GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2006 GS Interior Foot Lights not working with Door

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-20, 04:10 PM
drgerry
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2006 GS Interior Foot Lights not working with Door

My 2006 GS300 interior foot lights door handle lights suddenly stopped coming on when I open the door. Mood lights work when driving.
Page 101 of Lexus manual says foot lights and door handle lights are supposed to come on when the door is opened. If it was a fuse I wouldn't think they would work at all.
Triage:
* if headlights are in Auto = lights don't come on with door
* if headlights/parking lights are ON = lights do come on (but not with door opening)
* if headlights are off = lights don't come on with door

Any input or suggestions will be appreciated.
Old 02-26-20, 08:59 AM
Blaze876
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 83 Posts

There is a sensor that is on the inside of the door sill (after you open the door, not on the door itself). Its a black rubber and spring loaded. I forgot the name, but it's a 15 dollar part on ebay for each side. If you search you'll find it.
The following users liked this post:
saynthng (04-06-20)
Old 02-27-20, 04:04 PM
drgerry
Pit Crew

If you're talking about the door light switch, well it works. All the seat lights work when you open the door. Just the floor lights and the handle lights don't (with the Headlight switch in Auto mode).
Old 03-07-20, 04:07 AM
drgerry
Pit Crew

Anybody?? Even dumb suggestions . . . .

I'm thinking about disconnecting the battery and trying to reset all the electronics
Old 03-22-20, 09:51 AM
drgerry
Pit Crew

Can someone else see if their floor and interior door handle lights come on upon opening the door? Maybe their not supposed to (even though the User Guide says they do)

Is there some sort of secret personal setting that may have gotten turned on/off that is stopping mine from working???
Old 03-22-20, 11:18 AM
drgerry
Pit Crew

Finally got around to working on this
I disconnected the battery and that fixed it.
Just had to reset everything, windows, moonroof, etc.

Problem solved . . .
Old 05-02-20, 05:15 PM
drgerry
Pit Crew

Well, need to resurrect this one. The foot lights went out again. I just happened to notice one day when I opened the door. I need to start keeping a record of what happens just before they go out. I will try the battery disconnect trick tomorrow . . . .
Old 05-02-20, 09:54 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 770 Likes on 664 Posts

I wonder if the power to the light has a weak ground. Only way to test this is with a test light at the source, unplug the plug and use a test light to see if you can spot the hiccups.
Old 05-03-20, 04:25 AM
drgerry
Pit Crew

All four floor lights and the interior door handle lights go out. Well, not actually "out", they work - but don't come on when opening the door. I need to find a wiring diagram to see where these lights are controlled from . . . .
Old 05-03-20, 09:02 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 770 Likes on 664 Posts

Ok its plausible loose ground or a lose wire in the module or relay. A wiring diagram is needed

I looked on ebay and found one of the lights and behind it, appears to be a module. Maybe if you unplug the light and remove the module the should help you diagnose the issue.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-LEXUS-...temCondition=4
Old 06-06-20, 09:49 AM
drgerry
Pit Crew

Still doing the same thing. The floor and interior handle lights stop coming on when opening the door. If I disconnect the battery, they work again. I've not found any pattern yet because it's not really noticeable except at night. Funny how the lights are on once you get in and close the door . . . . weird
Old 08-07-20, 04:49 PM
drgerry
Pit Crew

Opening the door . . . . floor and interior handle lights don't come on when the headlights are set to automatic. With the door open . . . If I turn the headlights to ON they come on. If I turn the headlights OFF, they come on. But, not if the headlight switch is set to auto.

If I disconnect the battery, and reconnect, they come on with the door, but only the first time.
Old 08-10-20, 01:36 AM
GS460V8
Driver

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by drgerry
Opening the door . . . . floor and interior handle lights don't come on when the headlights are set to automatic. With the door open . . . If I turn the headlights to ON they come on. If I turn the headlights OFF, they come on. But, not if the headlight switch is set to auto.

If I disconnect the battery, and reconnect, they come on with the door, but only the first time.

That sounds remarkably close to a fault with either a capacitor or transistor in a "control" unit they may be operating from. If this is a separate module that can be removed (someone may know), have you got a buddy with a GS you can swap it out with to prove the fault?
Old 04-24-21, 06:14 AM
drgerry
Pit Crew

OK . . . I've narrowed it down.

So, I disconnected battery to get everything working again. I took it off automatic and used manual for over a month and the floor lights always worked. I just recently put the light switch back on Automatic and, yep . . . . the floor lights quit coming on after driving it about 2-3 times.

So, it has something to do with the Automatic Lights control.

Question: is there any type of firmware update or "re-image" that can be done on the computer system?
Old 04-26-21, 06:00 PM
PauloFR
Pole Position

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

That's a very particular issue. Anyway, I believe only the dealer will have the tools to flash a computer, so the best to do is to ask them about that.

I think maybe a capacitor or a track is burnt inside the computer in charge of these systems. But only diagnosing the electronics would reveal the real cause.

Quick Reply: 2006 GS Interior Foot Lights not working with Door