GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2006 Lexus GS300 Wont Shift 5th and 6th

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-19, 10:00 AM
Ae86rob
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well still waiting on my ecu to return been 2weeks+ waiting they said the transmission circuit board was completely bad an that the repair was successful as soon as i recieve an install it ill let you k ow the outcome on it!
The following users liked this post:
ServerTech (09-03-19)
Old 09-04-19, 01:08 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

your transmission is toast, just get a used one from the bone yard for 500 bux and call it a day, you’re just gonna throw money at it for no reason if you keep it the way it is.
Old 09-04-19, 02:18 PM
Ae86rob
Driver School Candidate

Find me one for $500 thats not ( toast ) out of the junk yard
Old 09-05-19, 07:49 PM
Ae86rob
Driver School Candidate

Well got my ecu back from SIA looks like same **** same issues nothing has changed. Ryan at sia told me the had to do a full rebuild on the trans circuit board side that is should be fine now lol yeah right! I opened my ecu an took before an after pictures of repair an it looks identical as if nothing was ever even done. Thinking screw the warranty who cares is only $112 bucks let me see if the did anything! Yeah looks identical to when i sent it out so i guess those warranty stickers are expensive lol guess ill be installing a new transmission soon. P.s i think SIA ELECTRONICS is a big scam

after picture
Old 09-05-19, 07:51 PM
Ae86rob
Driver School Candidate

Before pictures
Old 09-05-19, 07:53 PM
Ae86rob
Driver School Candidate

I got a bunch of up close shots very detailed an you can really see it is exactly the same board not even retouched hell i dont even think it was opened. But they did call me really fast to tell me it was repaired an i had a balance to pay lol
Old 09-16-19, 01:56 PM
CBarnes
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans will not shift into 5th or 6th gear

My transmission will not shift into 5th or 6th gear I had a scan ran on transmission an it showed solenoid c stuck off.. I was wondering is there a guide or book that can show me how to change all the solenoids.. 2006 Lexus gs300 220k miles on it
Old 12-02-19, 07:44 PM
Is35006
Driver School Candidate

Default 06 Lexus is 350 P0761 LEXUS - Shift Solenoid 'C' Performance

Originally Posted by Koreatown
How much damage am I doing to my car driving on the highway using only 4th gear. 80mph 4,000 rpm?

This is the code I am getting on my Lexus is350 p0761 and when it wouldn't shift passed 3rd gear I would..
1. Disconnect the battery reset it
2. Before driving my car I would put in Manuel drive (s) shift all the way to 6th gear and it would shift okay. But if it didn't want to shift past 3rf gear I would have to down shift to 3rd then up to 4 the and it would shift then you shift as normal 5 then 6th.

I myself had my transmission checked out and I was told by a shop that my valve body is bad. $2100 but I was just thinking of getting a another transmission I ended up finding one for $700 same year and model with 45-50,000 miles and the shop would install it for$850.
Old 12-05-19, 05:59 PM
bossens
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Why roll the dice on a used tranny for $1550? The shop will fix your for $2100, right?

Whats the debate...have the shop repair it and get a warranty from them and call it a day.
Old 02-12-22, 04:31 PM
DmitryS
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having driven Lexus gs300 2006 for a couple years, being a technician myself, and having researched this issue for a while, I think I might have a plausible explanation for the above issue.
as you know your Lexus 300gs has a pretty impressive gas mileage. Something around 30-35 mpg on highway. It was achieved by making the compression rings on the pistons very thin. The downside of having thin compression rings is that they start sticking much sooner than expected due to carbonization of the direct injection engine.
When that happens, you start getting more engine oil blowback into the cylinder. This is why many of the owners got the expensive engine rebuild to get rid of the carbonization. Oil slowly clogs and lowers the efficiency of your catalytic converter. This is when you start getting the fault codes telling you that the efficiency of the catalytic converter is below the needed level. Some start changing out the O2 sensors thinking they are the issue. But the problem persists because catalytic converter needs to be replaced. Next, your computer ECU triggers the VSC fault and which eventually leads to the limp mode, where the car stops shifting into higher gear. That's why changing O2 sensors, shift solenoids, flushing transmission fluid, rebuilding transmission, and resetting ECU software doesn't solve the issue. However, simply erasing the fault codes - does, until the system discovers the issue again and the problem comes back.
Ideally, you would rebuild the engine to solve the stuck piston rings and prevent oil blowback into the exhaust system and replace the clogged catalytic converter. That unfortunately costs more than most of the cars cost by now.
I had this transmission not shifting into 4th gear issue intermittently for about a year and a half but today it would not go away even after I restarted the engine multiple times (it used to solve the issue before). I connected the scanner and found the usual faults - catalytic converter efficiency below 1 and solenoid A stuck in off position.
I erased the codes and the car immediately began shifting normally. I found a post where someone has been doing the same for a while regularly erasing the fault codes too.
I hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
Russjz (05-04-24)
Old 02-21-22, 01:24 AM
AnaJanak
Driver School Candidate

Hello I'm from small country from Europe. I have the same problem with ECU and p2757 code. I tried to find someone to reair the ECU but we don't have experts here. Do you know what exactly are they reapiring on the ECU, what part is wrong?
Old 02-21-22, 01:34 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 792 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by AnaJanak
Hello I'm from small country from Europe. I have the same problem with ECU and p2757 code. I tried to find someone to reair the ECU but we don't have experts here. Do you know what exactly are they reapiring on the ECU, what part is wrong?
Why not ship your ecu to SIA electronics with a prepaid return shipping envelope? They can bench test it to make sure it is ok, if you open your ecu up and try to fix things you may possibly damage the ecu. Then you will pay for a new or used ecu and pay to program your cars software/keys etc. Its just not worth risking it imo, considering SIA charges little to repair them.
Old 03-08-22, 05:31 PM
Thef00t
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey y'all,'06 gs300. I have been having the same problems. I got techstream and the cable working today and the thing i noticed in the live data was....the ecu was NOT reading the shifter position. The park, neutral, reverse, and sport up/down switches all registered but shifter position was always reading 1st gear. no com between the tranny and the ecu. Me being an electronics guy, I pulled the ECU and looked over the board.Visual inspection let me to this baby... It's call a TVS or Transient Voltage Suppressor used to filter high voltage or high frequency spikes.My next step is to flash the ECU.... wish me luck

Last edited by Thef00t; 03-08-22 at 05:37 PM. Reason: forgot picture
Old 03-09-22, 04:13 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 792 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by Thef00t

Hey y'all,'06 gs300. I have been having the same problems. I got techstream and the cable working today and the thing i noticed in the live data was....the ecu was NOT reading the shifter position. The park, neutral, reverse, and sport up/down switches all registered but shifter position was always reading 1st gear. no com between the tranny and the ecu. Me being an electronics guy, I pulled the ECU and looked over the board.Visual inspection let me to this baby... It's call a TVS or Transient Voltage Suppressor used to filter high voltage or high frequency spikes.My next step is to flash the ECU.... wish me luck
Cool but usually after ecu repair a reflash is not needed unless you use an ecu from another vehicle or a brand new
Old 04-11-22, 01:20 PM
banks87
Driver School Candidate

hi . did you solved the problem ?

Quick Reply: 2006 Lexus GS300 Wont Shift 5th and 6th