GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2006 GS Interior Foot Lights not working with Door

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-22, 05:04 PM
drgerry
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

So, I've had a lot of family issues and haven't been back on here. But, here's what's gone on since:
My left rear tail light went bad. Only a few LEDs working. So, I ordered another one and installed it. Interestingly, my floor lights began to work after that. They worked for several months, even with my light switch in the Auto position. But, a few days ago I opened the door one morning and . . . nope . . . they didn't come on. I disconnected the battery and they stared working again. But, as soon as I opened the door the next morning they wouldn't come on again. . . . this is weird.

If I open the door and then close it:
Light switch Off = floor lights Off
Parking lights or headlights on = floor lights On
Lights in Auto position = floor lights Off

(overhead lights always work correctly)
Old 06-01-22, 09:18 AM
CruzinGS
Pit Crew

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

What a frustrating failure to troubleshoot. My thought is that there is some possibility this is caused by something like the "body control module", which is a separate computer, and I believe is located behind the junction box in the passenger's side footwell (outboard side). The Toyota Techstream software has some ability to interact with the BCM, and it may be able to read fault codes that would help isolate the issue, or at least actuate the footwell lighting circuits so someone could test for voltage and determine if it was the circuit or the computer / module. It might seem weird to take it in to a shop to repair something as small as the footwell lighting, but if it is the BCM, there are a lot of functions that could stop working if the rest of the computer fails (like maybe the problem is a leaking capacitor that eventually ruins the whole board), so getting a professional shop to isolate and identify the real cause seems a little more reasonable.
Old 07-31-22, 04:31 AM
drgerry
Pit Crew

to add more sadness . . . . the courtesy outside mirror lights also don't come on when I get close.

Again, disconnecting the battery, and everything works correctly . . . . for a while. Sometimes days, sometimes months.

I've got another thread about removing the daylight sensor, maybe that's involved ??? who knows . . . . .
Old 08-25-22, 05:07 PM
drgerry
Pit Crew

still fighting this issue . . . what I don't understand is the foot lights and door handle lights are NOT connected to the headlight switch, according to the Lexus Users Manual. But, if the headlights or parking lights are ON, the footlights/door handle lights work. But, if the headlights are OFF or in AUTO, the lights don't work.

I'm still periodically disconnecting the battery and starting over . . . .