GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Looking to buy an 06-08 GS. What should I look out for?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-19, 04:27 PM
rfinnegan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy an 06-08 GS. What should I look out for?

Hi All:

I'm planning to buy an 06-08 GS in the next month or so. I've always liked the looks of the GS and now that a new (to me) car is needed, I'm going to take the plunge.

That said, what should I look for in a used GS? Or more importantly, is there anything I should look out for?

On my radar right now is an 07 350 AWD with about 110K miles. The CarFax report says that at about 61K the following was done -
-Timing chain gears replaced
-Water pump replaced.
Are those weaknesses that I should be aware of? Is this a common repair?

The others I'm looking at are:
06 300 with 141K
07 350 with 123K

I know that's not much to go on, but anything that your experience would heighten your sensitivity to, please let me know.
Also, to confirm - the 06 would have a timing belt, while the 07 and newer have a timing chain, right?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-21-19, 06:29 PM
tghw
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

The repairs that you noted on the 07 are normal. The TC gears were a factory recall and the water pump should be replaced at 100K mi. so that's already done. Stay away from the 06 300s. They have major problems with carbon buildup on the valves/intake because they are direct injection only. 07 and up GSs were changed to both direct/port injection which eliminates that flaw.
Old 02-22-19, 08:35 AM
rfinnegan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tghw
The repairs that you noted on the 07 are normal. The TC gears were a factory recall and the water pump should be replaced at 100K mi. so that's already done. Stay away from the 06 300s. They have major problems with carbon buildup on the valves/intake because they are direct injection only. 07 and up GSs were changed to both direct/port injection which eliminates that flaw.
Thanks. That's exactly the experienced information I'm looking for.
Any comments on the AWD models? I'm in Southern California, so there won't be any snow driving and only minimal rain driving. I see the MPG suffers a little, but are there any pitfalls in the AWD system?
Old 02-22-19, 08:36 PM
XxGoKoUxX
Forum Moderator

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Yeah, you can't lower it or mess around with it much unless you modify the axles, or add intermediate adapters to it, because the angle the wheels sit when it lowers itself causes the axle to pop out of its shaft or something (if I remember correctly).

You'll get tons of wobble when driving. IMO, if you don't need AWD, you should opt not to get it. It's just more things to go wrong with our cars....

AFAIK? it doesn't reap any benefits in a situation like your's.

You should look around on these forums and do a small search, you'll find just about everything you've been wondering about. Especially the "what to look for" threads
Old 02-22-19, 11:23 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 795 Likes on 688 Posts

Avoid 06, buy 07-up, in 08-up they have newer front end with more technology.
Old 02-23-19, 05:15 AM
potatomon
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

yeah I hate how the AWD wobbles when you do a U-Turn or drive in circles slowly(why would you? but still.) and that it robs power from my rear wheels. but in the snow you're god.

whatever you get just make sure you test drive it good, at least 30 minutes of city driving. If you notice transmission not shifting right, getting stuck in gears, not downshifting, car feels underpowered, just walk away.

I say this because I bought one with a bad transmission cuz I was so stoked on getting a deal, I didn't bother to really check it over.

Had to order 2 solenoids, clutch lock up and line pressure control from JAPAN because it was cheaper than buying from lexusparts dot whatever. Less than $100 for genuine solenoids.

Last edited by potatomon; 02-23-19 at 05:22 AM.
Old 02-23-19, 06:51 PM
tghw
Intermediate

Originally Posted by potatomon
yeah I hate how the AWD wobbles when you do a U-Turn or drive in circles slowly(why would you? but still.) and that it robs power from my rear wheels. but in the snow you're god.

whatever you get just make sure you test drive it good, at least 30 minutes of city driving. If you notice transmission not shifting right, getting stuck in gears, not downshifting, car feels underpowered, just walk away.

I say this because I bought one with a bad transmission cuz I was so stoked on getting a deal, I didn't bother to really check it over.

Had to order 2 solenoids, clutch lock up and line pressure control from JAPAN because it was cheaper than buying from lexusparts dot whatever. Less than $100 for genuine solenoids.
My 09 GS350 AWD does not "wobble" when I do a U turn or turn tightly. There's something else wrong with your car if it does that.
Old 02-23-19, 11:09 PM
potatomon
Pole Position

My 09 GS350 AWD does not "wobble" when I do a U turn or turn tightly. There's something else wrong with your car if it does that.
​​​​​Id be interested to know what wheels and tires you have as it might matter here
Some guys in the is250 forum were talking about it, they were having this issue on 4 year old cars, and someone asked Lexus about it and they apparently said it's normal for AWD models to do this. I'm not trying to defend my bucket but I'm saying they might be right.

Find a perfectly paved dry(!) space, turn your wheel full lock and baaarely pressing on the throttle drive in circle. If it doesn't do this there's gonna be some research to be done

​​​​

Also this car has a pretty high steering angle it's almost like a drift car. I don't think the center diff was designed for this kind of turning on dry pavement, I wish a wizard from Lexus would appear and clear up the situation

If you lift the car up, get a helper to hold one front wheel and you spin the other, the rear wheels will spin instead. But what if you also hold the rear wheels? You will be trying to spin the 1 tire but if other ones are unable to move the drivetrain will just get loaded up until it can release the energy somehow.

I think that's partially what happens the wheels do travel some but not enough, causing torque bind up on the driveline which must be released. That's my official theory for now.

Edit: if I'm not mistaken, according to fellow members here, the diff has a clutch and is electronically and hydraulically controlled so it should allow front and back to do completely different things which for me it isn't.
I don't think the front or rear diff would really fail or cause this issue as they are simple mechanic units

Everybody with AWD go drive in circle💨😀

Last edited by potatomon; 02-23-19 at 11:55 PM.
Old 02-24-19, 09:13 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Same with my 2006 AWD with 165K. Never did a wobble during any type of U turn or tight turn
Old 02-25-19, 01:41 AM
potatomon
Pole Position

ok thanks for clearing that up.
the awd is fine! It's my tranny.

Once you drive it sometimes it starts acting up badly, it does thing thing where as soon as you get moving it slaps the clutch on you feel a shake and massive underpower and that can make u turns or pulling into a parking spot a PITA cuz the car shakes and vibrates

Last edited by potatomon; 02-25-19 at 01:47 AM.
Old 02-26-19, 12:23 PM
Lexushead
Driver

I found an 06 with Super nice 1 owner GS 300 AWD with 40k miles. Their bottom line is $10,800.00 Look immaculate. "Avoid the 06" because of the " carbon buildup on the valves/intake "?
Old 02-26-19, 12:37 PM
potatomon
Pole Position

laugh in their faces and walk away, that's 460 territory
Old 02-26-19, 01:36 PM
tghw
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Lexushead
I found an 06 with Super nice 1 owner GS 300 AWD with 40k miles. Their bottom line is $10,800.00 Look immaculate. "Avoid the 06" because of the " carbon buildup on the valves/intake "?
That low mileage is enticing, but for that money I would be looking for a 07 up GS350 with less that 100K mi. There are just too many issues with the 06 GS300 to take the risk in my opinion.
Old 02-26-19, 09:26 PM
ServerTech
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

… SNIP ...

Everybody with AWD go drive in circle💨😀[/QUOTE]

DUDE that sounds like a really good way to tear up dried out 14 year old rubber front CV joint boots. Hel, it cant be good for the old CV joints either!
Have you read the nightmare stories of replacing the front right CV axle assembly?

Old 02-27-19, 06:23 AM
rfinnegan
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the input. What are your thoughts on the 06 430?
Also, for those who own the 350, are the reports of excessive oil consumption true? Are any of you experiencing it?

Quick Reply: Looking to buy an 06-08 GS. What should I look out for?