GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

O2 sensor heater control circuit fuse?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-21, 09:56 AM
TurdGS300
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had something similar. But I was getting codes P0136 P0137 P0138 P0157 and maybe P0158.

I took it to a shop to have everything checked over before they told me it was a sensor. They said, yes, your heater circuit is either very slow or doesnt respond at all. Quoted me 700$CAD per sensor, I managed to get some off another side Denso unit.

Both my downstream sensors were giving me a code; both were replaced. It has been 2 days since i've had it replaced and so far no other codes. both mine went at the same time so I was skeptical at first. I will update my original post after a week or so of driving. It's very annoying that it also turnsoff the traction control in the middle of winter.
Old 01-22-21, 07:54 PM
PauloFR
Pole Position

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

I don't believe it turns the traction control off; it has snowed all the time for a month in Quebec and the car would be unusable without VSC. The only difference I've noticed is when the car slips, there is a beep when the skid light comes on, although I didn't remember hearing any when I had the "Check VSC" message permanently displayed. But more importantly, one time, my mechanic broke an ABS sensor when he replaced a bearing, and I really had no VSC and no AWD when waiting for the part. And this time the car felt horrendously insecure and very different.

The message just comes on because the check engine does, because obviously, an engine problem doesn't have anything to do with the VSC and has no technical reason to prevent it from working. This is just a funky way some manufacturers design the computer error code management. I don't know why, but mind you, my first Volvo has turbo issues from time to time, and when it sets a code, it says "Reduced engine performance"... and at the same time similarly "Anti skid service required" too. Go figure.

I still don't have any CEL back either. Hope it stays like this, because it still cost a lot and to be honest, having only white and green on the dashboard is way nicer.
Old 01-15-23, 06:32 AM
gdvsbp
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PauloFR
Alright! Finally, yes, an update!

So I went to the dealership for my parking sensor, because my independent mechanic didn't in fact have the corresponding wiring diagram. At the same time I talked with the advisor about the O2 sensor. He told me bad parts are not that rare, even among the ones the dealership receives (i.e. which receive the strictest quality controls). And that they could replace it in an hour. I was astonished. I asked him about the location on the connector, the repair manual procedure I knew of etc., he told me not to worry, they've done it successfully and fried ECUs are extremely unlikely.

The dealership people were quite friendly and seemed very knowledgeable so at that point, I think I would trust him. Appointment taken for today. They replaced again the sensor.

And I have proof there's no need to take apart the center console and everything: my center console mess (secondary sunglasses, cables, McDonald's, Valentine and A&W vouchers but don't worry, I don't abuse them, I'm only 78 kg) was in the exact same position than when I let the car. And they didn't lie to me: it cost me the sensor + a hour of labor ($565+161). I have driven 100 km total after taking my car back, and no more CEL. I swear, do I regret having watched that video of a guy replacing the O2 sensor by itself with the car taken apart, making me think it was going to cost me 4 times the part in labor. This is why I instantly only saw replacing it myself as an option and proceeded this way. If I went to the dealer first, and they installed a bad new sensor, they would have replaced it for free thanks to the warranty on repairs.

I'll at least phone the dealership first next time something like this happens instead of trying to act smart.

At least this is finally OVER. And even if it wasn't cheap (the sensor is clearly overpriced), this doesn't bother me considering the expected repair costs of a luxury car. I don't take in account the price of the first sensor because it is my mistake. And the ECU is perfectly fine!
@PauloFR thanks so much for posting this saga of yours. I put a lot of money into repairing my 07 over the summer, and here I am a couple weeks away from needing to renew plates (therefore needing an Echeck), and the CEL comes on throwing codes for both sensors in bank 1. I suspected the worst (ECU, wiring harness woes) and have been paralyzed by that fear for a bit, but now I’m feeling more hopeful. Gonna call the dealership on Monday to get a quote on that replacement.
Old 07-31-24, 05:29 PM
DLACam
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Did you fix it? i have the same code P0157, BRAND NEW Denso sensors.