GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

LED DRL Headlights on the GS

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-20, 02:40 AM
MobyD
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default LED DRL Headlights on the GS

I have these eBay headlights for about a year now. They look great, however, you do lose the AFS feature. You'll get the flashing AFS off light if you don't remove the fuse. I also noticed that the light beam itself doesn't go as wide as stock. It mostly just projects the light straight. The chrome bezel also is very cheap. It feels flimsy and the weather stripping always falls off. I ended up putting the stock chrome bezel back on. As for the DRLs, it still uses the high beams at half the voltage. It uses a completely different bulb(H1) compared to stock (9005). I didn't like the yellow look of the halogens so I put LEDs and wired the lights directly to the battery. If you don't, the lights will flicker like mad. The DRL is basically running at full power and is extremely bright at night. Might even be brighter than my low beams. I used 8000k RCP HIDS as low beams and they surprising match my LED fogs perfectly.

Stock Lights

Tried on yellow fog lights.

Low beams

DRLs + Parking lights

DRLs

The following users liked this post:
User 122922 (07-21-22)
Old 04-08-20, 05:21 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 795 Likes on 688 Posts

So the AFS light will go out if you pull the fuse on it? I didnt know that, I will try it out
Old 04-08-20, 06:52 PM
MobyD
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ibidu1
So the AFS light will go out if you pull the fuse on it? I didnt know that, I will try it out
It will get rid of the annoying flashing AFS light. It’s a 7.5 fuse under the driver footwell.
The following 2 users liked this post by MobyD:
ibidu1 (04-09-20), skur (03-04-24)
Old 04-09-20, 04:20 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MobyD
It will get rid of the annoying flashing AFS light. It’s a 7.5 fuse under the driver footwell.
Probably best to start the car and the headlights so they autofocus and then remove the fuse with the engine running. Wouldnt removing it while off just aim the headlights down?
Old 04-09-20, 05:18 AM
MobyD
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ibidu1
Probably best to start the car and the headlights so they autofocus and then remove the fuse with the engine running. Wouldnt removing it while off just aim the headlights down?
If you're talking about the OEM headlights, it should be at its default height when the car is shut off or when you're driving without an incline. If you remove the fuse the AFS doesn't cycle up and down when you start up the car since you've disabled it. Basically, it shouldn't affect the height.
Old 04-09-20, 08:32 AM
snakeo2
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Link to the ebay vendor? Also, is the overall light output comparable to OEM? my right headlamp needs replacing and prices are still in the $450+ for a decent used one on ebay/car-part.com
Old 04-09-20, 04:30 PM
MobyD
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by snakeo2
Link to the ebay vendor? Also, is the overall light output comparable to OEM? my right headlamp needs replacing and prices are still in the $450+ for a decent used one on ebay/car-part.com
I actually got mines used through bidding for around $230. The Brand is spyder. As for the light output, it’s not as good as stock. It’s definitely not bad though, especially for the price.
Old 04-09-20, 07:05 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MobyD
If you're talking about the OEM headlights, it should be at its default height when the car is shut off or when you're driving without an incline. If you remove the fuse the AFS doesn't cycle up and down when you start up the car since you've disabled it. Basically, it shouldn't affect the height.
I got into a small fender bender and destroyed one of the lights and replaced it with aftermarket that had afs already installed. The afs works in the aftermarket but every once in awhile it throws an afs code for the afs motor.

If I were to do it again I would do an oem headlight, I must have purchased from a not so great company.
The following users liked this post:
User 122922 (07-21-22)
Old 06-05-20, 07:40 PM
nomad82
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got mine in today, but I have a question. Did you retain the factory ballast?
Old 06-07-20, 08:38 PM
PauloFR
Pole Position

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Are you sure the DRL are the high beams run at half the voltage? I'm pretty sure there are 194 bulbs in the same housing serving that purpose and the 9005 bulb was off. I'll check.

I'm in the process of replacing the headlights too. I already read Chinese headlights reviews and they're mostly bad. I decided to go OEM. New or used I don't know now. I wanted to buy them from OELighting, which sells them incredibly cheap, but all headlights are out of stock since several months. I don't know if they went out of business, I sent them an e-mail and no response to date. And I checked used ones, only to find them with broken tabs, water penetration or faded lenses. So I may go to the dealer but God I gotta be obsessed with having a car that illuminates well to pay them the fortune they ask for. Will see.
Old 06-09-20, 01:28 AM
MobyD
Driver School Candidate

Compared to OEM, these are not as effective, and they lack the AFS feature. As for the DRLs, it uses the high beam bulbs (9005) at half the voltage. This gives the bulbs the ugly dim yellow color. The 194 bulbs at the corner of the high beam housing serve as the parking lights. They come on with the headlights or when you switch on the parking lights. These headlights replace the parking lights with the led strips. It also still uses the same high beam bulbs at half voltage.
Old 06-09-20, 01:33 AM
MobyD
Driver School Candidate

Yes, it requires that you reuse the OEM ballast. In my case, the ballast was never replaced, so the connector part wouldn't fit through the stock headlights. I had to cut the wires in order for it to come out.
Old 06-10-20, 07:16 PM
Flatdiesel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight issues

I hope I’m posting on the right thread. I’m having headlight issues. Not sure if it’s just bulbs or bad ballast possibly. My running lights work but when I turn my headlights on the driver side goes out, when I turn my high beams on, it comes back on, and also my driver side main headlight goes out on one setting as well, as you can see in the pics the driver side headlight is more of a blueish color as well. I’m not sure what’s up with them.. anyone had similar issues? I appreciate all feedback!

Blueish color on driver side

The one setting, see passenger on but driver off

Normal daytime running lights

Bright lights on
Old 06-11-20, 08:57 AM
PauloFR
Pole Position

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

A purple HID bulb is just a sign of a burnt bulb. More rarely, they can turn yellow, as on your passenger side. Your driver side marker bulb must just be dead, so you just need to replace the bulbs
Old 06-11-20, 01:48 PM
MobyD
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Flatdiesel
I hope I’m posting on the right thread. I’m having headlight issues. Not sure if it’s just bulbs or bad ballast possibly. My running lights work but when I turn my headlights on the driver side goes out, when I turn my high beams on, it comes back on, and also my driver side main headlight goes out on one setting as well, as you can see in the pics the driver side headlight is more of a blueish color as well. I’m not sure what’s up with them.. anyone had similar issues? I appreciate all feedback!

Blueish color on driver side

The one setting, see passenger on but driver off

Normal daytime running lights

Bright lights on
Your low beams are mostly likely going out. I’d recommend replacing the pair. The stock Phillips bulbs are going for $60 for each. If you’re on a tight budget, go for the bulbs on amazon. I paid $22 for mine and they’ll still going strong even after 2 years. Replacing the bulbs could be a pain, if you’ve never done it. There’s very little space to work with. As for your inner light, the 194 bulb is bad. You can find these for about $4 a pair on amazon. Replacing these are super easy. Don’t get it mixed up with your high beams as they are 2 completely different bulbs. You basically just need to locate the the long tab that sticks out and twist it counterclockwise.

Quick Reply: LED DRL Headlights on the GS