GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Rearview Mirror Compass? is it made into the mirror?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-20, 09:48 AM
drgerry
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Rearview Mirror Compass? is it made into the mirror?

2006 GS300
My compass doesn't shine bright enough to see. I can barely see it at night. My mirror does not have a dark area where the compass is.
My question: Is the compass made into the mirror, or is it a LED behind the mirror glass.
I don't know if I need to look for another mirror, or can just replace the glass.
Old 03-24-20, 05:10 AM
canatto
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drgerry
2006 GS300
My mirror does not have a dark area where the compass is.
06GS300AWD owner here. Like many 3rd gen GS, the mirror in mine slowly developed this dark streak defect in the reflection plating behind the glass and looked dirty like siht after years. I finally replaced the dimming glass assembly in the mirror by myself. I just ordered a used mirror from a Nissan Altima off ebay as a donor and transplanted its glass to the GS mirror. The Nissan didn't have a compass so the glass has no window in it for the display. After the replacement the compass display is mostly invisible, only in the darkest night is there a faint hint of glowing green coming through if you really look hard for it. There were many used mirrors that have compass, but I concerned more about the display window being at a wrong place than driving without a compass.

If your mirror is spotless, chances are it's got the glass replaced in the past to remedy the dirty glass issue, and they put in a glass the way I did.
Old 03-25-20, 07:09 PM
drgerry
Pit Crew

That makes sense . . . So, what mirror should I look for that has the compass area that would fit?
Old 03-26-20, 06:54 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 779 Likes on 672 Posts

You can send it out for repair at this shop, ask them if they can fix it for you

https://www.radar-mirror.com/mirror_repair/
Old 03-26-20, 04:10 PM
drgerry
Pit Crew

OK, can someone help me out here . . . . is my 2006 GS300 with Nav, Compass, and Homelink supposed to have a square place on the mirror for the compass?
When I Google it I get all kinds of pics. Some have it and some don't.

Will someone who has an OEM rearview mirror post a pic for me?
Old 03-31-20, 05:43 PM
gs350fan
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

There are two kinds of mirrors - some do, some don't. Mine didn't, since it was a late model Nav car, but I really like that feature on other cars so I found one that has it and installed it.
The two mirrors looked identical, except for a graphic on one of the buttons. I think the rightmost button has a different symbol (I know the old one had an O )
Old 04-01-20, 03:51 PM
drgerry
Pit Crew

So, what you're saying is that mirrors WITH a compass do NOT have an identifiable square for the compass? My wife's 2007 RX350 has Nav and Compass. Her mirror has the dark square. That's why I'm thinking the 2006 GS mirror should also have the dark square for the compass.

I'm confused . . .. . . . . .
Old 04-01-20, 07:04 PM
gs350fan
Intermediate

2006 GS300
My compass doesn't shine bright enough to see. I can barely see it at night. My mirror does not have a dark area where the compass is.
My question: Is the compass made into the mirror, or is it a LED behind the mirror glass.
I don't know if I need to look for another mirror, or can just replace the glass.
So, what you're saying is that mirrors WITH a compass do NOT have an identifiable square for the compass? My wife's 2007 RX350 has Nav and Compass. Her mirror has the dark square. That's why I'm thinking the 2006 GS mirror should also have the dark square for the compass.

I'm confused . . .. . . . . .
I looked at both mirrors and there is nothing obvious in the mirror that really distinguishes them. I though my original mirror had a compass because I saw compass mirrors on ebay and they had no black square. I have older cars that have the black square though.

Again I have an 11.
Old 04-04-20, 11:00 AM
drgerry
Pit Crew

My wife's 07 RX350 has a non-mirrored square where her compass is. Google search for 2006 mirror shows both, ones with the dark area and ones without it.
I don't want to spend $120 for a mirror if it actually my LED compass has an issue. And, I don't want to by a $300 mirror assembly if all I need is the mirror glass.

I'm in a conundrum . . .
Old 04-04-20, 02:48 PM
gs350fan
Intermediate

My wife's 07 RX350 has a non-mirrored square where her compass is. Google search for 2006 mirror shows both, ones with the dark area and ones without it.
I don't want to spend $120 for a mirror if it actually my LED compass has an issue. And, I don't want to by a $300 mirror assembly if all I need is the mirror glass.

I'm in a conundrum . . .
Do you have a compass button (a compass icon, not a O)
Old 04-04-20, 04:43 PM
drgerry
Pit Crew

Let me make a short story long . . . .

My mirror was also loose at the joint just behind the mirror. So, after reading some of these posts I saw where people were taking the mirror apart while still mounted in the car. I thought I would do that and at least try to tighten the screw. Once I got it off I tested the compass. Yep, it's good and bright. So, I thought maybe I do have the wrong mirror and need one with the compass box. However, in the mean time Scott from Radar-mirror replied to a previous question and said the 2006 mirror does not have the box for the compass. Hmmm . . . . . So, I tightened the screw. At least got one thing fixed.

Well, of course while taking it apart many things fell out . . . duh! Once I figured out where everything went, I was able to get it all put back together. Word of advice . . . it is probably best to remove the mirror from the car, first.

Once, together I turned on the IGN and . . . woala! I could see Compass! But, it slowly faded out and got real dim. It's supposed to dim some at night, and the car was in the garage . . . so I shined my flashlight in the sensor. Yep, you guessed it . . . . it got bright again.

I will test it tomorrow in the daylight and report back. I'm thinking the daylight sensor is either going bad or the lens was dirty and it wasn't letting in enough light so the thing thought it was darker outside than it really was.

I digress . . .. . ..
Old 04-05-20, 09:50 AM
drgerry
Pit Crew

continued . . . .

Nope, in daylight it is still too dim to see. If I shine a light into the sensor it does get some brighter, but not as bright as it should be.

NOTE: according to the Lexus TSB L-SB-0043-16; the mirror SHOULD have a place for the Compass LED:

back of the mirror showing Compass LED area

I'm so confused . . . . . I don't know whether I've found a rope, or lost my horse . . . . . .
Old 04-07-20, 05:39 PM
drgerry
Pit Crew

Took mine apart and here's what I found. . . . . . . I don't have the area for the Compass to shine thorugh. Looks like the mirror glass was replaced with a non-compass mirror glass. My question: Is there another make/brand that will fit. Anything with "Lexus" on it is over priced.

Old 04-09-20, 04:33 PM
drgerry
Pit Crew

OK, let me ask again:

Is there another Make/Model mirror glass that will fit a 2006 GS300 OEM mirror? (auto dim with compass)

Radar-Mirror wants $119 for it. Surely, there's another Lexus or Toyota model that uses the same mirror . . . . .
Old 04-25-20, 03:38 AM
drgerry
Pit Crew

Anybody have any idea? Surely, this mirror was used in other Toyota/Lexus models . . . . . .

Quick Reply: Rearview Mirror Compass? is it made into the mirror?