GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2007 GS 350 Won't Start After Battery Was Replaced

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-19, 06:24 PM
LVMLexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 GS 350 Won't Start After Battery Was Replaced

Hi - 2007 GS 350, Battery died last fall. Since car was going to be stored over the winter, disconnected the negative cable from the battery and left if off over the winter. Installed a new battery today. When I connected the battery, the headlights came on, and the dash lights and display came on, but the car would not crank/start. The light on the push button is green when the brake pedal is pressed, but nothing happens with the button is pressed. I replaced the key fob battery, but it still does not activate the door locks. Tried letting the car sit for 15 minutes with the doors / hood closed - nothing. Tried disconnecting the battery and letting it sit, and then reconnected and still nothing. Battery was connected correctly and the battery is good. Searched the net and this forum, but was unsuccessful in finding anything to resolve the issue - may have missed it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-21-19, 04:17 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 779 Likes on 672 Posts

Sounds like the starter may have gone bad, it may just need a good tap with a piece of wood and a hammer.

But I would test this before replacing it, you will need to jack up the car and put it on jack stands. Go under the car with a volt meter or a test light. First make sure the main power wire is getting constant power, next unplug the smaller starter signal wire. You will need someone inside the car with the key fob have them press the starter button. If the light power on at the signal that more likely means you will need to replace the starter. If it does not light up then you have another issue.

For starters you can buy a used oem from salvage yards off a newer low mileage lexus GS or IS for like $50 bucks. Or a denso brand at rockauto for $100
Old 04-21-19, 08:02 AM
LVMLexus
Driver School Candidate

I don't think it is the starter as the issue started with the installation of a new battery. The headlights/tail lights stay on and will not shut off, and neither key fob (even after new batteries) will lock or unlock the doors. Checked the under hood ignition blade fuses and those all are ok. It seems like the system is locked up and that there should be a sequence to reset it - Just don't know what that sequence is.

Additional thoughts please?

Thank you
Old 04-21-19, 10:03 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

It could be badly worn out battery terminals, did you make sure to inspect them to make sure theres no broken inner straps. Have you tried testing the power levels of the new battery maybe its a weak battery.

If theres an issue with the security system and the key fob you can try pushing the starter button with the key fob itself. Theres a fail safe in the key fob for if the battery dies in the key fob it will still turn on the vehicle if you push it with the key against the button.
Old 04-21-19, 01:39 PM
LVMLexus
Driver School Candidate

Thanks ibidu1 -
I checked the battery cables and terminals - both in great shape. Car has less than 35,000 miles on it and has been babied its entire life. Engine compartment looks like new and all components are really clean.

I tried hold the key fob on the push start button - nothing.

What's strange is that the key fobs will not operate the door locks, and that the lights will not shut off.after connecting the new battery.

Hoping to talked to a service person at the dealership tomorrow to see if they have any additional ideas. Nearest dealer is about 40 miles from the car, so will check with other repair shops as well we need to get it towed in.
Old 04-21-19, 04:26 PM
potatomon
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

You're looking at spending money to tow it to them, pay for an hour or two of diagnostics, they should be able to go through the check sequence in that timeframe and hopefully nothing is really wrong with it then you will be out the door or if they do find a fault I'd not even trust them at first.. it's nothing for them to lie to you and say your car is toast and needs 10k of work in order to start

You can also try to figure it out yourself since it's probably a bug

You need a laptop with techstream. And Google translate This, This, And this

I believe the course of action would be to gather as much info as possible from the computers, reset the codes, hope it starts, if not diagnose relays, switches, and numerous systems involved in starting the engine, doing so in the sequence listed in the Lexus manual. No other way to fix this car unless you're a Lexus pro. My gut feeling says it will start after clearing some bs codes that it got from sitting so long. Good luck keep us posted.

Last edited by potatomon; 04-21-19 at 04:34 PM.
Old 04-21-19, 04:38 PM
potatomon
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

From what I understand if start is green the ig1 ig2 and st cut relays are on the next requirement for start is steering column must unlock. If there's a fault there the engine won't start
Old 04-21-19, 10:58 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LVMLexus
Thanks ibidu1 -
I checked the battery cables and terminals - both in great shape. Car has less than 35,000 miles on it and has been babied its entire life. Engine compartment looks like new and all components are really clean.

I tried hold the key fob on the push start button - nothing.

What's strange is that the key fobs will not operate the door locks, and that the lights will not shut off.after connecting the new battery.

Hoping to talked to a service person at the dealership tomorrow to see if they have any additional ideas. Nearest dealer is about 40 miles from the car, so will check with other repair shops as well we need to get it towed in.
When cars sit for awhile and not driven daily that creates funky issues. Like the starter brushes seizing/corrode and not floating properly. My guess is still the starter, because the security system gave you the green light, but it will not crank over. Im assuming the starter is getting a crank signal from the key starter. Like I mentioned before a simple volt meter or test light, jacking up the car to test the starter so you can rule that out for you.

It could also be the brake switch in the brake pedal assembly, try this put the car into neutral and see if it starts. If it starts then that brake switch is bad.
Old 04-22-19, 03:15 PM
adrock265
Rookie

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Get in car push ignition, then ouah again to power off the dash. Get out of car and open and close the driver door 3 times, then car will start.
Old 04-22-19, 06:49 PM
LVMLexus
Driver School Candidate

Get in car push ignition, then ouah again to power off the dash. Get out of car and open and close the driver door 3 times, then car will start.

What does ouah mean please? How do I power off the dash?

Thanks
Old 04-24-19, 07:20 PM
LVMLexus
Driver School Candidate

I stopped at the Lexus dealership yesterday and talked with a service manager. He suggested that car is in "accessory mode" and needs to be taken out of that mode before the car will start. And he suggested jump starting the car to ensure there is enough power to get the car started. This still doesn't explain why the key fobs won't activate the door locks. Hoping to spend some time working on the car on Saturday to see if I can get it running.
Old 04-24-19, 10:13 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LVMLexus
I stopped at the Lexus dealership yesterday and talked with a service manager. He suggested that car is in "accessory mode" and needs to be taken out of that mode before the car will start. And he suggested jump starting the car to ensure there is enough power to get the car started. This still doesn't explain why the key fobs won't activate the door locks. Hoping to spend some time working on the car on Saturday to see if I can get it running.
You shouldnt have to jump start a new battery, there is a fail safe on key fobs. If theres issue with the key fob, you simply press the fob against the starter button and should start the car.
Old 04-26-19, 01:29 PM
adrock265
Rookie

Ive had this happen on my car while its been down for awhile when im working on it. If you get in the car press the ignition so the cars dash lights come one then push the power button again to turn off the dash lights or "power down" the car then get out and clost the door. Fully open and close the door three times. Then get in the car and start it.
Also if you need to charge the battery take it out of the car and charge it, otherwise it will . get stuck in a loop trying to charge but the cars comp will kick in and stop the battery charging from continuing to charge. Fully charge the battery outside of the car, reinstall and follow the procedure i typed and you should be good.
The following 3 users liked this post by adrock265:
arnieosp (05-04-19), dkotanto (12-22-20), enshiu (05-02-19)
Old 04-26-19, 05:59 PM
LVMLexus
Driver School Candidate

Thank you adrock265! Did what you suggested and the car started right up, and the key fobs are now working again as well.

Really appreciate you sharing this information - you saved us from having to get the car towed 50 miles to the nearest dealership.
Old 04-27-19, 08:31 PM
adrock265
Rookie

Sweet!!! super stoked it helped you out

Last edited by adrock265; 04-27-19 at 08:36 PM.

Quick Reply: 2007 GS 350 Won't Start After Battery Was Replaced