will be updates to the same geographic area included with your Garmin product when originally purchased. In some instances, your Garmin product might not have sufficient memory remaining for you to load an update to the map data, in which case you will need to either (a) select reduced map data coverage for your updates, or (b) purchase separately a microSD™/SD™ card (if and as applicable to your Garmin product) and load all or a portion of the map data coverage for your updates to the card and insert the card into the microSD/SD card slot contained in your Garmin product. If neither of the measures in (a) or (b) can be used to address your product’s lack of sufficient remaining memory, then Garmin may conclude that the “useful life” of your product has expired. Garmin may terminate your nüMaps Lifetime or other lifetime map subscription at any time if you violate any of the terms of this agreement or your subscription. Your nüMaps Lifetime subscription or other lifetime map subscription may not be transferred to another person or another Garmin product.

Last edited by MX73; 12-22-18 at 07:12 PM.
Old 12-22-18, 07:31 PM
drgerry
Pit Crew

Yep, but their updates are free . . . . not $150.
We also have a 2007 RX350 and the Nav is more like a toy. It may or may not find the address. And it will usually get you there, although in a round about way. And, the worst thing is you can't use it going down the road.

You can't even save your seat or mirror setting while driving. Now, that's stupid. On a 4 hr road trip you find a setting that is very comfortable. Now you have to remember to set it when you stop or you'll lose it.

Sorry . . . . I'm venting . . . . .
Old 12-25-18, 05:30 PM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

I upgraded from 17 inch OEMs and bought the OEM 18 inch five spoke wheels on e bay (they are replicas but they look and perform great)...Trying to find factory OEM 18s proved to be a hassle for me so I went with the replicas for 1/3 of the price. I also bought some Lexus center caps just to insure they would fit. They look great and almost seem resistant to dirt and brake dust. As for the Bluetooth, I found a connector which would allow me to stream music and make phone calls but it requires removing the OEM unit to connect the wires. Install seems pretty simple but I’ve been lazy of late. I’ll get it done before returning back to work for the holidays.......hopefully