GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-19, 06:38 AM
sonyxbr80
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Car won't start

Hi everyone, I was bleeding my brakes as I usually do with my other vehicles. I normally do the one person brake bleed with a Gatorade bottle without any issues. However after bleeding my 2008 Lexus 350 RWD it will not start. The front dash illuminates with the the VSC light and brake malfunction also illuminates. There are NO DTC codes related to the engine, however after connecting Techstream, there are codes related to the ABS/VSC/Trac and it reveal codes, C0278-Open circuit in ABS solenoid relay circuit, U0073- control module communication Bus off, U0123- Lost communication with the Yaw Rate Sensor Module, U0124- lost communication with lateral Acceleration Sensor Module, U0126- Lost communcation with Steering Angle Sensor Module. The engine fan comes on when it is in ACC mode and with the stated illuminated lights. I reset the ABS codes using techstream and it starts for a brief second and stops as soon as the ABS codes are detected and illuminated on the dash board again. The car will not start and the fans will run on ACC mode when normally it shouldn't. It will again start for less than a second every time the ABS light is cleared and the engine fan will turn on and stay running. I think there might be a relay issue not providing a power bridge to the other component of the systems to keep the car running or the ABS ecu module is shorted. Any help would really be appreciated,thanks.
Old 03-03-19, 06:59 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 770 Likes on 664 Posts

Have you checked to see what the battery voltage is on the battery and while cranking voltage? Because many times our cars will trigger ABS/VSC/Trac when the battery is low on juice. You may have bad battery terminals aswell, to where they give you just enough contact to turn on acc but not fire up the starter properly.

If battery and voltage is good, another common issue is with fuel pressure sensors going out. People have said that when the sensor goes bad, the fans kick on. What some have worked for them is by disconnecting and reconnecting the sensor and sometimes it will fire up the car. But more likely it will need to be replaced. Its located under the throttle body on the fuel rail.
The following users liked this post:
sonyxbr80 (03-03-19)
Old 03-03-19, 07:11 AM
sonyxbr80
Driver School Candidate

Yes the battery is fully charged and the terminals are clean well to ensure contact. The battery voltage drops to about 12.25 when attempting to start it and at 13.15 on idle position. Its just a coincidence that after completing a brake job the vsc light and brake malfunction illuminates with the stated codes and car will not start. Will a defective fuel pressure sensor cause the car not to start?
Old 03-03-19, 08:03 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sonyxbr80
Yes the battery is fully charged and the terminals are clean well to ensure contact. The battery voltage drops to about 12.25 when attempting to start it and at 13.15 on idle position. Its just a coincidence that after completing a brake job the vsc light and brake malfunction illuminates with the stated codes and car will not start. Will a defective fuel pressure sensor cause the car not to start?
Yes a bad fuel pressure sensor will not allow a signal to the starter. Another thing I would check would be the starter, you can grab a test light and see if its getting good power, and then check to see if the ignition lead is also getting power when you press the starter button.

Old 03-03-19, 08:55 AM
sonyxbr80
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ibidu1
Yes a bad fuel pressure sensor will not allow a signal to the starter. Another thing I would check would be the starter, you can grab a test light and see if its getting good power, and then check to see if the ignition lead is also getting power when you press the starter button.
Yes I will order and replace it since it isn't expensive and also cheap insurance. I will update whether this fix the issue. Thanks!
Old 03-09-19, 04:58 PM
sonyxbr80
Driver School Candidate

Default She fired right up like butter

Originally Posted by sonyxbr80
Yes I will order and replace it since it isn't expensive and also cheap insurance. I will update whether this fix the issue. Thanks!
Yes you are absolutely correct. After installing the fuel pressure sensor, she started right up. No DTC lights on or anything. The brake codes were false code triggered when electric current cycle through the ABS system and coincidentally was when the fuel pressure sensor finally malfunction. This caused the obd network to crash and unable to trigger the actual fuel pressure code. Many thanks to you! I just want to let everyone know that if you are having similar conditions to mine, you may want to replace the fuel sensor and gasket. When the fuel pressure sensor detect low pressure due to malfunction of the sensor the car will simply not start. There is an official campaign online by national safety highway recall on how to install it. I torque it roughly about 23 for lb. 😀😃😀
Old 03-09-19, 06:06 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Glad you got it fixed! How much did the part cost you? Do you have a part number for it?
Old 03-09-19, 06:32 PM
sonyxbr80
Driver School Candidate

Default Got it on eBay

Originally Posted by ibidu1
Glad you got it fixed! How much did the part cost you? Do you have a part number for it?
Part number
89458-30010
19.99 on eBay
I got the Denso OEM. It was really inexpensive compared to the dealer, which would have cost 300.00 dollars
The following users liked this post:
FrankJL (03-11-24)