GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Lexus GS 350 or IS 350? Pleaseeee, help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-19, 07:35 AM
gs350fan
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by scrmnws6
Make sure to check out insurance on both.

I love my GS, but for some reason insurance on the GS models is much higher when comparing other Lexus models.
I put an 11 Tundra Limited to see the price and it was actually a few bucks more. It had higher property damage but lower comprehensive :lol:. Insurance is a big YMMV.
Old 04-10-19, 07:38 AM
gs350fan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Lextazy
Thank you Potatomon. And thank you all guys. I'll be looking for GS 460 or 350 now. That's all I need in a car - smooth long trip rides and sportiness. And of course a reliability and Lexus has that.
Hopefully, I'll find one soon. Will post pictures as soon as I get it! Wish me luck!
Good Luck!

It is all the power you will need in an everyday car. Well above average.
The RWD will certainly give you slightly more performance, the AWD certainly steals a small bit. The 0-60 according to spec is only .1 sec different though.
Next step up would be a true sportscar like a V8 Mustang.
Old 04-10-19, 08:18 AM
Lextazy
Pole Position

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by scrmnws6
Make sure to check out insurance on both.

I love my GS, but for some reason insurance on the GS models is much higher when comparing other Lexus models.
Hopefully, I'll find a decent one. Thank you.
Old 04-10-19, 08:27 AM
Lextazy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gs350fan
Good Luck!

It is all the power you will need in an everyday car. Well above average.
The RWD will certainly give you slightly more performance, the AWD certainly steals a small bit. The 0-60 according to spec is only .1 sec different though.
Next step up would be a true sportscar like a V8 Mustang.
Thank you! I'm looking for AWD as winter here in Indiana is quite snowy. Even my current FWD is struggling.
As for V8 Mustang, I don't think I would be able to change the comfort ride of Lexus to Mustang) But if I have a chance to have two cars, then that might be very decent option I was looking at Infinity G37 coupe, Mustang, IS 350 and then I found a GS. And I thought that a sedan with decent power would be better to have as the only car. A second car will definitely be a fun sport coupe.
Old 04-10-19, 10:28 AM
gs350fan
Intermediate

Thank you! I'm looking for AWD as winter here in Indiana is quite snowy. Even my current FWD is struggling.
As for V8 Mustang, I don't think I would be able to change the comfort ride of Lexus to Mustang) But if I have a chance to have two cars, then that might be very decent option I was looking at Infinity G37 coupe, Mustang, IS 350 and then I found a GS. And I thought that a sedan with decent power would be better to have as the only car. A second car will definitely be a fun sport coupe.
A v8 mustang when our cars were sold had a bit less HP, but more torque. I think they are around the same weight...
The AWD system is pretty good, but good tires can't hurt either. I think for used Midsized, largish car, you aren't going to do better, especially with the AWD option.

Either you are going to sacrifice reliability (BMW, Mercedes), those are notorious for being high cost to maintain, especially 10 yrs down the line. Sure, you may get lucky, but it is a big chance. I'm friends with a used car dealer and he said he hates selling them sometimes, almost always a comeback. He puts a $500 fund per car :lol:. Very rare with Toyota/Lexus.
Or get something boring like a Camry or Accord. Note the Acura Isn't RWD based.

A possible lower end competitor could be a v6 loaded Subaru Legacy, but it will lack power.

Infinity G37 Could be competition, I honestly don't know how reliable they are. Nissan isn't known for the best reliability.
Old 04-10-19, 11:55 AM
Lextazy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gs350fan
A v8 mustang when our cars were sold had a bit less HP, but more torque. I think they are around the same weight...
The AWD system is pretty good, but good tires can't hurt either. I think for used Midsized, largish car, you aren't going to do better, especially with the AWD option.

Either you are going to sacrifice reliability (BMW, Mercedes), those are notorious for being high cost to maintain, especially 10 yrs down the line. Sure, you may get lucky, but it is a big chance. I'm friends with a used car dealer and he said he hates selling them sometimes, almost always a comeback. He puts a $500 fund per car :lol:. Very rare with Toyota/Lexus.
Or get something boring like a Camry or Accord. Note the Acura Isn't RWD based.

A possible lower end competitor could be a v6 loaded Subaru Legacy, but it will lack power.

Infinity G37 Could be competition, I honestly don't know how reliable they are. Nissan isn't known for the best reliability.
I don't even want to consider used German cars They can't compete in reliability with Japanese cars. Heard that from a lot of mechanics and owners.
I don't like the look of Camry or Accord, so they are not on my list) Acura, apart from RSX, I hate their front grills. They are ugly in my opinion - too big, too shiny.
I'm now in love with Lexus GS I hope I'll have patience to find a good one!
Old 04-10-19, 12:03 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

I don't even want to consider used German cars They can't compete in reliability with Japanese cars. Heard that from a lot of mechanics and owners.
I don't like the look of Camry or Accord, so they are not on my list) Acura, apart from RSX, I hate their front grills. They are ugly in my opinion - too big, too shiny.
I'm now in love with Lexus GS I hope I'll have patience to find a good one!
Smart for not going down the German car route... My wife's '13 Cayenne S is already falling apart at the seams, and that's with routine maintenance... First the transfer case went out, then the Bose amp, now the fuel level gauge is going bonkers, and we're still fighting with Porsche to get the rattling brakes fixed. Just replaced the rear hatch module completely ($4,000), and it's failing again. Thank god for warranties, but yeah, horrible cars... The 460 is well worth the wait, trust me. Can't go wrong with a 350, but there's just a smoother, more solid feel to the 460 all around. When I moved to Houston last year (worst decision of my life), I drove all the way from Washington State, and averaged 28 MPG with a full trunk and 3 guys in the 225-275 pound range. Super comfortable up front the entire way cruising at an average of about 80 MPH.
Old 04-10-19, 12:12 PM
Lextazy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TRD_Power
Smart for not going down the German car route... My wife's '13 Cayenne S is already falling apart at the seams, and that's with routine maintenance... First the transfer case went out, then the Bose amp, now the fuel level gauge is going bonkers, and we're still fighting with Porsche to get the rattling brakes fixed. Just replaced the rear hatch module completely ($4,000), and it's failing again. Thank god for warranties, but yeah, horrible cars... The 460 is well worth the wait, trust me. Can't go wrong with a 350, but there's just a smoother, more solid feel to the 460 all around. When I moved to Houston last year (worst decision of my life), I drove all the way from Washington State, and averaged 28 MPG with a full trunk and 3 guys in the 225-275 pound range. Super comfortable up front the entire way cruising at an average of about 80 MPH.
Thank you. I'm sorry for the Porsche. $4000 for a part! OMG!
460 will be the first on my list, 350 the second. Whichever comes first in a good shape though.
Old 04-10-19, 05:06 PM
potatomon
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm still undecided whether I like AWD. It's crazy in the snow but you can do without it just with winter tires and vsc.

Next time I'd probably get a rwd 350.
Old 04-10-19, 07:15 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 785 Likes on 678 Posts

I raced a buddys 4.6 v8 mustang GT its around 08-2010 model, I straight walk away from him on a dig with my 08 GS350 awd. The 350 is no slouch, its pretty close to a 460. I also raced our LS460 and the 350 left that aswell. Maybe my engine at the factory was built by an ex-ferrari tech
Old 04-11-19, 11:52 AM
Lextazy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by potatomon
I'm still undecided whether I like AWD. It's crazy in the snow but you can do without it just with winter tires and vsc.

Next time I'd probably get a rwd 350.
I would still like to get a AWD. Safety first
Old 04-11-19, 11:53 AM
Lextazy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ibidu1
I raced a buddys 4.6 v8 mustang GT its around 08-2010 model, I straight walk away from him on a dig with my 08 GS350 awd. The 350 is no slouch, its pretty close to a 460. I also raced our LS460 and the 350 left that aswell. Maybe my engine at the factory was built by an ex-ferrari tech
Nice to hear that
Old 04-12-19, 12:36 PM
aznxenon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The GS350 will be much easier to find than the IS350, most available are the 250's and they're way underpowered. For the most bang for the buck the GS350 is best, not to mention it'll last you much longer as you get older and need a more mature car.

IS350 will be funner to drive tho, the GS is heavy. Look for a '08+
Old 04-12-19, 01:45 PM
Lextazy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by aznxenon
The GS350 will be much easier to find than the IS350, most available are the 250's and they're way underpowered. For the most bang for the buck the GS350 is best, not to mention it'll last you much longer as you get older and need a more mature car.

Thank you.
I'm looking for '10+. Do you or anyone know the difference between '08-'11? I've heard that starting from '10+ there is a bluetooth for audio streaming. That is the main reason I'm looking for '10-'11.
Old 04-12-19, 02:09 PM
lectric74
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by aznxenon

I don't know about funner, the IS is slightly more nimble, but the weight difference is pretty negligible at about 300lbs on the high end. There is only a .1 second difference in 0-60 between the two, that's pretty comparable. Fun is subjective, I love how much fun my GS is to drive, and my head isn't bouncing off the sunroof.

Quick Reply: Lexus GS 350 or IS 350? Pleaseeee, help!