GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Help... I may have fried something being an idiot.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-20, 07:59 AM
OverBored
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help... I may have fried something being an idiot.

Hi, guys.

Driving this morning just fine when when Check VSC, CEL and the rest appeared. I had this last year and had to replace wiring harness on injector 1 because of rodent damage. I assumed it was the same, but when I pulled codes just got P0300 alone, which was much broader a fault than last time. Anyhow, here's where things go South. After clearing the code, removing the OBD2 scanner and re-seating the gas cap, I tried to restart the car and it was a brick. The green start button came on with brake depressed, but zero sign of life. It would cycle thru the different button illumination modes (red, red, green) but in the ignition "on" position the dash didn't light up as usual... only CEL, but no other indicators. Door locks, headlights all worked, not to mentioned I'd just gotten home so the battery should have been fully charged. Only thing I can speculate is that I might have pulled the OBD2 scanner tool before turning ignition off. I've used a scanner 100x, but maybe I screwed up.

I let it sit for 30 minutes and went out to try again thinking divine intervention might have kicked in and the ignition "on" button position now lit up the dash completely, but when I tried to start I got a weak attempt to turn over and then nothing. Tried to use my portable jump starter, which was mostly charged, and nothing, but then showed it had been instantly discharged in the attempt. Car sits now with battery completely discharged (no lights, no door locks) and the start button showing constant green (no brake) and the CEL illuminated -- can't turn this off in any way.

Could removing the scan tool while ignition on instantly discharge/damage my nearly new, fully charged Interstate battery and then by extension, my jump start battery? Have I somehow fried my ECM? Any other brilliance come to mind. Can't imagine how this behavior would be related to P0300 in any way. So odd. Thoughts, anyone? Many thanks!
Old 02-07-20, 08:14 AM
OverBored
Driver School Candidate

PS -- Jump Start battery doesn't appear to be fried. Indicator light shows it is taking a new charge
Old 02-07-20, 09:37 AM
adrock265
Rookie

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

try this, remove battery from car and fully charge. ( when connected to car ecu will kick in and tell the charger battery is full and will be stuck in a loop) Reinstall battery and hook up. Get into the car and press ignition with out foot on brake to turn on dash light then shut off ignition. Get out of the car and open and close the door 3 times, then get in and car should restart.
Mind you this will fix the car being stuck in a loop but if there is a continued fault it may be something different. Hope this is a quick fix and it gets you rolling my guy. I swear this is not trolling, like 10 people omn the forum have had similar issues and this reset cleared it for them. All the best
The following 2 users liked this post by adrock265:
OverBored (02-07-20), sha4000 (02-07-20)
Old 02-07-20, 09:58 AM
OverBored
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by adrock265
try this, remove battery from car and fully charge. ( when connected to car ecu will kick in and tell the charger battery is full and will be stuck in a loop) Reinstall battery and hook up. Get into the car and press ignition with out foot on brake to turn on dash light then shut off ignition. Get out of the car and open and close the door 3 times, then get in and car should restart.
Mind you this will fix the car being stuck in a loop but if there is a continued fault it may be something different. Hope this is a quick fix and it gets you rolling my guy. I swear this is not trolling, like 10 people omn the forum have had similar issues and this reset cleared it for them. All the best
LOL! I appreciate the "trolling" disclaimer. When I read, "get out and open and close the door 3 times" I thought, this is new member hazing, for sure! I'm going to try it, but I'm checking for hidden video cameras before I do. Many thanks for the reply. Cheers!
Old 02-07-20, 01:39 PM
OverBored
Driver School Candidate

@adrock265 -- You're a genius! Got it started.

Pulled the battery, but the charger showed it had plenty of charge. Left it on for a while in maintenance mode, reconnected and followed your advice and it fired right up. Maybe the ECM just needed resetting, but the weird thing is that after a 40 minute drive just to make sure it was fully charged, testing all the
electronics reveals that my trunk release doesn't work and only my driver's side window will operate. I'd normally think fuse, but maybe that's the case for the trunk release, but shouldn't all the windows be on the same fuse? Toggled the window lock several times, but no joy. The other weird thing was that after removing and replacing the battery all my settings were preserved, but the idle was moving about a bit like it was re-learning, which you would expect.

Think I'll just run it over to my guys and have them test the battery. It's still under warranty. Think I'll leave out the bit about maybe removing the scanner tool with the ignition on. Anyone finding this post on search in the future: don't do that.

Many thanks, again for the assist!
Old 02-07-20, 01:47 PM
OverBored
Driver School Candidate

Trunk was valet button. Must have bumped it getting the manual out. And, I guess the windows have to be reinitialized manually. See, I can search...

Good news is the the Check VSC/CEL seems to be gone. Maybe it WAS the gas cap and I did at least get that right. (sigh)

Last edited by OverBored; 02-07-20 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Incomplete
Old 02-09-20, 09:00 PM
adrock265
Rookie

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Sweet glad it worked!!!