GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Grom VLine 2 Impressions/Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-20, 08:45 PM
WillkGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Grom VLine 2 Impressions/Feedback

I decided to update the infotainment system in my 2010 GS. After going back and forth between the Grom VLine 2 and a Tesla-style head unit, I ended up choosing the VL2. I saw threads about it with 4th gen and IS models with mixed reception, but I couldn't find much about how well it works for our 3GS. So I decided to pick one up and do a little writeup on the experience just in case anyone else is on the fence.

TLDR - I like it, but there's room for improvement

Pre-purchase impressions were positive. I wrote to Grom with a few questions which were promptly answered. This was important for me to feel comfortable about purchasing, since it's expensive and the lack of info about how well it works with 3GS models felt like I was going onto uncharted territory.

Post-purchase impressions were a little more mixed. The store stated the product was in stock with a promised processing time of 1-2 days and delivery date of about a week out. My order ended up taking over two weeks to process. I messaged back and forth with support a few times during that time and was told they were a little backlogged, which I guess is fine, but something really should have been posted on the site to manage my expectations as a customer. Once it finally shipped, it arrived at my door within a few days. Signature confirmation was required at delivery, but I wasn't told this when it was shipped. Communication could've been a little better..

Installation was easy. At first I was thinking about having it done professionally out of fear of breaking something on the car, but I'm glad I did it myself. Just had to follow a guide on pulling the radio out, plug in a few wires, and mount the unit in the glovebox. The glovebox even had a little removable cover that goes directly behind the radio for routing cables.

Now for some observations and thoughts about the device itself...

The metal casing is a bit soft and has more flex than I expected. Not necessarily a con, but just threw me off, since the outer finish made it look like a heavier gauge metal than it really was.

The depth of the unit just barely fits in the glovebox. I had to mount it to the underside of the compartment separator to make sure it wouldn't interfere with the door.

Initial setup was pretty straightforward, though the colors would invert during update reboots. Additional reboots via settings wouldn't help, but unplugging the main connector and plugging back in would correct it.

Firmware was at latest version, and there was a "VLine software" update available that was released the day I received the unit.

I've run into a few instances where the touch screen becomes unresponsive, but only for the VLine. Doesn't appear to "freeze up", since the clock in the corner would still work and plugging my phone in would activate Android Auto. It just doesn't let me interact with it. Only way to get it working again is to turn off the engine, then unplug and replug the main connector.

There's a green light inside the unit that stays on while the car is off, so it must continue to draw power without the engine running. I'm hoping this is some sort of low-power sleep state that doesn't drain my battery after a few days without driving.

The stock backup camera works. There were some notes in the product page stating there are "rare cases" where the VLine could interfere with it. If mine was one of those rare cases, that would've been enough reason for me to return the unit, so I'm glad to say mine has no issues.

The parking sensors work while the backup camera is active, but there's a bit of a delay. When the camera first appears, the sensor icon in the top right shows an error as though the sensors aren't providing any data. It eventually does work, but can take 5-10 seconds. Maybe this is just something in the software that could be resolved with an update. When moving forward and the front sensors are tripped, the full-screen park assist screen doesn't appear at all. All of this only occurs when the VLine is active. For instance, if I switch to climate or another audio input beforehand, the sensors have no delay and the park assist pops up normally for the front sensors. Warning beeps and the cluster screen parking indicators still work as well.

Pressing the steering wheel phone button doesn't bring up the phone interface unless it's to answer an incoming call. Not sure if that's a software oversight or a limitation of the head unit. It would be nice to have that switch to the phone UI like it does when in the stock infotainment screens.

I really wish it had an LTE chip so I could just throw a SIM card in and add it to my Verizon data plan. I've been looking for hotspot options that can activate when my car starts, but haven't had much luck. I'd really like to use the apps native to the VLine, but seems like I'll need to cobble something together.

To make it easier to connect with Android Auto, I removed the ashtray cigarette lighter and put a two port USB extension plug in there that runs to the unit in the glovebox. Looks really clean and can be hidden away under the ashtray cover when not in use. Really hoping they can add support for wireless Android Auto soon. I understand plugging in for long trips, but wireless would be really handy for short ones.

The interface is nice and does a good job modernizing the existing infotainment system. No noticeable slowdowns when transitioning between maps and audio apps. Android Auto works well, but has bugged out a couple times where I'd need to restart my phone or plug it back in. Not sure if that's a VLine thing or an AA thing.

So far daily usability is good. Most of the bugginess was in the initial tinkering and setup stage, but now that I'm just using it, it seems to work well.

The big selling point for me was keeping stock functions while providing updated map and media options, which it does deliver on. While the Tesla style units look impressive, I worried about it taking over every function in the center stack. At least if/when this thing bugs out or crashes, everything else still functions as though it's not even there. There's definitely some ingenuity with how this device adds features to an old system that was never intended to have them.

I'll continue to use it daily during my commute and add posts as anything else comes up.
The following 4 users liked this post by WillkGS:
edtbjon (12-09-22), FB911 (12-12-21), jtwong007 (05-26-23), Ompa (10-21-20)
Old 10-21-20, 02:05 AM
mrbondy
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Good to read a new review on this

Great feedback
Please keep updated if you get any more issues with having to replug the main connector
Old 10-21-20, 03:22 PM
WillkGS
Driver School Candidate

So far so good this week. Through the first few days of ownership, I had to unplug it twice and started wondering if it was going to become an almost-daily thing, but it hasn't "froze up" since Saturday, which coincidentally was after I installed the USB extensions. Been mostly using Android Auto and it's pretty smooth, but I did lose audio yesterday and had to unplug and replug my phone into the USB port. Maps and everything else still worked, but the music just stopped. Starting to think that's more of an AA thing. Based on some other articles, it looks like AA has its own host of weirdness. I'll be switching over to using a hotspot for a bit to try out the native apps and see how well they work.

If any other GS owners bit the bullet on a VL2, feel free to share your experience. From what I've read on the IS forums, these surely have (or at least had) a fair share of growing pains.
Old 10-22-20, 02:17 AM
mrbondy
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by WillkGS
So far so good this week. Through the first few days of ownership, I had to unplug it twice and started wondering if it was going to become an almost-daily thing, but it hasn't "froze up" since Saturday, which coincidentally was after I installed the USB extensions. Been mostly using Android Auto and it's pretty smooth, but I did lose audio yesterday and had to unplug and replug my phone into the USB port. Maps and everything else still worked, but the music just stopped. Starting to think that's more of an AA thing. Based on some other articles, it looks like AA has its own host of weirdness. I'll be switching over to using a hotspot for a bit to try out the native apps and see how well they work.

If any other GS owners bit the bullet on a VL2, feel free to share your experience. From what I've read on the IS forums, these surely have (or at least had) a fair share of growing pains.
Used AA on a head unit on my previous car and there definitely is weird things with it as stock
Old 10-22-20, 07:00 AM
MX73
Racer

Received 292 Likes on 226 Posts

I have used AA in other vehicles as well. The experience is not as smooth as carplay.
Old 10-23-20, 07:25 PM
WillkGS
Driver School Candidate

I spent a couple days commuting with just a hotspot and I think I like it a bit more than running through Android auto. No audio drops and I like the launcher they're using. The gps can take a while to initially connect, but I tried getting away with keeping the gps unit stored inside the glovebox, so I'll be doing some more testing with different placement to see if that helps.

App usability is a mixed bag from what I've tried so far. Plexamp, Waze, and Google Maps look great and clearly must have had Android head units in mind. There are nice weather and local radio streaming apps that came included with the unit that automatically update based on location. Sound quality varies though depending on the radio stream.

Sirius XM streaming app works, but it's made for portrait orientation, so it's clunky and difficult to navigate due to the top and bottom banners taking up most of the screen. Grom's "Now Playing" app is a godsend after finding a station to listen to, because it looks quite nice, definitely miles ahead of the stock audio info screen.

Update on the parking sensors... The sensor error delay in the top right while using the backup camera only seems to show for as long as the sensors' proximity detection hasn't changed. Like if I park two "bars" away from something, it updates as soon as it detects a distance change. So if it get closer, it will immediately update once I'm one bar away. Same thing if I'm backing out, it will update when I'm three bars away.

Overall I'm feeling a lot better about the purchase than I was last week. Now if I could just find a dedicated hotspot that can automatically turn on when my car starts...
Old 10-25-20, 08:06 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

WillkGS, thanks for posting your VL2 mod and feedback. I'm also thinking of doing this mod, but what worries me is the potential glitches that may come with installing it. I've read on the 4GS forum regarding the VL2 install, and there were mixed reviews. Gotta think fast, I have a group buy that will expire in under 2 hrs if I want to get the promo price.
Old 10-26-20, 08:27 AM
WillkGS
Driver School Candidate

That's what I was worried about too because it definitely has mixed reception with other models. With some of the glitchiness at the very beginning, I thought for sure I'd be sending it back, but at this time, I don't regret my purchase. Your mileage may vary though, since they do have disclaimers all over the Lex6 model store page saying the backup camera and parking sensors might not work with some cars while in "VLine mode". Maybe I got lucky.

Post-installation software support seems solid. I've had my VLine for less than a couple weeks and Grom released two new software updates already since then, so that tells me they must be taking feedback and actively fixing issues as they come up.

The only thing that's kinda bugging me is the GPS. Takes a while for it to initialize when I hide it away, and I really don't want to stick it on the dash.
Old 10-26-20, 08:53 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I figured I would add to this.

i have used Grom products since at least 2012/2013, and currently have VLine 2S installed in my 2009 GS and 2015 GS.

In the 2015, the thing is definitely glitchy, but it’s acceptable.

In my 2009, it was glitchy when I first got it, then a few months into ownership, it wouldn’t connect to the car. It took 2 months of back and forth with Grom before they finally took it in for replacement (which ended up just being repair) then had it an additional month and a half for the repair.

Now that it’s back, it’s better, but still glitchy. I understand they are the only ones who provide a service like this, but for how little I utilize the features and CarPlay, all I really use is Bluetooth audio, I can’t say that either unit was worth it, which is really disappointing.

I also have to live with an Acura TLX as my background until GROM updates the unit to where I can change it to at the very least, something less car specific.
Old 10-27-20, 08:05 PM
WillkGS
Driver School Candidate

What kind of glitches do you run into with your 2009? I personally haven't even tried the A2DP Bluetooth streaming since my GS already had that capability. It worked ok but limitations the stock unit had with displaying metadata via bluetooth is what made me start looking at the Groms and Tesla head units. In my case, I feel like I'm making pretty good use of the features, but still can't say for sure if it was worth the money yet. That $600 price tag is steep.

Based on your comments about Grom's support, I do worry about how they'll do if my unit starts acting up.
Old 10-30-20, 04:37 PM
WillkGS
Driver School Candidate

Another week down. Still working well. I've been experimenting with the GPS unit placement and the best spot by far is on top of the dash near the a-pillar. Was really hoping I could keep it hidden away but it just takes too long to initialize the gps location. Is anyone familiar with removing the knee panel on the passenger side so I can hide the cable?

/Edit
​​Nevermind. It was actually pretty easy to just run it along the edge of the floor carpeting under the knee panel. Went out for a drive and it still takes a bit longer to initialize than I'd like though.

Last edited by WillkGS; 10-30-20 at 06:49 PM.
Old 11-01-20, 10:52 AM
dnn
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What product did you use for the USB extension plug? I also use Android Auto and I've been intending to go back in and just run a USB cable from the glovebox thru the transmission tunnel into the center console storage, but that sounds like a cleaner solution.

I love my VLine, for what it's worth. Haven't experienced any of the bugs you described. I did ask a Grom support guy about the fact that the unit stays on when the car is off and confirmed that's a sleep/standby mode. It's supposed to stay that way for 12 hours so it boots instantly when you start the car. He said it draws something like under 7 mA of power, which isn't anything to worry about.
Old 11-01-20, 12:15 PM
WillkGS
Driver School Candidate

This is the USB extension I used:
Amazon Amazon

I thought about buying the 6 foot version, but the 3 footer was plenty. They also have a single-USB version but it's essentially the same price. The plug end was just a hair too wide for the cigarette lighter hole. I had to grind down the threads a little and it eventually fit in there. End result looks like this:

Last edited by WillkGS; 11-01-20 at 05:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
edtbjon (12-09-22)
Old 11-13-20, 06:00 PM
WillkGS
Driver School Candidate

Two more weeks in and no real complaints. I finally connected the microphone to try out the voice commands and I'm glad I did. It works really well with the map apps. Typing in addresses manually is kind of a pain.

There was another VLine software update a few days ago. Seems to be an almost-weekly thing, which is nice. Once I get a hotspot added to the car, I don't expect to really use any of the stock audio stuff unless something starts bugging out.

The only thing I've noticed that's a bit off is when I try to continue playback with Plexamp after starting the car. The "Now Playing" always switches to the XM app and I need to manually re-open Plexamp whenever it's the last app I used. Not sure if that's a launcher issue or something with the app itself when the device goes to sleep, but I opened a ticket with Grom to see if they can do some testing.
Old 11-22-20, 10:36 AM
WillkGS
Driver School Candidate

Update to my Grom ticket... They were very hands-off with their responses. Provided me with a link with Android Media Session guidelines to send to the guys at Plex. So I went to the Plex forums and they were willing to discuss with Grom directly to get a better idea of the Media Session implementation if I could get some contact info. Grom then questioned exactly what I expected them to talk about, which I responded with an I don't know. I'm not a developer, it was Plex that requested the correspondence. They then closed my ticket.

Support grade so far: D- only because they brought up the Media Session implementation being the possible culprit, but their unwillingness to take a few minutes and communicate with them directly (then just closing my ticket) makes me think they don't really give a ****.
The following users liked this post:
mrbondy (11-23-20)

Quick Reply: Grom VLine 2 Impressions/Feedback