GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

What are the cons for AWD?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-20 | 08:32 AM
caverman
Instructor

Default What are the cons for AWD?

I'm in the market for a 3rd Gen GS350 and a couple I've come across for consideration have been AWD. I've been passing them up because I can't see the need for an AWD in Texas. To me it's just a potential for extra gas consumption and extra cost when things go wrong. Obviously I would prefer to not purchase an AWD but I'm trying to decide if all the other check boxes match up should I go ahead and look at a car with AWD. What is your opinion on AWD or not?

Old 01-06-20 | 08:50 AM
Moisture
Lead Lap

-Heavier
-Hurts weight distribution
-Penalty in MPG
-Increased long term maintenance (transfer case)
- The natural RWD balance as originally designed with these cars is somewhat compromised
-Not as "balanced" or fun to drive

-With a good driver and winter tires, it is absolutely not necessary under 99.9% of circumstances
-
Old 01-06-20 | 09:26 AM
caverman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Moisture
-Heavier
-Hurts weight distribution
-Penalty in MPG
-Increased long term maintenance (transfer case)
- The natural RWD balance as originally designed with these cars is somewhat compromised
-Not as "balanced" or fun to drive

-With a good driver and winter tires, it is absolutely not necessary under 99.9% of circumstances
-
Thanks. These are the kind of things I was looking at and I guess kind of assumed already. I know it's going to be more fuel consumption and more expense due to potential parts issues down the road. That's why I've been passing up AWD right now and it sounds like I need to continue to pass on the AWD. It's just that I've come across a couple GS that pretty much hit all the check boxes I'm good with except for the AWD. I still have a 4 - 5 months before I really need to get a car for my son so I'll just keep looking.
Old 01-06-20 | 10:02 AM
Moisture
Lead Lap

Me personally I would avoid AWD with a passion because fundamentally you dont need it but at the end of the day my pick will be the car with the best drivetrain condition regardless of features or mileage. That would including standing behind the car while someone revs it to smell for any oil consumption, transmission shift quality, etc..
Old 01-06-20 | 05:29 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

I own a awd! the negatives, they vibrate when you lower the suspension. Some vibrate on stock suspension, its a small vibration at idle. The gas difference between the two is so minor, I think its 1 mpg less then 2wd. You can do burn out!

The positive when it rains, this car is planted. Driving over sand or muddy, is no problem.

I didnt want an awd, but was offered a deal I couldnt refuse. So if you find a good deal on a clean one go for it, they are good cars.
Old 01-06-20 | 06:02 PM
verly6565
Advanced

no no no ive had the rear wheel and and AWD NO DIFFERENCE IN GAS MILLAGE ON MY WAY TO WORK . i cant drive the rear wheel when it snows it sucks even when i had snow tires on it ,water pump failed at 67,000 miles ,my AWD HAS 162,000 MILES ON IT AND I REPLACED ONLY THE BRAKE PADS AND ROTORS ,MY AWD HAS NEVER SEEN A MECHANIC, MY REAR WHEEL SUCKKKKKKKKKS
, IM TRYING TO SELL MY REAR WHEEL DRIVE GS, BUT NOBODY WANTS IT

Last edited by verly6565; 01-06-20 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-07-20 | 06:13 AM
caverman
Instructor

Originally Posted by verly6565
no no no ive had the rear wheel and and AWD NO DIFFERENCE IN GAS MILLAGE ON MY WAY TO WORK . i cant drive the rear wheel when it snows it sucks even when i had snow tires on it ,water pump failed at 67,000 miles ,my AWD HAS 162,000 MILES ON IT AND I REPLACED ONLY THE BRAKE PADS AND ROTORS ,MY AWD HAS NEVER SEEN A MECHANIC, MY REAR WHEEL SUCKKKKKKKKKS
, IM TRYING TO SELL MY REAR WHEEL DRIVE GS, BUT NOBODY WANTS IT
Snow is not an issue for me. We haven't had any kind of substantial snow on the road in years. Literally, the last time I remember having to drive in snow at all was about 5 years ago...no joke.

Out of curiosity, what kind of gas mileage are you seeing between the two versions?
Old 01-07-20 | 06:21 AM
Moisture
Lead Lap

My experience with RWD in the snow has been not only reassuring but incredibly exciting to say the least. Granted it was a BMW 528i where you can turn traction control 100% off, but that car was planted as hell when equipped with winter tires - and a complete death trap without. The way you're able to effortlessly control rear axle angle with a delicate balance of throttle and steering application on a whim was satisfying and very exhilarating to say the least.

Ultimately your driving skill will go quite a long way - but only as far as your snow tires are willing to go.
Old 01-07-20 | 08:32 PM
Moisture
Lead Lap

Another big benefit with RWD is the ability to install an LSD.
Old 01-08-20 | 04:56 AM
lswenson5
Driver School Candidate

My experience with AWD was 3-4 mpg difference on majority of my driving. I am in Oklahoma, and like you; not much need for AWD here. I am now in a RWD gs350. Lots of fun factor. No regrets for me.
Old 01-11-20 | 04:46 PM
drgerry
Pit Crew

I test drove one, hump at the accelerator pedal severely hinders foot comfort.
Old 01-11-20 | 09:55 PM
energie8
Instructor

What do you guys mean by "fun" ? I went from awd to rwd and I don't feel the big difference except some mini wheel spins in the summer lol.
Old 01-12-20 | 10:04 AM
pvsmith
Driver

I have a GS350 AWD and there is one really big drawback: if you have a flat and your tires are worn by more that 2/10 inch, I promise you that you are going to have to buy all new tires around or buy a new tire and get it shaved off. My wife has a Subaru AWD and we ran into this during the summer. She had a flat and we replaced it with a new tire, but the new tire really pulled, and we could tell the transmission/drive train not sounding right at all. She took the new tire to a dealer who shaved off about 20,000 miles and it was perfect after that. When I bought my four new tires at Discount Tire, I paid a couple of hundred extra for a lifetime warranty that if they can't put a new tire on my car without replacing them all, they will replace them all free.
Old 01-12-20 | 07:06 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by pvsmith
I have a GS350 AWD and there is one really big drawback: if you have a flat and your tires are worn by more that 2/10 inch, I promise you that you are going to have to buy all new tires around or buy a new tire and get it shaved off. My wife has a Subaru AWD and we ran into this during the summer. She had a flat and we replaced it with a new tire, but the new tire really pulled, and we could tell the transmission/drive train not sounding right at all. She took the new tire to a dealer who shaved off about 20,000 miles and it was perfect after that. When I bought my four new tires at Discount Tire, I paid a couple of hundred extra for a lifetime warranty that if they can't put a new tire on my car without replacing them all, they will replace them all free.
Maybe you purchased another name brand tire? Most awd system should be able to cope with 10-15% difference. I say the tire brand because not all tire are sized the same, even if they had the same sizes market on them.
The following users liked this post:
Moisture (01-12-20)
Old 01-12-20 | 08:40 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Originally Posted by ibidu1
Maybe you purchased another name brand tire? Most awd system should be able to cope with 10-15% difference. I say the tire brand because not all tire are sized the same, even if they had the same sizes market on them.
I have heard this as well. It’s not about the tire brand, it’s about the AWD system. My mom had as to get 4 new tires on her Subaru because 1 was bad.

Quick Reply: What are the cons for AWD?