GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Audio Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-19, 10:13 PM
golephish
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Audio Upgrade

Hello All! Thanks for any help! I have been searching through the threads before bugging yall, but I just want some advice! I am planning on installing a SUB or Subs to a newly purchased GS 350 2008 - it has the nav system, but not the Mark audio package. My silly question, can I fit in a JL box 2 12s , and if so, does the head unit need to be replaced or is there any hope on adding subs to the delightful sound that is present? If so, any recommendadtions or parts lists I can look at before I go to the shop tomorrow? Many Thanks!
Old 06-04-19, 12:26 PM
Clemsonee
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are going JL Audio look at the JL HD110W6 with an XD 600.1v2 combo. I put this setup in my 2017 ES350 and it hits extremely hard and I still have most of my trunk. I use the factory head unit. I tapped into speaker outputs running the factory sub and fed those into a Line Level converter to feed the amp. Check this link out for pics

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...acement-2.html
The following users liked this post:
LexNYC83 (06-14-19)
Old 06-04-19, 09:59 PM
golephish
Driver School Candidate

looking now many thanks! What's the cost on this, did you self install? I am EEK about pulling out the head unit as I am car audio noob. I went to get some quotes at a local shop and they wanted 1100 for 2 12s , amp, dsp but I wasn't familar with the brand . they stated they stopped using JL when JL m,oved to China. No Idea!
Old 06-04-19, 10:34 PM
golephish
Driver School Candidate

Also he said that I needed to tint my windshield as this was a problem ... also sorry to be too new, but what is the in line converter? it hits hard with just the one 10 and is still clean?
Old 06-05-19, 10:20 AM
Clemsonee
Rookie

I had my stereo shop do the amp and sub install. Custom Car Stereo in Charleston SC. Cost was $1800 out the door.

https://www.jlaudio.com/ho110-w6v3-c...-systems-93310

https://www.jlaudio.com/xd600-1v2-ca...plifiers-98604

https://www.audiocontrol.com/car-aud...-upgrade/lc2i/ This unit converts the speaker signal coming into the factory speaker to RCA's for your amp. You can tap into the factory wire without splicing using some adapters. Check from a company called Metra they make a lot of adapters.

I ran the above with factory system (minus the 8" factory sub) it sounded ok. I have just replaced the 3 front dash with 4" infinity reference and the two front door with Infinity 6x9's and that made a great improvement in sound quality.

I would not worry about replacing the factory head unit right yet. Adding subs will give you more bass but if you want to ensure the subs are amplified correctly with an adequate amp and the gain is set properly to ensure you don't over drive the subs

What series JL sub did they quote W0, W3, W6? I had 2 12" W0's in a Nissan Pathfinder in a sealed box. The 10" W6 is just a good in much less space.

I am guessing for 1100 it is the W0 for two 12" with an amp. What type of box (sealed, bandpass, etc? What was the make and model of the amp?
The following 2 users liked this post by Clemsonee:
Boomin (06-05-19), cbates74 (05-27-22)
Old 06-05-19, 10:20 AM
Clemsonee
Rookie

Not sure what tinting your windshield would do for sound quality or improvement
Old 06-07-19, 02:06 AM
golephish
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Clemsonee
I had my stereo shop do the amp and sub install. Custom Car Stereo in Charleston SC. Cost was $1800 out the door.

https://www.jlaudio.com/ho110-w6v3-c...-systems-93310

https://www.jlaudio.com/xd600-1v2-ca...plifiers-98604

https://www.audiocontrol.com/car-aud...-upgrade/lc2i/ This unit converts the speaker signal coming into the factory speaker to RCA's for your amp. You can tap into the factory wire without splicing using some adapters. Check from a company called Metra they make a lot of adapters.

I ran the above with factory system (minus the 8" factory sub) it sounded ok. I have just replaced the 3 front dash with 4" infinity reference and the two front door with Infinity 6x9's and that made a great improvement in sound quality.

I would not worry about replacing the factory head unit right yet. Adding subs will give you more bass but if you want to ensure the subs are amplified correctly with an adequate amp and the gain is set properly to ensure you don't over drive the subs

What series JL sub did they quote W0, W3, W6? I had 2 12" W0's in a Nissan Pathfinder in a sealed box. The 10" W6 is just a good in much less space.

I am guessing for 1100 it is the W0 for two 12" with an amp. What type of box (sealed, bandpass, etc? What was the make and model of the amp?

I think he mentioned phoneix or golden something ... I really want to pull the trigger on the JL box that's exzactly what I had in my old car. I see the amp and box, and the line out ... were you able to simply install by tapping into the sub from the trunk? what model number for those infinity? I am trying to put a part list together as that sounds just like want I need
Old 06-07-19, 05:52 AM
Clemsonee
Rookie

Originally Posted by golephish
I think he mentioned phoneix or golden something ... I really want to pull the trigger on the JL box that's exzactly what I had in my old car. I see the amp and box, and the line out ... were you able to simply install by tapping into the sub from the trunk? what model number for those infinity? I am trying to put a part list together as that sounds just like want I need
yes the speaker cable going into the factory subwoofer is "tapped" into and fed as the input to the line converter. I know the 10" W6 box is more expensive than other subs but trust me it really hits hard in the back of my ES350

Get the stereo shop to write down the exact part numbers here and the forum members can give you opinions on what they are quoting you.
Old 06-07-19, 07:28 AM
Clemsonee
Rookie

Here are the part numbers on the Infinity's

Infinity Reference REF-4032cfx 4"

Infinity Reference REF-9632ix 6x9"

Crutchfield should be able to send you wiring adapters, not sure if they are the same for your make/model lexus as my 2017 ES350
Old 06-07-19, 10:50 AM
golephish
Driver School Candidate

Thank you very much !
Old 06-14-19, 11:09 PM
golephish
Driver School Candidate

went with 4 jbls for the door and a DB 1000 amp and custom wave box from a local shop. now that the sound is done, if I can only figure out these silly door locks that got changed from the battery being off ... OH man and water in the passenger side I fear is either the moonroof or probably the AC! so many threads to read, rock on!
The following users liked this post:
cbates74 (05-27-22)