GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Lexus GS 350 or IS 350? Pleaseeee, help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-19, 12:51 PM
Lextazy
Pole Position

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts
Cool Lexus GS 350 or IS 350? Pleaseeee, help!

Hello everyone.
I'm planning to buy a used 2008-2010 Lexus GS 350 or IS 350.
Things I'm looking for in a car - sporty enough to make short distance overtakes, but smooth enough for long trips. I currently drive an Acura RSX auto on which I feel every imperfection on the road. I love it's sportiness, handling and the car itself. Driving in the city is fun, but when I need to take a long trip, it's bad. This is a big "why" I want to upgrade. On the other hand, I don't want to lose much in performance if I choose GS over IS. Look wise I like both as much.

I know that IS 350 is sportier that GS 350, but how about long trips? I also know that GS 350 is smoother than IS 350, but how about it's sportiness? It's hard for me to make a decision.
If I choose GS over IS, will I lose much in power? Or if I choose IS over GS, will I lose much in comfort ride?

I would really appreciate if you could give your opinion in choosing between those two. Why would you choose GS over IS or vice versa.

Thank you!
Old 04-09-19, 01:35 PM
lectric74
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I looked at both before buying my GS, and I wouldn't change a thing. Sporty, fun to drive, quick moving when overtaking, and comfortable for long trips. Did a 1500 mile road trip a couple of weeks ago and honestly the first day after 12 hours in the car it didn't feel like we'd been driving more than an hour. I ended up going with the GS for the better ride, and greater space. I still want an IS, but now I can focus on getting me an IS-F that I can run on the track.
Old 04-09-19, 01:50 PM
gs350fan
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Lextazy
Hello everyone.
I'm planning to buy a used 2008-2010 Lexus GS 350 or IS 350.
Things I'm looking for in a car - sporty enough to make short distance overtakes, but smooth enough for long trips. I currently drive an Acura RSX auto on which I feel every imperfection on the road. I love it's sportiness, handling and the car itself. Driving in the city is fun, but when I need to take a long trip, it's bad. This is a big "why" I want to upgrade. On the other hand, I don't want to lose much in performance if I choose GS over IS. Look wise I like both as much.

I know that IS 350 is sportier that GS 350, but how about long trips? I also know that GS 350 is smoother than IS 350, but how about it's sportiness? It's hard for me to make a decision.
If I choose GS over IS, will I lose much in power? Or if I choose IS over GS, will I lose much in comfort ride?

I would really appreciate if you could give your opinion in choosing between those two. Why would you choose GS over IS or vice versa.

Thank you!
You should try both. The IS felt a bit lighter to me. It also has a 4.10 ratio (which is very aggressive, and turns more on the highway!) vs the 3.73 in the GS.

If you plan on rear passengers, get a GS. I also prefer a larger car for safety. I think the Chassis is very similar, just stretched.
Old 04-09-19, 01:51 PM
Lextazy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lectric74
I looked at both before buying my GS, and I wouldn't change a thing. Sporty, fun to drive, quick moving when overtaking, and comfortable for long trips. Did a 1500 mile road trip a couple of weeks ago and honestly the first day after 12 hours in the car it didn't feel like we'd been driving more than an hour. I ended up going with the GS for the better ride, and greater space. I still want an IS, but now I can focus on getting me an IS-F that I can run on the track.
Thank you. That really helps. But wouldn't you suffer on long trips if you buy an IS and especially F?
Old 04-09-19, 01:53 PM
Lextazy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gs350fan
You should try both. The IS felt a bit lighter to me. It also has a 4.10 ratio (which is very aggressive, and turns more on the highway!) vs the 3.73 in the GS.

If you plan on rear passengers, get a GS. I also prefer a larger car for safety. I think the Chassis is very similar, just stretched.
I don't plan on rear passengers yet, may be sometime in the future. But how smoother the GS is compare to IS?
Old 04-09-19, 01:55 PM
lectric74
Rookie

I wouldn't be making long trips in an IS, that would be more my fun car for running to the local road course/autocross/drift track. It would be a fun car while the GS will continue, it has 180k on it now, to be my driver for the longer trips. Even my wife riding in the back said it was far more comfortable than anything else we'd been in.

Edit: on this road trip I average 27 MPG overall, with tank averages between 25-33 MPG. I did this with an average cruise of 77 MPH.
Old 04-09-19, 01:59 PM
Lextazy
Pole Position

That's nice. As for me, I will have to have only one car at the moment. And it's a bit hard to decide which one I hope you'll get a nice IS-F!
Old 04-09-19, 02:01 PM
lectric74
Rookie

It will be a while before I do any more cars, but when I was comparing the performance was comparable between the two, but the GS was far more roomy and comfortable in my opinion. I drove around 15 different IS and 5 different GS, but after driving a GS I just couldn't accept the compromise of the IS size.
Old 04-09-19, 02:01 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Look for a GS460. If you can't find one, go with the GS350.
Old 04-09-19, 02:13 PM
Lextazy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lectric74
It will be a while before I do any more cars, but when I was comparing the performance was comparable between the two, but the GS was far more roomy and comfortable in my opinion. I drove around 15 different IS and 5 different GS, but after driving a GS I just couldn't accept the compromise of the IS size.
I now lean more towards a GS )) I just hope I won't lose much on performance.
Old 04-09-19, 02:14 PM
Lextazy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TRD_Power
Look for a GS460. If you can't find one, go with the GS350.
I was thinking about GS 460 as well, but it's harder to find and pricier.
Old 04-09-19, 06:50 PM
potatomon
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Longer wheelbase=smoother ride.

Gs is awesome for the highway you can drive super fast 140-150km/h and use 8-10L/100km

The gs only looks bulky it handles very sporty, excels at highway turns like long smooth ramps and whatnot. Suspension is same as IS.

Im just a tall person I felt like I needed a bigger car. I can lie down AND STRETCH MY LEGS if I want.

I figured with the traffic and all you're not driving at the limit so the benefits of a smaller lighter car become useless.

Last edited by potatomon; 04-09-19 at 06:55 PM.
Old 04-09-19, 07:07 PM
potatomon
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

GS can do highway overtakes just fine. If you make it drop1 gear you will pass the person 2 gears it's game over you're leaving everybody in your mirror.
Old 04-10-19, 06:20 AM
Lextazy
Pole Position

Thank you Potatomon. And thank you all guys. I'll be looking for GS 460 or 350 now. That's all I need in a car - smooth long trip rides and sportiness. And of course a reliability and Lexus has that.
Hopefully, I'll find one soon. Will post pictures as soon as I get it! Wish me luck!
Old 04-10-19, 06:25 AM
scrmnws6
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Make sure to check out insurance on both.

I love my GS, but for some reason insurance on the GS models is much higher when comparing other Lexus models.

Quick Reply: Lexus GS 350 or IS 350? Pleaseeee, help!