GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Grom VLine

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-19 | 09:21 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Default Grom VLine

Anyone installed a grom vline or vline lite into their 3rd gen GS? When I looked into it previously, there seemed to be a lot of gremlins, now I’m just looking to add CarPlay to my car. Thanks in advance
Old 12-05-19 | 11:31 AM
glemmen
Driver School Candidate

CarPlay would be great.....subscribing....
Old 12-05-19 | 12:28 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

I bought it, we’ll see how it goes
Old 12-05-19 | 02:30 PM
bmwjavier
Driver

HI, I have a GS 450h from 2007 and in a few days I will buy a Grom vline2, because the tesla screen does not convince me and the car's functions are lost. With the Vline2 no car functions are lost.
The following users liked this post:
cbates74 (01-17-20)
Old 12-05-19 | 03:12 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bmwjavier
HI, I have a GS 450h from 2007 and in a few days I will buy a Grom vline2, because the tesla screen does not convince me and the car's functions are lost. With the Vline2 no car functions are lost.
had the Tesla screen in my 2006 that was a non-nav non backup camera car. I was extremely happy with it.
MX73 (12-05-19)
Old 12-05-19 | 03:31 PM
bmwjavier
Driver

Originally Posted by RXGS
had the Tesla screen in my 2006 that was a non-nav non backup camera car. I was extremely happy with it.
But I have read that these Tesla screens give many failures and that they don´t work well.
You lose the consumption screen and also the reversing camera and more original functions....

I think GROM VLINE2 is much better option, right?
Old 12-05-19 | 03:55 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

But I have read that these Tesla screens give many failures and that they don´t work well.
You lose the consumption screen and also the reversing camera and more original functions....

I think GROM VLINE2 is much better option, right?
I never had any failures with mine, and was probably the 2nd or 3rd person on the forums to get one. The consumption screen was a small price to pay for everything else, and everything else worked as it had originally. I didn’t have an OEM camera so I can’t speak to that, but I was very happy with mine. Just comes down to what you want. I will admit, it was nice having a screen that big

only reason for GROM this time around was becuSe I wanted CarPlay as I have an iPhone, but with the android unit and the unlimited streaming data, it was still very good.

Last edited by RXGS; 12-05-19 at 04:00 PM.
MX73 (12-05-19)
Old 12-05-19 | 04:05 PM
bmwjavier
Driver

I never had any failures with mine, and was probably the 2nd or 3rd person on the forums to get one. The consumption screen was a small price to pay for everything else, and everything else worked as it had originally. I didn’t have an OEM camera so I can’t speak to that, but I was very happy with mine. Just comes down to what you want. I will admit, it was nice having a screen that big

only reason for GROM this time around was becuSe I wanted CarPlay as I have an iPhone, but with the android unit and the unlimited streaming data, it was still very good.
Carplay? But with the tesla screen you can't have carplay? I thought so.
Old 12-05-19 | 04:09 PM
MX73
Racer

I'm sorry. Where do you get your info? I have carplay on my tesla screen. You need to purchase a dongle to enable carplay/aa.

My Telsa screen has been reliable. I still have it and it's been a year. And as a matter of fact, I gain a lot more features over the stock unit. I didn't have backup cam, nav or BT audio streaming. Now I have all that plus more.

Also, the Grom Vline2 unit runs android but they have carplay built-in.

Last edited by MX73; 12-05-19 at 04:13 PM.
RXGS (12-05-19)
Old 12-05-19 | 04:18 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Look you asked for my opinion, and I gave it it to you. I owned the screen, and this time I went GROM vline. My 2006 was totaled, so I sold the screen.

This time around, rather than buying the screen again, I went with the vline. I didn’t know you could get CarPlay on the Tesla screen, But knowing that now, I’m definitely a proponent of the Tesla screen, despite having gone to the vline the second time around.
Old 12-05-19 | 04:33 PM
bmwjavier
Driver

Originally Posted by MX73
I'm sorry. Where do you get your info? I have carplay on my tesla screen. You need to purchase a dongle to enable carplay/aa.

My Telsa screen has been reliable. I still have it and it's been a year. And as a matter of fact, I gain a lot more features over the stock unit. I didn't have backup cam, nav or BT audio streaming. Now I have all that plus more.

Also, the Grom Vline2 unit runs android but they have carplay built-in.
Look you asked for my opinion, and I gave it it to you. I owned the screen, and this time I went GROM vline. My 2006 was totaled, so I sold the screen.

This time around, rather than buying the screen again, I went with the vline. I didn’t know you could get CarPlay on the Tesla screen, But knowing that now, I’m definitely a proponent of the Tesla screen, despite having gone to the vline the second time around.
But has anyone already installed the Vline? Anybody has tested it?

Do you think it is better to install a tesla screen or a vline2?

In the next video, they advise against buying the tesla screen:

Old 12-05-19 | 04:39 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

But has anyone already installed the Vline? Anybody has tested it?

Do you think it is better to install a tesla screen or a vline2?

In the next video, they advise against buying the tesla screen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9N1nzCffn8
yes, and there are videos saying the same for GROM vline for other cars. Rather than waiting to hear from here, I purchased it and I guess I’ll be the guinea pig, as I was for the Tesla screen.
Old 12-05-19 | 04:57 PM
bmwjavier
Driver

yes, and there are videos saying the same for GROM vline for other cars. Rather than waiting to hear from here, I purchased it and I guess I’ll be the guinea pig, as I was for the Tesla screen.
Thank you. I am undecided between the two. Maybe I wait a bit until you test the Vline and you can give me your opinion.
Old 12-06-19 | 02:34 PM
zakirrrr
Driver School Candidate

Thank you. I am undecided between the two. Maybe I wait a bit until you test the Vline and you can give me your opinion.
let me know how it goes.
Old 12-06-19 | 04:39 PM
rl9010
Lead Lap

I have had vline1 and vline 2. Both are great additions to modernize the screen. The best part is it is totally reversible. I use it strictly for car play and streaming videos (dashlinq interface) etc. (parked of course). I was their beta tester for 2011 system.
Beta tested vline1 and upgraded to vline2. I still have my vline one that seems to be developer unlocked, but the newer hardware in the vline2 makes the system boot a tad quicker.

Quick Reply: Grom VLine